Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had this 8-space SKB rack since I was 23. 18 years later, it has not seen any use in the past 13 years and just sits around in the garage. So, I decide to put it on Craigslist for $80.

Typical Craigslist responses:

1. Will you take a check? :noplease:
2. I'll give you $40 for it. :fawk:

Then I get an interesting email. A guy wants to trade me a Western Style acoustic guitar for the rack. I ask for more info and pictures. Pictures come back with "Martin & Co" on the headstock.

Huh.

I call the guy, and it turns out it's not really a Martin. This doesn't surprise me, but I'm still intrigued. I meet up with him and he tells me that Marlboro had these guitars as a promotional item. Smoke enough to get enough points, and you could redeem them for a guitar.

Well, I went ahead and traded. I'll use the guitar more than I'd use the rack. Now I just have to get some new strings to replace what seems like rusted cable. Hell, for an $80 rack I'm not using anymore, I'm satisfied with it. Maybe it'll help me build more chops.

Or, maybe I'll keep it 18 years and trade it for a six pack of soda. :lol: The guy who really got screwed was the one who took in all those toxins and redeemed some points for a cheap guitar. :nuts:

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here ya go:

Martin & Co.
Est. 1833

Complete with outline of decal. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
LOL

So what is it? That looks like my Martin's headstock, but I will admit that I've been drinking. :drew:

Does it smell like smokes? :lol:

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:

Nah, but it has some weird sand-like material in the body that makes a wooshing sound when you turn it upside down.

I'm guessing it's ashes. We'll never know. I'm kind of afraid to shake it out. :lol:

Edit: I have no idea what it is. I've read that they're Martin factory 2nds, but I doubt it.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
:lol:

Nah, but it has some weird sand-like material in the body that makes a wooshing sound when you turn it upside down.

I'm guessing it's ashes. We'll never know. I'm kind of afraid to shake it out. :lol:

Edit: I have no idea what it is. I've read that they're Martin factory 2nds, but I doubt it.
Ah, I was watching that on eBay. :lol:

Rumours are rife, I'm actually waiting to hear back from Roger at Martin guitars about these. :lol: Some say factory 2nds, some say officially licensed imports, either way, good enough guitars for the money and they don't sound completely awful.

The whooshing sound inside it is either silica gel or a dust ball - feel free to remove it. In the case of vintage violins, however, it is customary to leave the dust balls in. :lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, as long as it's got a solid wood top (and it's not one of those pressboard/particleboard pieces of shit,) then it's a winner, no matter how modest the exchange. Those pressboard tops sound muffled and dull.

Nice new fiddle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts