Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw this on one of the facebook groups I'm signed up for and had to have it. I mean, holy crap. These were a rare guitar to begin with, but in lefty? It is in pretty great shape. Lots of scratches, none through the clear coat; including one I put in it putting one of the damn springs back on. I'm going to get it polished up and looking real nice. I bought it from the original owner, and he says the original neck pickup took a dump, so he threw this in. I've got an SD vintage rails I am going to throw in the neck. You wouldn't think that pickup would be as good as it is, but man, it is fantastic for leads.

I ended up paying $650 shipped for this, so, shit yeah, this thing rocks.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
thats incredible. reminds me of when i saw a steve vai jem at a pawn shop selling for $600. It was gone real fast.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
That is suhWEET!

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
My EC29 was one of those guitars I never should have sold. I had mine retrofitted with an original Edge trem (not a straight forward swap, required doweling and redrilling the trem posts), and it was a monster.

·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My EC29 was one of those guitars I never should have sold. I had mine retrofitted with an original Edge trem (not a straight forward swap, required doweling and redrilling the trem posts), and it was a monster.
That was the main thing that worried me about this was the condition of the bridge and whether it was replaceable. This one is in really good condition, so it's not an issue, but I'm glad to know there are options.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
That was the main thing that worried me about this was the condition of the bridge and whether it was replaceable. This one is in really good condition, so it's not an issue, but I'm glad to know there are options.
That's Washburn's "S" trem. I had an EC36 that had the "T" trem, which was basically the same except that it had locking saddle latches that meant you didn't have to cut off the ball ends. Those made palm muting difficult, so I found a spare "S" trem on eBay and bought it for the saddles. Haven't had it in years, though--I sold the EC36 because I couldn't get used to having to pick over the fretboard all the time.

You might want to keep a watch on eBay for those trems, just to have a spare for parts. I'm pretty sure that Washburn used those on several models. Unfortunately, the stud spacing doesn't allow for retrofitting with an OFR or other "brand name" trem.

I've *never* seen a lefty EC29/36 in all these years. There can't have been more than a handful of them made.

·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's Washburn's "S" trem. I had an EC36 that had the "T" trem, which was basically the same except that it had locking saddle latches that meant you didn't have to cut off the ball ends. Those made palm muting difficult, so I found a spare "S" trem on eBay and bought it for the saddles. Haven't had it in years, though--I sold the EC36 because I couldn't get used to having to pick over the fretboard all the time.

You might want to keep a watch on eBay for those trems, just to have a spare for parts. I'm pretty sure that Washburn used those on several models. Unfortunately, the stud spacing doesn't allow for retrofitting with an OFR or other "brand name" trem.

I've *never* seen a lefty EC29/36 in all these years. There can't have been more than a handful of them made.
Thanks for the tip, that's a good idea. It is almost perfect, no wear I can see, though I haven't disassembled it yet.

Apparently there was something like 1500 made in both lefty and righty, so I'm sure there is only a few dozen out there.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Thaat's awesome! :lol: I could never put those extra frets to work, but those things are so ridiculous they rule. :metal:

·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thaat's awesome! :lol: I could never put those extra frets to work, but those things are so ridiculous they rule. :metal:
Oh yeah, the extra frets are seriously tiny :lol: They are SO hard to use, its not even funny. They will be great for extra high bends and such, but nothing else :lol:

But who cares, it fucking rules. It is really high quality, too. I didn't expect it to be this exceptional. The neck carve rules. It is like my warmoth, which has my favorite carve ever. It is their regular C, and this one is almost exactly the same feel. I love a wizard, but these C profiles I'm finding to be much more playable in long sittings.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Oh yeah, the extra frets are seriously tiny :lol: They are SO hard to use, its not even funny. They will be great for extra high bends and such, but nothing else :lol:
I was eventually able to play up to the 33rd fret on my EC36 by jumping around on the high frets with the pinky finger, but you're not going to shred on those frets. Playing from 24-29 should be doable if you practice at it for awhile. Electric guitars aren't really designed to sound good in that frequency range, so it's mostly something to do occasionally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts