Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showed up today. I've only had about half an hour to play around with it, and am about to head out to my Drummer's place with the Roadster, so this is a short "review".

First, the goods. It's heavy, well built, and looks awesome. The power cord is a standard PC-style cord, so it being universal and not having a wall wart is always a plus. Pardon the high ISO shots, lighting sucks in here right now.

It's the absolute perfect height to snug right into the bottom of the cab. This can't be an accident, because it's too awesome:

The floor money shot:

And where it'll be for the next few days while I RTFM.

I have one more pic, and the pic describes the biggest shortcoming:

What am I doing here? Why, I'm REACHING DOWN TO UNPLUG IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A FUCKING POWER SWITCH. :mad: Seriously, I want to find the first guy to think this was a good idea and punch him in the face. I don't want to run a rack power strip, and I don't want to unplug it every time I turn my amp off. I just want a power switch. Why is that so hard? Why do so many companies do this? :mad:

Anyway..

Out of the box, it was a little odd to configure. I have it in the loop, and it took me ten minutes to get any sound out of my amp at all with it - at first I thought I had a bad cable. Don't quote me yet, but it seems like I have to jack the output level up on it to match my amp's output normally. As soon as I'd turn the loop on, my amp volume would be almost inaudible. So matching the output level on this so that the volume didn't go up/down when I kicked the loop on was the first thing I did.

The drive section's inoperable in loop mode, and I don't want it anyway, so I didn't screw with it and won't. The effects sound pretty damn good, though all of the stock settings (so far) kinda blow. Once I figure out how to make presets, and how to actually change them with my foot (seriously, it's not as easy as you think, or as it looks) I'm sure they'll be a lot better. But so far, the reverb rules, the delay is nice and clean and the chorus took me 2 seconds to dial in Pull Me Under.

The no-plug nonsense is a huge negative for me, but since the tuner on it is nowhere near as good as my trusty Korg, I'll probably suck it up and put a 4-space rack next to it with tuner, power strip, wireless (maybe?) and something else. I have it all run into an APC UPS right now anyway, but power conditioning is never a bad thing and I can always use more plugs. I was just hoping to get away from racks altogether, but it seems that it is not to be. :lol:

So.. No real rating just yet, will fuck around with it a LOT tomorrow, but I'm off to destroy the world tonight with the Roadster and my drummer and leaving this guy at home because I'll be well inebriated in a couple of hours. :drew:

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
It's a good idea to have the 4 space rack with the power supply and tuner. I do that too. I was really glad to have the PSU when the breaker tripped at a gig.

I even built a pedal board out of a 1U rack shelf so it slips right into the bottom 2 spaces of the rack. I bolted the pedals to the shelf so I just slip the shelf into the rack, hand-tighten 2 rack screws, and my pedals are protected and portable without having to carry the pedals in separately. :yesway:

I also bolted my amp switch to the rack shelf. I really have to get pictures. Maybe I'll do that tonight since it's a NGD anyway.

[action=Ken]will charge you no royalties if you decide to buy a 1U rack shelf and mount your Nova on it. :yoda:[/action]

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Why not just get a surge-protected power strip and plug everything into that? Then, you can just hit the switch on that with your foot.

That is pretty dumb, though. My GMajor has a power switch on the front that it doesn't even need. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bitch is that I have two extremely nice 8-spacers, and I don't think Guitar Center would let me downgrade for free. :mad:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just get a surge-protected power strip and plug everything into that? Then, you can just hit the switch on that with your foot.
Because it's sloppy. :( I am the world's neatest man dude. I even organize my picks and my sock drawer. My desk is spotless, my car is vacuumed twice a week. I have crazy ADD about that kind of shit. :lol:

The thing is, I bought this INSTEAD of a G-Major because I didn't want to have a secondary rack. :(

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Maybe you should return it and get a G Major then? If you're going to have to have a rack, it seems silly not to. Then you might as well get a midi board to control the G Major, and am amp gizmo to control the Mesa via midi for full one pedal patch changes, and, and, and... :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Seriously, you can pick up a Furman power strip for about $30 when they go on sale. Make yourself a small pedalboard with a stomp tuner, your 808, and the Nova System, with the power strip on the back.

Oh wait, it can't be a small board... the Roadster footswitch is about a mile long. Build yourself an awesome pedalboard with the power conditioner, footswitch, Nova System, stomp tuner, and 808 and you can avoid the rack altogether.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I'm a pretty neat and tidy person myself, and I still prefer to plug my stuff into a power strip, and just turn the whole thing off all at once when I'm done.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've come up with a solution!

Sort of. :lol: A 2-space rack will go here tomorrow, methinks. I like my amp where it is, and I don't want another bigass rack sitting next to it.

For now, it works!

Anyway, a buddy of mine's band is playing locally tonight, so I'm not going north, but going the next town over later on so I've been playing around with the Nova for about an hour.

It's great. :yesway: I (obviously) haven't gotten totally into all of the settings yet, but so far:

Reverbs: Ace, way better than the Mesa.
Chorus: Pretty damn good! I use it sparingly and this will do nicely.
Boost: Hey, this does exactly what the 808 does! I still won't use it, maybe for leads.
Compressor: At first glance, it's just ok. If I set a hard limit on it, you can really hear it kick in. Will need to tweak, since I only really use this for high gain shit and to boost the low end on clean tones.
Delay: Seems pretty good, I was able to quickly patch in the same settings as my favorite 2101 delays, and they sound very similar.

So with my uber one-button setup (note the tuner on the side :lol:) this will definitely work. Preset programming is kind of a pain in the dick, but patch changes are quick enough.

The tuner sucks. It has a hard time picking up my low B, and wants nothing to do with the F# on the RGA, but I won't use it anyway.

All in all, after a few hours, very happy with it. Plus, it's built like a tank. :metal:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seriously, you can pick up a Furman power strip for about $30 when they go on sale. Make yourself a small pedalboard with a stomp tuner, your 808, and the Nova System, with the power strip on the back.

Oh wait, it can't be a small board... the Roadster footswitch is about a mile long. Build yourself an awesome pedalboard with the power conditioner, footswitch, Nova System, stomp tuner, and 808 and you can avoid the rack altogether.
This. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a pretty neat and tidy person myself, and I still prefer to plug my stuff into a power strip, and just turn the whole thing off all at once when I'm done.
But where do you put a big, ugly, unsightly power strip?!

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
But where do you put a big, ugly, unsightly power strip?!
:lol: Good point.

I'm fortunate. I use a Behringer 2x12 100W amp as my main, and it runs stereo out into a Behringer 4x12. Well, the 2x12 has a nice little empty spot behind it, and everything is routed to the back, and plugged into a strip. I can turn it all off with one switch.

A head? Not so much, eh? :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put it in between my Fender Power Chorus 2 x 12 combo and my 2 2 x 12 cabs for my Mesa Simul 2:90/Digitech 2112/Lexicon Jam Man rack! Looks beautiful!
:D

I think you need to go with my Smooshed-Samson technique!

The upside of this power conditioner is the plug in the front. It comes in handy all the fuckin' time, for shit like plugging in the vacuum, charging my digital *** batteries, etc.

I might just man up tomorrow and make myself a custom 2-spacer to fit the tuner and the PC, that's the same width as the cab so that it sits flush. I could probably do something nifty with fans too. Both of them are so shallow, it could be pretty ace.

I wonder if I can go and buy black diamond plate somewhere? :idea:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

You can buy diamond plate and flat black spray paint at Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
The tuner sucks. It has a hard time picking up my low B, and wants nothing to do with the F# on the RGA, but I won't use it anyway.
Check the manual for tuner settings. I cannot speak to your unit, but the GMajor has a 7-string setting that you have to turn on to pick up the low notes.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
One of the things i love about the G-System is that the brain can be put in a rack and the pedalboard is just linked via a nice neat Cat5 cable. (I bought a ruggedized one with locking ends.)

G-System

Also, that "7-string mode" must be a feature unique to the G-Major. Not even their "flagship" G-System has it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts