Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I just picked this work of art up recently in a trade. This is made by the one and only Ulrich Teuffel.

Initial thoughts:
Top notch design, crafstmanship and finish in my opinion. Unique and ergonomic approach. Unlike anything else in my collection.

A few things to note. The body design going over the neck forces me to use better technique when playing the guitar, and I find sitting in classical position is the ideal way to play the guitar. I am historically not the biggest fan of Tune-O-Matic bridges, but this one being recessed makes it quite nice actually. This guitar has a certain "directness" to the notes that only a select few of the guitars in my collection share (Blackmachine B2, PRS Modern Eagle 1, Rick Toone S2). Very impressive!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm curious about two things… how does it play, and how does it sound? I think you're the first person i know who's actually laid hands on one. (Mehtab doesn't count.)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Nice! I've wanted one of those for *years*

·
Read Only
10 Posts
On the upside, if you ever get tired of that ugly fuckin' thing, Jordan Rudess will buy it off of you. :wub:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Thats trippy looking, I've never seen one of those before. I have a bad habit of having my thumb over the top and can see how it would encourage you to use a more proper thumb to back of neck approach.

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious about two things… how does it play, and how does it sound? I think you're the first person i know who's actually laid hands on one. (Mehtab doesn't count.)
Honest thoughts? It plays fantastically, though it did arrive with action that is a bit low for my taste (notes are sounding a bit choked, even though there is actually no buzz). The adjustable nut should make it possible for me to get everything about as perfect as I could hope for when I do set it up.

The design makes it a bit lopsided if you don't sit in the classical position with the guitar, and since I tend to put my thumb around the fretboard, this actually forces me to play with better technique, but obviously that means it does not feel exactly ideal for me in that sense. It's not a deal breaker though, which is what I was genuinely worried about.

The pickups are a bit weak sounding for my taste honestly, maybe I am spoiled by the BKPs. Low output does not have to mean thin sounding, but unfortunately the pickups sound a bit thin and brittle for my taste. I was told they were PAF based, so I was hoping for something like the BKP Mule set, which is low output but is so fat and sweet and warm sounding. Perhaps Tim could rewind these to be Juggs or Mules. As far as the character of the guitar itself, it has a lot of natural sustain, everything resonates nicely, and the notes have a ton of attack (like when I was alluding to the "directness" of the notes), so this bodes well for it to sound amazing with pickups that are more to my taste.

All in all, it really is fantastic and unique, fit and finish are absolutely top notch, the neck profile feels like a thin round profile, not dissimilar to my Jackson sig, so I'm definitely a fan of that. Radius is comfy, not sure what it is, doesn't feel as flat as my sig (20"), so I would guess 12-16".

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but I'd hope/I'm sure it's an amazing piece. The neck wood is fantastic. Is the body solid? Looks dense, like it'd be heavy.

Also: the next tesla you get better be a P85D.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Funnily enough, I saw a 7 string one of these for sale on eBay the other day, and was intrigued by its weird looks and preposterous price. The one I was looking at has extra knobs and dials to make it sound like an old guitar.

The description made it sound interesting, especially the bit about the carve of the body where it joins the neck on the bass side, to allow comfortable access.

It's not entirely ugly (I can dig its retro idea of futuristic design), but I'm firmly a Super Strat guy, so it's not my bag.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Note that the typical Tesla pickups are supposed to be very attack-y and Stratty-sounding. You can get custom ones from Teuffel, though, and he can wind them to be warmer or more jazzy or higher-output. He even made a custom Tesla with a single bridge EMG 707 (for some godawful reason :lol:).

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I think I finally figured it out. Your NGD pictures all have the same color scheme as Borderlands.

(cool guitar :wub:)

Reactions: 1
1 - 19 of 19 Posts