Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to wait an extra week almost due to the "Adverse Weather" :nuts: But I'm glad I order this instead of the rga8 or anyother 8 string :lol:

It only took me five minutes to get used to the neck and extra string. :metal:

Anyways, on to the shitty pics :lol:

Now, I just gotta find people that are willing to experement with 8 strings and be open to metal in this town to form a band.:noplease:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: Yeah that is pretty much what I'll have to do. But still to find Metal heads in this town is hard.. stupid Reneck towns :rant:

Anyways, I didn't feel much of a difference from the A7's 25.5" scale to the SCs 27" scale when I started playing it today. Also I can sorta see why people dont like the Pickup set up but it seems to be decent even though it is a weird setup.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
:lol: Yeah that is pretty much what I'll have to do. But still to find Metal heads in this town is hard.. stupid Reneck towns :rant:

Anyways, I didn't feel much of a difference from the A7's 25.5" scale to the SCs 27" scale when I started playing it today. Also I can sorta see why people dont like the Pickup set up but it seems to be decent even though it is a weird setup.
I feel your pain, what with moving from Tampa to Alabama. :lol:

I never noticed an actual difference in feel between 25.5" and 27", but i can definitely feel the change in string tension for the same gauge strigns, and the actual tone of the instrument as well.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel your pain, what with moving from Tampa to Alabama. :lol:

I never noticed an actual difference in feel between 25.5" and 27", but i can definitely feel the change in string tension for the same gauge strigns, and the actual tone of the instrument as well.
that could be what it is then. I'm used to the D'Addario 10-59 7 string set. and according to the Booklet that came with the sc8 10-56 and 68. :shrug: the Locking tuner things are weird too.. (I've never had a guitar with them) I just hope when It comes time to change the strings I don't fuck it up somehow :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
The low F# is a .068? That's just waaaaay too light. I seem to recall most guys using .080.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
that could be what it is then. I'm used to the D'Addario 10-59 7 string set. and according to the Booklet that came with the sc8 10-56 and 68. :shrug: the Locking tuner things are weird too.. (I've never had a guitar with them) I just hope when It comes time to change the strings I don't fuck it up somehow :lol:
Locking tuners are pretty simple. Twist them one way to unlock, pull out the string, pull new string through to a little(seriously, not much) less than the desired pitch, tune to pitch, and then twist the other way to lock.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll get used to changing them one day :lol:

and no way I'm using an 80 on this lol. I saw where some people say it cant take anything bigger than a 72. which would probably be good for me anyways

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Locking tuners are pretty simple. Twist them one way to unlock, pull out the string, pull new string through to a little(seriously, not much) less than the desired pitch, tune to pitch, and then twist the other way to lock.
I always pull strings through as tight as I can manage by hand before locking them down, less turns, I'm lazy :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always pull strings through as tight as I can manage by hand before locking them down, less turns, I'm lazy :lol:
Less turns also equals less slippage. You're not just lazy, you're smart! ;)
:lol: that could explain why the strings came pulled through as tight as whoever did it already though. And apparently it has SIT Strings.

·
Registered
617 Posts

and no way I'm using an 80 on this lol. I saw where some people say it cant take anything bigger than a 72. which would probably be good for me anyways
I had an 80 on my Agile 8 for a while and I found it to be a bit tight, the scale is longer though at something like 28.6. You can fit big strings through the tuner by unwinding some of the outer windings of the string, then passing the core through the tuner hole, though I'm not sure what the locking tuner would be like for that. I'll be trying a .72 next to see how it compares when I do my next string change.

As for playing with people, I played 7's in a band with a 6 string guitarist and a 4 string bassist. Then when I moved to 8 strings, the other guitarist started using one of my 7's and the new bassist has a 5 string. I like playing like that because it can force you to come up with different harmonies and variations of riffs that can sound better than a basic doubling of a part.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ The last "Band" I was in I had a 7 and the other guitarist had a 6. But we only had one shitty song and it was written on a 6 so the Low B didnt get much use.

But I have one friend that is open to playing with 7 or 8 strings. but hes a bassist and doesn't know much more than I do about it :lol:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts

I had a conklin groove tools that had sperzels, which apparently cant take larger than .056. I had a .065 bass string strung throught it by taking off the out wrapping. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts