Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I'm actually gonna pick one of these up (in black) based on your Hipshot swap. That and an 81-8/808 set. Looks awesome man!

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Badass, man. Talk to Bill before you order the hardtail though. He needs to send you a special baseplate with straight holes otherwise it wont fit the RG8.
Of course you'll be making clips after you get it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Guitar sucks for having two too many strings, but this post had not one, but two quality blankets/throws.

Fuck that is a sweet Yngwie blanket. Leopard cliplock on this at once.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guitar sucks for having two too many strings, but this post had not one, but two quality blankets/throws.

Fuck that is a sweet Yngwie blanket. Leopard cliplock on this at once.
OT: But where did you get that awesome plectrum made?
:lol: you guys are A.D.D., man.

The grizzly bear fur throw is at my house, and the leopard fleece throw is at Matt's house.
I almost went into a very detailed story about how I championed the fur while braving my more youthful years in the Yukon - just for you, Garrett. Almost.

IntuneGP made them, Ryan :metal:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Sweet!

Is the .104 and .080 next to the two tuners the maximum string gauge they will take? If so I believe your low F# needs an uber manly string.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Yeah, that top is STUNNING! Ryan, was the hipshot a direct swap, or did you end up with screw holes showing?

And I got a bag of picks from intunegp too - worked out to be cheaper then getting regular picks too - I think I got 100 for about £15 - all customised.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet!

Is the .104 and .080 next to the two tuners the maximum string gauge they will take? If so I believe your low F# needs an uber manly string.
Yep! The seller I got these from pre-drills for larger strings. I personally don't like playing with bridge cables so I went to the String Tension Pro tool and figured out what custom set I'd need to have it playing like 9's on a 25.5" scale. For this guitar @ 27", it's 8-80 in E-E-e tuning. Around 15lbs per string balanced across the board. Plays like butter. :metal:

Yeah, that top is STUNNING! Ryan, was the hipshot a direct swap, or did you end up with screw holes showing?

And I got a bag of picks from intunegp too - worked out to be cheaper then getting regular picks too - I think I got 100 for about £15 - all customised.
Thanks, man! The original bridge plate was a tad larger so I had to fill the holes with wood filler - as shown in the pictures :lol:
Then theres the matter of the Hipshot bridge plate coming with staggered string-through holes. You have to order one with straight holes by contacting Hipshot directly.

Nice pick, I see how the words make an eye.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Not into 8s (well you know that already) but looks nice man! Funny how your hardware cost as much as the axe though :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I like the look of those. :yesway:

·
Banned
355 Posts
Took an already pretty cool guitar and made it sex.

I recently put some hipshots on a guitar of mine, and they make all the difference in the world.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wirelessly posted (The Balrog)

Philkilla said:
Took an already pretty cool guitar and made it sex.

I recently put some hipshots on a guitar of mine, and they make all the difference in the world.
Exactly, man. I saw immediate gains by adding that hardtail. The brass plate and stainless saddles definitely did good things :yesway:

Not to mention the tuning stability and ease of string changes with the open locking tuners.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Wirelessly posted (The Balrog)

Exactly, man. I saw immediate gains by adding that hardtail. The brass plate and stainless saddles definitely did good things :yesway:

Not to mention the tuning stability and ease of string changes with the open locking tuners.
Indeed. I posted a love thread recently about hipshot tuners. I installed them on my KM7 (which fortunately has a hipshot bridge stock) and those tuners can take some serious abuse. If I tried to bend a note beyond the nut the schecter locking tuners would go out in a heartbeat, but the hipshots just hold for days.

Also, did you notice a tonal difference with the bridge? I loved mine from the get-go, but wonder what the difference is going from the stock ibanez unit to a hipshot.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, did you notice a tonal difference with the bridge? I loved mine from the get-go, but wonder what the difference is going from the stock ibanez unit to a hipshot.
I mean, I could start sniffing a cork and tell you there's more of a ~2KHz "bite" to the tone from the stainless and brass...But, I'll just say I definitely heard a difference; and there's more sustain too. The best part for me is the palm-feel of the bridge. It's smoother and more ergo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts