Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

thought I'd share this with you here since I already made a build story over at the caparison forum I wont bore you with the details of every step of the guitars creation.

But the back story is I had a Maple Neck/Maple board made for my Horus YellowSand which meant I had a spare Caparison Neck. I had a word with the Luthier who was making the neck and asked if he could make me a Custom Horus Body to fit the spare neck to.

Any ways pictures speak louder then words :p

Specs are

Mahogany Body. Rosewood Top, ivoroid binding.
Hannes Bridge, Caparison PH-R in the bridge Dimarzio Chopper in the Neck.
Push Push pots 3 way selector.
Caparison Horus Neck, Maple and Rosewood.
Schaller Locking tuners.
Tuned to B standard.

Its a HGS scale (24.75 inch + 3mm extra on the bridges placement)

Im trying to think if i missed anything out >.<

If i did I'll just edit the post or something. Any ways hope you like it :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely love it. I'd pay rather a lot for that.

I do find it funny how many recent builds have had blatant Blackmachine feature ripoffs, though...
yeap copying a blackmachine

which is a copy of an Ibanez RG body

Which is a copy of the early Jacksons

which are a copy of the first Fenders

you see where this is going right ?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
yeap copying a blackmachine

which is a copy of an Ibanez RG body

Which is a copy of the early Jacksons

which are a copy of the first Fenders

you see where this is going right ?
Absolutely. It leads to awesome fucking guitar. That is gorgeous man! Clips! :yesway:

Its a HGS scale (24.75 inch + 3mm extra on the bridges placement)
:yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
I think it's kinda sad. :noplease:

The binding, the chamfered armrest, the bevels on the back...
Maybe a bit unfortunate, but inevitable. I don't think anyone is trying to disrespect Doug (even though he might think so). His guitars are in extremely high demand, and who even knows what he's been up to this year besides those couple of b6's that popped up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Absolutely. It leads to awesome fucking guitar. That is gorgeous man! Clips! :yesway:

:yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:
Clips will be incoming, I dont have a great recording rig, i need to get a mic and I'll use my POD X3 as a sound card.

Looks like a Huf body.
Its an exact copy of the Horus guitar shape

I think it's kinda sad. :noplease:

The binding, the chamfered armrest, the bevels on the back...
Heh, the cosmetics of the guitar are comparable but its a Caparison design with some modifications. I dont see you getting upset that I've copied the integral features of a Horus?

Maybe a bit unfortunate, but inevitable. I don't think anyone is trying to disrespect Doug (even though he might think so). His guitars are in extremely high demand, and who even knows what he's been up to this year besides those couple of b6's that popped up.
I think doug is asking for around £2000 for something similar?

He didn't invent any of that. It's one thing to rip off the guys headstock, that's his own, but everything else he does has been done.
^what he said :D

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
I dont think its unfortunate at all :p I paid practically nothing for this <£200 because most of the parts come from me.

I think doug is asking for around £2000 for something similar?
It's unfortunate because Doug has a very specific set of specifications on his guitars, though almost none of them are original, his combination of them is unique. The reason his builds are much higher than what you paid (I thought around $4000) is becuase you're not paying for the aesthetic alone. You're paying for HIM to build it. The neck is hand carved as only he can carve it, etc.

Just so there's no confusion, you're guitar is super nice. :agreed:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It's unfortunate because Doug has a very specific set of specifications on his guitars, though almost none of them are original, his combination of them is unique. The reason his builds are much higher than what you paid (I thought around $4000) is becuase you're not paying for the aesthetic alone. You're paying for HIM to build it. The neck is hand carved as only he can carve it, etc.

Just so there's no confusion, you're guitar is super nice. :agreed:
ty for the compliment but I have this to say.

So what you're saying is.

you're paying for a Brand. ie my guitar is made by Doug, its one of Dougs guitars so it automatically makes it superior. Cause Doug made it.

Lets get this right. Unless doug is magicking up the wood out of the aether and then gnawing the wood into shape and the imbuing the thing with magical powers +4 stam or what ever then he is just...

Manufacturing guitars? :O

Can you not see this guitar is actually a rip off of a Caparison ? This is kind of like saying that the rims on a $400 shit box car are the same as the rims on a Mercedes worth $500,000 ergo the 2 are comparable?

The cosmetic elements which are similar to a BlackMachine are ... the binding? The chamfer? and the tapered chamfer on the front?

The body shape, The neck and the neck pick up are caparison design.

Surely you should be pointing this out over some cosmetic comparisons to a BM

Your point reminds me of this.

edit

wtf is the bb code for imbedding a yt video on this forum XD

woops!

looks like it parses the text automatically XD haha

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.