Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NGD X 2 went old school with these!!!!

Tags
ngd school
3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 · (Edited)
while I've been waiting for my Rico Order to get finished I realized that I don't have a 24 fretter tuned to E flat (How can I possibly get by?:ugh: )
So when I saw this one on EBay last week I gave him a low ball offer that he accepted.
It's a 1990 Jackson soloist Pro. (one of the early "good" ones)
The thing is mint, definitely a case queen, there is virtually no fret wear and not a mark on the body. it plays really well, I'm a little undecided on the bridge pickup with the whole active mid boost thingy, but I actually have it dialed in pretty well on my mark IV.
it plays great, and I can see why Jackson stop making this line. it really doesn't feel much different from my USA SL2H-Mah. real mop inlays and logo , ebony fret board, poplar body 24 fret neck thru.
pics

frets are perfect.

On to guitar # 2
so My daughter is going into 3rd grade now and has been bugging me about learning how to play. I didn't want to buy her a "toy" guitar, so I found a Charvel Fusion Custom on line that , once again is in perfect
condition.
24.75 scale and a reduced size dinky body. Perfect!! she can grow into it
and in the meantime I can play it:)
Pics

I hope she knows what a cool dad she has!!!:D

See less See more
#4 ·
Ya I didn't know that either, I found an old Jackson catalog and it says the Fusion Custom and Fusion Pro have slightly smaller dinky bodies.
I put it up against my soloist and it's definitely a tiny bit smaller (not much though)

#10 ·
I like both of those, but that Soloist Pro is pure win.

The J-50BC bridge pickup is garbage, but you might as well leave the active circuit in there even if you get another pickup. The mid-boost is completely off with the third knob at zero, so it's not like you're stuck with the effect if you don't like it. Plus, the two J-200s were designed with that circuit in mind and sound like ass without it.

I have a Duncan SH-5 Custom in the bridge of my Soloist Pro, but I'll probably end up changing it out for something mellower.

#14 ·
I'm glad you chimed in because I'm not loving the bridge pickup.
So if the circuit is turned all the way down , the "natural tone of the pickup will come thru? I've been wondering about that becuase the J-50 sounds like a strat single coil with it off.
I was thinking about throwing a holy diver in or an SH-5 (how'd you like it in there? that's one of my favorite pickups.) but I was worried that the active circuit will color the tone of the pickup?:confused:
I actually like what it does to the 2 singles, so i'll probably leave those in at least for now.

#15 ·
So if the circuit is turned all the way down , the "natural tone of the pickup will come thru?
That's the idea, though I can't say for sure whether it actually does that, since I've never removed that circuit while at the same time leaving the stock pickups in place. I think that J-1200 circuit is a love/hate thing--I've removed it in every single guitar I've ever had with one, which includes my Pro and more Japanese Charvels than I care to admit.

On my Pro, I gutted the electronics and installed a SH-5/Quarter Pounder/Lil' 59er combo with a totally passive setup. I'm thinking about going to an active setup with it, but I haven't decided yet. The SH-5 sounds pretty good in my Pro, but mine is unusually resonant and 'warm' sounding, so YMMV.

#18 ·
On my Pro, I gutted the electronics and installed a SH-5/Quarter Pounder/Lil' 59er combo with a totally passive setup. I'm thinking about going to an active setup with it, but I haven't decided yet. The SH-5 sounds pretty good in my Pro, but mine is unusually resonant and 'warm' sounding, so YMMV.
If you put actives in that guitar, I'm driving over to your house and kicking you in the dick. What you meant to say was, "I'm going to call Wolfe and order a set of wound awesome." I know you're not JB fan, but you have to hear the rewound Jazz.

#16 ·
Ok thanks. I've asked this on a couple of the Jackson fourms and I guess no one has tried this yet, they either leave it as is or gut it and replace everything.
Looks like I'm going to have to do some experimenting. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.