Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rick brought this to Summer Slaughter when we played in NYC a few days ago.
It really is just something else when it comes to guitar design and philosophy.

Now I didn't tell him what I wanted so much as I told him what sort of aesthetic I was into, and from there he interpreted my answers and made a guitar that he thought I would like and that would be appropriate for me.

Honestly I have never played anything like this before, in some ways I feel like this is Guitar 2.0. Everything about the guitar, from its shape to hardware and control placement is very deliberate. A truly ergonomic guitar, and thanks to the Swamp Ash body and fully Aluminum Neck, it has this insane attack to it.
The pickups were custom made for the instrument by Steve Blucher from Dimarzio, as the Aluminum neck gives the guitar certain tonal properties that are different from a wood necked guitar.
Very excited to keep using this on tour, it really is something else!

Here are pics:

For more info on Rick Toone and his incredible instruments, go here:
Rick Toone | Luthier: S2 | Guitar

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
This is perhaps the most literal interpretation of "metal guitar". The headstock is a bottle opener.

And despite the neck being absolutely absurdly thin, it's VERY playable.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I think it looks ugly as fuck. Most of the time, ergonomic stuff looks weird, but feels great. And while i think its ugly as fuck, it looks functionally pretty badass and looks like it would be comfy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't even understand this guitar. Definitely interesting though!

Bit weird with the pot placements though.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
What'd you tell him, post-industriual muscle car crossed with a WWII fighter plane, but for a beer drinker?

Interesting guitar, though.

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What'd you tell him, post-industriual muscle car crossed with a WWII fighter plane, but for a beer drinker?

Interesting guitar, though.
Not far off actually! I told him steam/cyberpunk mixed with an F-22/F-35 haha.

I don't even understand this guitar. Definitely interesting though!

Bit weird with the pot placements though.
I love the placement of the knobs, everything kinda makes sense and throws what we are used to out of the window and works in things that make sense from a player's perspective.

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
Nice dude, doesnt look like youll have to worry about breaking anything if you drop it, looks solid as fuck.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Not something I would own however I'd still play the fuck out of that!

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I love the raw mechanical look of this thing. I'm just not sure if it should have strings or wheels.:scratch:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts