Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings, Earthlings. Pics are coming.

As many of you know, I bought a Marshall Origin 50 head and paired it with a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab (one of the older Brit ones) stuffed with G12T-75 speakers. This weekend, I did a bit more horse-trading, trying to regroup around a smaller, more manageable setup and working toward the tone I've been chasing.

The Origin 50 is pretty bright. You can roll off your tone pot on the guitar and deal with some of it.

The Origin lives and breaths at top volume. Low power (1W) is a little fizzy. It just is - I played with it for quite a while before switching to 10W and finding the sweet spot. Noon on gain, master at 3:00 or better and you're rocking. I found that the overdrive pedal I was using (Keeley 1962x) was just wrong for it.

For what it's worth, 50W past 3:00 on the master is fucking loud... as if I need to say that. Really loud. Full disclosure, I'm testing all of this with my Les Paul. I'll dig into how the ASATs sound later.

Here comes Friday - I drive 100 miles or so to trade with a guy (no, not the LP... don't know that I'll ever let the Les Paul go) and pick up another G&L ASAT. This is a Z3 and the owner ditched the Z pickups for Lollar Regals (wide range humbuckers.) They're an expensive, boutique pup modeled after the Fender Wide Range pickups.

By Sunday, I'd picked up a Blues Driver - it was an excellent addition. I may look at and SD-1 down the road. At any rate, I spent that day and the week after swapping in guitars and found that any of them sound pretty damned good.

At some point or another, I may look at speakers for the cabinet (maybe Creambacks) but not right now - for right now, this setup is working.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Obviously the pictures.

Of the three guitars, I find myself playing the black ASAT the most right now. It seems to meet with the amp's approval. The sustain is excellent, it responds well to the volume pot, and has both the hair on its balls to play riffs and a sweet, almost nasal tone when I need it.

I have it strung with 11-49 D'Addario strings. I may go a little lighter next time, but only because I'm not used to bending the heavier strings. By the time I'm ready to change strings again, I may just put the same damned thing on... who knows.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Man, you are gear-whoring like a pro :wub:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Sweet!!

I've very much been craving a setup where I can get country/bluesy/EJ/Gilmour tones with and a Tele will certainly be part of it. Every G&L I've ever played has been great.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you, guys. I'm really kinda pleased with the way this setup turned out.

Sweet!!

I've very much been craving a setup where I can get country/bluesy/EJ/Gilmour tones with and a Tele will certainly be part of it. Every G&L I've ever played has been great.
The other I have fits that bill, also, more or less. It's a Bluesboy - the neck pickup is a Seth Lover and the bridge is a G&L MFD. There's all kinds of sounds you can get out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts