Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, why not? Lens flare makes everything better, too.

I've been wanting to check one of these out for a while now, and this one was open-box, and on sale. Picked it up for $400. It won't touch the Roadster, but I figure it's a pretty decent, cheap direct recording tool.

Will post some clips at some point, once I actually get it setup.

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Very nice. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's pretty fuckin' cool out of the box, I'll tell ya that. I have it hooked up to the Ubermonitors right now. :flex: Note awesome speaker cable, the right gauge for such crushing epic Tascam goodness. :lol:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
What i want to know is - As an effects only unit, how does it hold up. And also, how would you compare it to the axe in that reguard.

I'm looking for an fx only board, but the axe is just overkill for me(plus i need toobz)

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
And for sale in 3...2...1...

:lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And for sale in 3...2...1...

:lol:
Well, I never say never. I may "flip" a lot of gear, but as history will show, it's almost never for a profit. Usually I buy expensive shit and then sell it to you guys at like a 25% loss when I decide I don't like it. :lol: I'm not one of those guys that comes out and posts how awesome his new gear is just to make it more appealing when I go to sell it.

This, however, isn't part of my "Real" rig. I needed something that would sound half decent directly recorded, and wasn't $2000. For $400, it should do the job, and if it sucks, I can still use it in front of my other amp (S160/Recto 412) for when friends like ol' Drew come over to jam. Having two complete rigs is always handy. :yesway:

My initial thought is that I dig it, though I'm just farting with stock presets through headphones. The front panel is pretty intuitive, and switching models/effects is about 5,498e+Leon% easier than every other Line 6 thing I've used. You tap the right D-pad to the effect, then the 4 knobs below it become the settings. I like this. :yesway:

If it can do a decent Recto impersonation direct into Reaper, enough for me to just arrange songs easily, it'll be well worth it to me. I won't use 95% of the other shit that it does. :lol:

When I eventually do finish an album, I'll mic the roadster, but for now I just want to be able to arrange w/headphones. :drew:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What i want to know is - As an effects only unit, how does it hold up. And also, how would you compare it to the axe in that reguard.

I'm looking for an fx only board, but the axe is just overkill for me(plus i need toobz)
FX Only, I'd go with the TC Nova. I had one, loved the effects, but really like my unit (giggity) in my rack where I can fuck with it at will. I'll see how this guy works in front of the Roadster though for ya.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the software editor. I will say this about Line6 stuff - their delivery system (Monkey) works great, and I've never had a problem getting any of my devices of theirs up and running pretty quickly. In about 5 minutes I had all of my software and drivers downloaded, and flashed the 500 to the current version.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
:yesway: The editing software looks better than the one for the X3. I'm interested in this, as I'll likely be picking up one of these, or a used X3 Live as the main part of my "live rig" sometime in the coming months.
The software editor for the HD500 is complete rubbish compared to what GearBox was. That was my biggest complaint when I first got mine. I believe my first quote upon loading up the software at band practice was that I could take a diarrhea shit on a keyboard and program something more functional than POD HD500 Edit. Maybe I just liked gearbox a bit too much... Even with all of its flaws.. like functions being located where you would expect them to be and not in alternate menus and such.

Chris, you'd probably do well to download the advanced manual off the Line 6 site and look over it. They hide a lot of the more common features :nuts: behind multi-use buttons.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The software editor for the HD500 is complete rubbish compared to what GearBox was. That was my biggest complaint when I first got mine. I believe my first quote upon loading up the software at band practice was that I could take a diarrhea shit on a keyboard and program something more functional than POD HD500 Edit. Maybe I just liked gearbox a bit too much... Even with all of its flaws.. like functions being located where you would expect them to be and not in alternate menus and such.

Chris, you'd probably do well to download the advanced manual off the Line 6 site and look over it. They hide a lot of the more common features :nuts: behind multi-use buttons.
I had Gearbox on my old Toneport. It was definitely nice. For what I need, I think this will do the job since by now I pretty much know how I like 99% of my effects (delay ms, decays, etc). Really I'm just hoping that I can get a passable Mesa tone out of it, and judging by the vids I've seen, I should be able to.

Will fuck with it a bunch this weekend, and for $400, it really is a nice unit. It's a lot bigger than I though it would be. (giggity)

However.. No fucking power switch. :mad:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
However.. No fucking power switch. :mad:
That drives me crazy as well lol. I've been tempted to mod my cord and place an old school lamp switch on it :lol:

I don't really have any tips for getting a Mesa tone... Definitely not the sort of thing I aim for, but if you get something good, I'd be interested in checking out the patch if you're inclined to share.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.