Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Why do they make these guitars without matching the radius on the bridge?
They seem to have the proper radius at nut (it's actually low enough for me, that's RARE with factory guitars!!!) but the bridge seems to be 12", because the middle strings are too high, when the outer are slick and fast. :pissed:

I'm going to buy a Schaller Lockmeister with 32mm block, and shim the saddles to approxamatly 18" so it matches the 12"-16" compound radius better. :flex:

I really needed a 24 fretter with EMG 81 for lead recordings, and since I can't sit down and play this at all, I will rock the fuck out with this one when recording! With proper radius and setup, I think this can be a regular at live shows too, it feels REALLY sturdy. :agreed:

The frets are a bit worn tho, so I might have to give it to PLEK for a stainless steel refret. :metal:

GOOD THINGS!
* It's a white fucking RR24!
* It has good action at 1st fret
* Finally I have a 25.5" scale guitar with 24 frets, I've needed that quite some time now
* Did I mention it's a WHITE RR24?!?!?

NOT SO GOOD;
* Mismatched radius at bridge... Which is easily fixed, especially since I'm getting a new bridge for it.
* It's yellowing, but it's okay. It's a fucking RR24!!!!!

AND HERE'S A VIDEO WITH THE RR24 and a PLINGER (I think they are called)

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Congrats, that's badass! Looks just up your street. How's the balance?

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
It's possibly the lightest guitar I have, and very comfortable in standing position.
And while it is "almost" fast as fuck, it's going to be buttered lighting fast once I have the new brideg and radius fixed :)
Awesome. Can't wait to hear that lightning fast! :facemelt:
Google found nothing on them...i'm actually kinda interested in what it is. :lol:
Looks kinda similar to an African thumb harp my dad has, if that's any help?

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can definitely play a V style guitar sitting down. Behold:

Well, since I've played strats/superstrats/similar my entire musical life, just playing a Les Paul sitting down was a weird experience, and getting into "classical position" is just... No. :lol:

I may get used to it eventually, but for me it's a standing up and rocking out guitar. :metal:

Rhoads V's definitely look best with one humbucker.
Totally!

I'm glad I took the chance at this one, I got it for rather cheap ($400) because I honestly think it's the best looking Jackson guitar ever.
Would have been SO cool if they at the time of making these, also had a complementing series of similar guitars like a 1-hum Soloist, could have been called SL24 :flex: KE24, KV24 etc etc. In the same color choices. Of course just like this one all with matching headstock!

Okay that's just me hopeleslly dreaming about a 1-hum superstrat again :lol: I guess the RR24 will fill the bill for while tho :flex:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have now spent the morning shimming the bridge saddles to match the compound, and it made a HUGE difference!!!! They should come like this from the factory!
However, it's still not as fast as I would like to, but the action can't go any lower than this without a refret.
But it's certainly getting in the ballpark of what I want!

I had to re-record ONE note in the dim-sequence at 0:06 because:
1. I hate playing with a wide grip, I rarely do that at all, especially not standing up. I have quite short fingers... :lol:
2. When I actually nailed that part I missed the high note vibrato BECAUSE of my weird wide grip :lol:
3. Needs refret and lower action

I tried it with my recently PLEKed Warmoth and Barrington and it was easier to nail that, even tho I couldn't reach the high E, obviously, since they have 22 frets... And dont tell me I can just bend up there... I'm not THAT fast :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn, nice score. I've wanted one of those forever
Get one :)

But make sure to shim the outer bridge saddles = the bridge from factory is NOT set to work 100%... Where the quality control department drunk? :scratch:

Nut radius = 12"
Neck radius = 12-16" compound
Bridge radius = 12"

Yeah, you see how wrong this is. Shim it to 18" and it's great!

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Congrats Ced, those are fantastic guitars. Mine's one of my favourite live guitars (as my avatar shows), though it does still get a fair bit of play at home. If you can get used to it, playing classical style is the way to go for playing a V seated.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats Ced, those are fantastic guitars. Mine's one of my favourite live guitars (as my avatar shows), though it does still get a fair bit of play at home. If you can get used to it, playing classical style is the way to go for playing a V seated.
Yeah it feels really good, I will definitely bring it live once we get started again with RR or any other band!

Have you also noticed the mis-match in radius on the bridge vs compound fretboard?
Does your FRT-2000 stay in tune?

I have changed springs to OFR, nutsauced the bridge saddles and knife edges (those look okay visually), and it still doesn't keep tuning.
That's why I'm going for a Schaller Lockmeister soon...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts