Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I'm sure many of you will have seen, it was my 30th birthday a couple of days ago. I'd basically just wanted money as I knew no one could afford outright to pay for the 7 string project I wanted and planned to put it all together for that, plus I'd hoped to have enough to pick up a 6'er for drop tuning & messing around on. Turns out the wife just decided to buy me one instead :yesway:

So, possibly the cheapest "quality" beater you can buy, the Yamaha Pacifica 112:

(yes, I suck at pictures)

This one's one of the original style versions with the bridge pickup on the pickguard (the version I wanted) and it's in pretty good condition bar a few scuffs on the body. But I'm not being picky, it's a beater and works perfectly. I'd thought I'd need to swap the stock pickups, but they're actually not bad at all. Very liveable with for now at least. The body is made from 5 pieces of Alder, but it is at least closely matched colour wise so it doesn't jump out as being that many pieces. It's also better made than more than a few guitars around the £400 mark I've seen recently.

Picked up from the local Cash Mart for £75! (the price stickers are a total bitch to remove, so she didn't bother, plus I recognised it anyway :lol: )

So, for now I'm just going to play it, but I'm debating putting a pearloid pickguard on it at some point. I'd wondered about swapping the neck for a maple one (or rather buying a maple boarded Pacifica, swapping necks and selling on the other one again), but this one plays so nicely I don't think I'll bother. I might sand the body down and refinish it though. I've always wanted to try it, and I can't exactly hurt the value on this :lol: It would just be a natural finish again, just one devoid of scuffs.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Ah, the 112s are cracking guitars for the price, congrats! I've got an 012, which was my first guitar, and it still plays like a beaut almost 12 years later. In fact, a mate of mine actually sold his ESP (George Lynch) because he found himself playing his 112 more than it, haha.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I've often contemplated grabbing one of these as a project guitar to experiment with different wiring schemes etc. Nice catch dude!:)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've often contemplated grabbing one of these as a project guitar to experiment with different wiring schemes etc. Nice catch dude!:)
There's another identical one in the same Cash Mart this came from here for £110 (it's in better nick), or there's a fairly mint looking version with the maple board and black scratchplate & pickups in the other Cash Mart here for £130.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yamaha makes incredibly solid guitars for the price, both electric and acoustic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts