Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a little known fact that I actually have an entire album composed. Seriously. It's been written forever, sans solos, because I figure I'll get better and rewrite them anyway by the time I retire and actually record it.

Anyway, I have a drummer that's coming along nicely, but in the meantime I fucking SUCK with DKFH. I have no ear for it. I hear the shit in my head, plunk it down on the computer, and it sucks. So I need something to compose with that's better than my trusty ol' PMA-5 that I've had for ages.

Enter this little fella:

It totally kicks ass. Sounds great, easy as hell to program and is small enough to fit in my luggage so that I can tap out scratch drums when I'm stuck in hotels in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

That said, if anyone recalls/gives a shit, I had my Toneport UX1 running with the MBP. But the problem is that the UX1 is basically a PodXT, and I don't really like the PodXT. I rent guitars wherever I go, and wanted to be able to make decent recordings w/o having to use the UX1. I have the MOTU 8Pre fr home, but it's 1U and kind of a pain in the dick to lug around.

So enter this guy here:

10 in, 6 out, ruggedized and shielded with phantom power? For a couple hundred bucks?! Shit, why not! :metal:

Now, I've got a bunch of mics, which I use mostly to record my acoustics because getting tone from the UX1 or anything else in my life thus far into Reaper/Cubase/Whatever has sucked. Since I have the Roadster now, it seemed only prudent to pick up one of these, which I oddly didn't own.

As soon as I get it all dialed in, clips will be forthcoming! :metal:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
remember, gain and volume all the way up, all the time

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
That drum machine intrigues me. I can't wait to hear it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds pretty sweet! Still obviously a drum machine, but the stock presets are pretty good, and about 2 minutes after I plugged it in I was jamming over it happily. :yesway:

I'd love to tell you how the Presonus item works, but I can't wire it to the iMac since it comes with a oval-end FW cable, and the iMac has the square kind.. :lol:

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
It is a little known fact, but some of us do know about the album in your head. When is that coming out?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a little known fact, but some of us do know about the album in your head. When is that coming out?
Drums kill me. :( It'd be done ages ago otherwise. I'm going to (re)scratch track it all out with the SR18, and as soon as that's done I can toss it to a buddy of mine that's a sick jazz/fusion drummer, and give him something listenable to work with.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It sounds pretty sweet! Still obviously a drum machine, but the stock presets are pretty good, and about 2 minutes after I plugged it in I was jamming over it happily. :yesway:

I'd love to tell you how the Presonus item works, but I can't wire it to the iMac since it comes with a oval-end FW cable, and the iMac has the square kind.. :lol:
Yeah, looks to be FW400, and the iMac only has FW800 ports now. Curious; how come you just didn't get a USB drumpad if you've already got DKFH?

ControlPad USB-MIDI Pad Controller

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, looks to be FW400, and the iMac only has FW800 ports now. Curious; how come you just didn't get a USB drumpad if you've already got DKFH?

ControlPad USB-MIDI Pad Controller
I had one, I forget what the hell it was but I sucked with that thing too. :lol: All I'm looking for is something to get basic beat structure down with so that I can send my drummer something listenable, since he'll need to listen to each track quite a bit to get ideas. I don't want to subject him to a click track for hours on end.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Drums kill me. :( It'd be done ages ago otherwise. I'm going to (re)scratch track it all out with the SR18, and as soon as that's done I can toss it to a buddy of mine that's a sick jazz/fusion drummer, and give him something listenable to work with.
Are you going to record it yourself, or do it in a studio? If you're going to do it yourself, track everything else with some scratch drums, and do the drums last in a local studio.

That's what I did. I sequenced all the drums and keys, tracked them, then tracked the guitars. The bass was last, and I just had Dave come in and do those tracks in an afternoon.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you going to record it yourself, or do it in a studio? If you're going to do it yourself, track everything else with some scratch drums, and do the drums last in a local studio.

That's what I did. I sequenced all the drums and keys, tracked them, then tracked the guitars. The bass was last, and I just had Dave come in and do those tracks in an afternoon.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Half of my album is acoustic anyway, so that's the easy part. The heavy tunes will be the mic'd up Roaster. :yesway:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Haha, awesome. I had an SR16 for the longest time. I now use a drum program that's not all crazy like having to program with DKFH called "leafDrums." You can use .wav samples and I've "recorded" a hit here and there from DKFH. Makes it helluva lot easier.

Chris, ever try a Sennheiser E609? I like it more than a 57.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
DFH is waaaaaaaaaaay easier if you sequence in a MIDI tab editor, like Guitar Pro. You can track all your time and tempo changes, and hell, compose your whole song. Then you can use a MIDI editor in a host DAW, like Reaper, to tweak. Multi track out, add plug-ins as desired, and viola.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm going to (re)scratch track it all out with the SR18, and as soon as that's done I can toss it to a buddy of mine that's a sick jazz/fusion drummer, and give him something listenable to work with.
ME too. :yesway:

Um, except, my drummer buddy already has my scratch track demos. :fawk:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Chris, I though you owned an Audix i5?
He does. They actually sound relatively different, though- the i5 is a bit brighter, bassier, and more scooped, while the SM57 is more midrangey. Long story short, they compliment each other pretty damned well.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He does. They actually sound relatively different, though- the i5 is a bit brighter, bassier, and more scooped, while the SM57 is more midrangey. Long story short, they compliment each other pretty damned well.
:agreed:

I doubletrack my rhythms, so my initial thought is one w/the 57, one with the i5. I use condensers for my acoustic stuff.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DFH is waaaaaaaaaaay easier if you sequence in a MIDI tab editor, like Guitar Pro. You can track all your time and tempo changes, and hell, compose your whole song. Then you can use a MIDI editor in a host DAW, like Reaper, to tweak. Multi track out, add plug-ins as desired, and viola.
It's not the actual sequencing that is my problem, it's the fact that I write very shitty drum lines. :lol:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
It's not the actual sequencing that is my problem, it's the fact that I write very shitty drum lines. :lol:
I suppose it helps if one actually plays drums, yeah. Knowing what goes where, and when, definitely helps. For me, since I play, I hear the drum beats in my head a lot of times when writing or arranging guitar and bass stuff, or even vocal lines. So, I know where to start.

You sound like a drummer helper would be in order, indeedy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts