Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to admit i've always used to think about PRS guitars as rich guitar-playing lawyer's wall trophy guitars. then one day i found a pretty good deal (that means: affordable for a PhD student's salary) on this mint 2nd hand 10-top PRS custom 22 and decided to give it a try... do you know that feeling when you grab a guitar hit the first chord and feel instantly connected to the instrument and inspired to play? that was exactly my first reaction after trying it out. this guitar has become my main player since then.

here's the specs: mahagony body + neck w/ maple top, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, transparent black flamed maple finish, birds inlays, PRS locking tuners, stoptail bridge, PRS Dragon II pickups, wide fat neck, 5-way rotary pickup selector

i was first sceptical about the intonation with the PRS stoptail, but it intonated flawlessly with standard gauges, and (to my surprise) even with a .52 - .10 set, so i won't be replacing that anytime soon :)

this is the first guitar i own i feel like it's perfect from stock. The Dragon II pickups are the perfect blend of vintage and modern tones, and the hardware, wiring and fret-work and setup of this guitar is amongst the best i've encountered.

anyway, on to the pics! (these are actually the pics the original seller took)

i'll post some selfmade pics as soon as we get some fucking sunlight here in germany :mad:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Gorgeous. :yesway:

I'm not sure what you string with or tune to, but if it's not 9's or 10s in or near standard you're probably going to want to swap that bridge for something adjustable. Otherwise, that's a fucking awesome guitar. :D

·
Banned
417 Posts
I just came

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
My only problem with PRS is that they look so incredibly stunning, and then I know I am not going to like how it sounds. :/

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
My only problem with PRS is that they look so incredibly stunning, and then I know I am not going to like how it sounds. :/
Dont like the humming rumble thing theyve got going in the lowend?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Dont like the humming rumble thing theyve got going in the lowend?
Don't like the midrange. It is some some indistinct thickness that I cannot quite describe, but I never really cared for it. My favorite PRS guitars are the pre-'96 bolt-ons. THOSE are awesome guitars. The modern Custom 22, 24, and McCartney's just don't do it for me.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Don't like the midrange. It is some some indistinct thickness that I cannot quite describe, but I never really cared for it. My favorite PRS guitars are the pre-'96 bolt-ons. THOSE are awesome guitars. The modern Custom 22, 24, and McCartney's just don't do it for me.
They're not really that "metal" sounding. Dark, midrangey, and smooth. Sounds fuckin' ace through my Rectoverb for hard rock stuff, but at the same time I can see why it's not your thing, seeing as you bleed mercury.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
They're not really that "metal" sounding. Dark, midrangey, and smooth. Sounds fuckin' ace through my Rectoverb for hard rock stuff, but at the same time I can see why it's not your thing, seeing as you bleed mercury.
I actually like the SE's, it is the USA's I don't care for. I keep expecting that Gibson mid honk to be there, and it is not. So, I expect some of that Strat bite, but that is lacking, too. It is like they took the worst part of Fender and Gibson and melded them together.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i agree with drew, this guitar is definitely not that metal sounding. and that's exactly what i like about it. it has more bite and attack than my 07 LPstd, but still warm sounding. it simply has a certain unique midrange character i really dig. i guess after years of playing mostly ibanez's, i'm now just amazed by guitars that actually have a unique voice you can hear through your amp:)

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
That's a beauty. PRS setnecks definitely have a unique sound. I've never been able to use that sound, but you know it when you hear it on almost any recording.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a beauty. PRS setnecks definitely have a unique sound. I've never been able to use that sound, but you know it when you hear it on almost any recording.
:agreed:

it was actually emil werstler's lead tone that started fueling my PRS gas

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
I actually like the SE's, it is the USA's I don't care for. I keep expecting that Gibson mid honk to be there, and it is not. So, I expect some of that Strat bite, but that is lacking, too. It is like they took the worst part of Fender and Gibson and melded them together.
I noticed that too, I had a PRS custom 22 and I like the SE Tremonti I have now a lot better. The SE just has the right sound for me.

Amazing guitar though, I'm sure it sounds stunning most likely :yesway:.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i keep hearing good things about the SE's. i'm a bit sceptical when it comes to imports based on personal experiences with various LTDs, schecter, jackson and ibanez's, but i'd definitely give those a shot next time i'm in a music store.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think the PRS tone is for people who don't like that mid-range Gibson honk and also want the high-end Stratty glassiness tamed a bit.

It's kinda my ideal tone, actually. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts