Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the RG a little under a month ago, and with a whole list of shit going wrong, missing parts, needing to replace parts, I finally got around to getting all the mods together and putting it all together yesterday!

Sounds fan-fucking-tastic. Super responsive and bright, I can't wait to use it live! :metal:

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
That looks so badass but clean at the same time! HNGD (My Ibanez GAS nerve is twitching!)

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
That looks super fucking tasty :agreed:

the white trim on the pickguard really sets it off :yum:

once I've strung mine up I'll post some more pics too.

also, maple fretboards or GTFO

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers chaps, she's a beaut. Not perfect just yet. Could do with a fret level, as it's juuuust a bit too buzzy in a few areas for my liking (tbh it's 14 years old) and I also noticed it's got a nut shim which looks to be completely unnecessary, so that'll come right out. It's making the action on the 1st fret higher than it needs to be. I'm used to the 1st fret action on my Charvel which barely requires touching to fret the note.

Wirelessly posted

What EMGs and do you do an 18v mod?
No just standard 9v. It's an 81/85 set that Purist very lovingly and charitably gave to me!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Beautiful. Normally black guitars do nothing for me, especially with a black pickguard, but that white trim really sets it off nice.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
thinking of deleting the middle pickup on mine since the day I got it. Questin: did you change out the toggle switch, or bridge the connections on it for some sort of bucking coil tap, or is the middle position a 'kill switch'?

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
No just standard 9v. It's an 81/85 set that Purist very lovingly and charitably gave to me!
That's the spirit :flex:

Ok, so I haven't tried that 18v mod yet but I've tried 58, 85, 60A in the bridge and nothing sounds as good as the 81. That's all personal preference, of course.

The only downside is that the 81 IS quite thin/bottomless, but usually that's not a big deal "in the mix" because you don't have to use a highpass filter when recording :)

On-topic; GREAT looking. If I got a 550 I would do pretty much EXACTLY what you did (81/85 with no tone knob) even tho I would prefer a red or yellow or white body ;)

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's why I love the 81 though tbh, it sounds pre-processed coming out the guitar. Despite the bass roll-off, it still sounds quite "wide" which compensates for the lack of low end IMO. It's focused, but not harsh.

thinking of deleting the middle pickup on mine since the day I got it. Questin: did you change out the toggle switch, or bridge the connections on it for some sort of bucking coil tap, or is the middle position a 'kill switch'?
Yeah I changed the toggle to a simple 3-way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts