Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NGearD - My Bank Account does not thank you guys.

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  DslDwg 
#1 · (Edited)
So based on Chris' kick ass write up of the Axe FX and the Axe vs. Line6 HD. I decided to pull the trigger on an Axe.

Since my bank account was screaming for mercy I decided to try a little less expensive route on the speaker front and decided to try the Carvin PM12A. My only experience with the Axe had been through a buddies smallish studio monitors so I have no idea how the Carvin compares to anything. It is inexpensive - seems to be built well and is so loud it makes Satan proud. Compared to anything else on the market I just don't have the experience in an A/B situation it may suck balls for all I know.

The requisite pics:

And in case this is all just a bunch of boring waffle I thought I'd include this:

Moderately NSFW (if your work is stuck up and prude)

See less See more
#19 · (Edited)
Well for me - I didn't have a guitar cab nor a power amp. I also didn't have a guitar amp with an effects loop in it.

The idea with the monitor is it should be a much more neutral sounding seeing as it's designed to be that way. Working well with a modeler which is trying to replicate a very particular sound.

Where I think even a tube pre-amp will likely give you some color and a guitar cabinet will as well. Although I notice many guys looking towards solid state power amps with guitar cabinets as an alternative.

I will say this with the Carvin that I bought. It is very directional and there is very much a sweet spot to listening to it.

On the up side - it sounds pretty good is very loud, light weight and relatively inexpensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.