Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear god have I waited for this one. Damn thing got sent to another area of the state when it arrived from Japan so Auspost had to redirect it back to Sydney. So it arrived today whilst I was out at appointments. I was bracing myself for a real busted piece of shit that needed plenty of work given that I paid only about $400 for it with shipping. When I opened it and saw all it needs is a fret dress and setup I was ecstatic.

A 1983-1984 ESP Mirage custom order.

Reverse lawsuit headstock, the best headstock.

22 fret, 3 piece maple neck that was ordered with an oil finish that has 30 years of playing to bring it to a perfect silky feel. The seams in the neck can be felt but only just and it's only along the playing length, the headstock and heel are completely flat. It's a nice C profile, not overly round like my Caparisons but nice in its own way.

Old school white finish that's gotten nice and warm in finish and darkening. The floyd is an old school wood screw model with the old school arm and socket. Just needs my special treatment to bring it back to life. The edges are in excellent condition. As for the body, haven't figured out what the wood is. Looks like it may be alder though.

Original LH-200 pickup that I haven't checked out yet. You can see the difference 30 years makes on the finish under the pickup ring.

The original pen written specs for the neck.

It's currently in pieces on my bench getting the once over. Just gotta wait for my new fret files and tools to arrive to make it play the best it can.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Wow, that's the oldest I've seen an ESP with a Jackson headstock. Also, is it me or is the body slightly offset? Precursor to the Maverick? If not, it looks slightly different than your usual Soloist shape, or some camera trickery.

Anyways...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's the oldest I've seen an ESP with a Jackson headstock. Also, is it me or is the body slightly offset? Precursor to the Maverick? If not, it looks slightly different than your usual Soloist shape, or some camera trickery.
No, it's the precursor to the Mirage series. The middle is slightly offset but only marginally. This is the regular line Mirage Deluxe, same body shape but that's about it;

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
I swear you always get the best Japanese bargains! Teach me your secrets :lol:
But seriously, HNGD! Thing looks killer.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swear you always get the best Japanese bargains! Teach me your secrets :lol:
But seriously, HNGD! Thing looks killer.
Haha, yeah. Well I get a lot of gear through my door each week. I keep an eye on auctions and other such things and because I know I can repair most everything I can bid on stuff I'm not worried about it being fucked. I spend about 3 hours a day on several different websites trawling for gear. Thinking of opening a small used music gear store to save having to deal with storing shit at my house.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
That is awesome! Congrats.

Wow, ESP got right on that trademark infringement, didn't they? That's less than a year after Jackson started producing that headstock.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha they probably would have been on it the week after Jackson sold their first one. :lol: then again that was common place in the Japanese market in the 80s and even now considering how lax their intellectual property laws are.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Absolutely love that guitar I'll trade you my left nut for it.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
holy fuck, I bet that thing is going to clean up AWESOME...jealous, love it, hurry and get sick of it and sell it to me.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome guitar, was the body originally a 6 point? I see some holes there in the pickup ring close up.
I thought that too but on closer inspection they're actually impact marks from the screws that hold the saddled in place on the base plate. They poke through just a little bit and have pushed against the wood over the years to make the marks. This thing is all original, right down to the old school Gotoh tuners once I got them removed.

Absolutely love that guitar I'll trade you my left nut for it.
Well I could use a 4th testicle.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a couple hours work later, it's up and playing again. Stripped the whole guitar to the bone and did my usual treatments for rust and rebuilding the hardware. Now it's looking pretty damn good for 30+ years old. Cleaned the gunk and build up off the fretboard, re oiled it, polished the frets and gave back of the neck a once over with 0000 steel wool to remove the gunk. Put it all back together, threw a matching black knob on the new volume pot I installed, set the intonation and neck relief and plugged it in. Yup, plays like a dream and the frets could use a dress, but it's not immediately needed. Also, that pickup is awesome. Don't believe I'll be swapping it out. Nice and balanced, not overly hot and rocks the heavy strings and drop C tuning I use.

Shiny again

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So a couple hours work later, it's up and playing again. Stripped the whole guitar to the bone and did my usual treatments for rust and rebuilding the hardware. Now it's looking pretty damn good for 30+ years old. Cleaned the gunk and build up off the fretboard, re oiled it, polished the frets and gave back of the neck a once over with 0000 steel wool to remove the gunk. Put it all back together, threw a matching black knob on the new volume pot I installed, set the intonation and neck relief and plugged it in. Yup, plays like a dream and the frets could use a dress, but it's not immediately needed. Also, that pickup is awesome. Don't believe I'll be swapping it out. Nice and balanced, not overly hot and rocks the heavy strings and drop C tuning I use.

Shiny again

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
That looks awesome, man. Congrats.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts