Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ibanez fanboi
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thanks to this thread http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-gear-discussion/20963-jet-city-amps-soldano-2.html and Josh, I decided to pick up a Blackstar HT-5H tonight. :yesway: Got rid of the B52 AT100.
I was on the verge of getting a Jetcity JCA20H, for the same price but shipping extra. I still don't know why I went blackstar :lol:

Anywhere here are some pics :metal:

Still need to buy some speakers :noplease: and high end brand name speakers cost a shit load over here, roughly 200 each for Eminence Patriot Swamp Thangs 12"..

I've read that a tube swap (which one?) will make it sound a bit better.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Useless fucking piece of shit: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

I love my Blackstar :wub:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Useless fucking piece of shit: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

metalcunt said:
Great bang for buck :yesway:
are you guys running any boosts or pedals?
Only pedals I run with mine at the minute are a TS7 and an ISP Decimator G-string. I still haven't finished tweaking yet or I'd offer up some settings :lol: I've got a Guyatone Overdrive I might end up using instead of the TS7.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
With the first pic, I wondered wtf did you do to your speakers! :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I liked to boost the clean channel of mine with a TS7ovChaos, and I'd occasionally run a Line 6 DL4 in the FX loop as well as a CAE Line Driver/Boost to act as a solo boost.

Great little amp. I really really miss mine.

·
Ibanez fanboi
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's the good man :wub:
Yeah, I'll probably get a TS7, hopefully I can find the same one as yours. Is Joe still modding pedals?
I'll run the PodXT Live for reverbs and delays and fancy shit like that in the FX loop.
Ah yeah, now I remember, I got the HT-5H because it has an FX Loop and the JCA20H didn't :lol: and it's also got TWO CHANNELS!!

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I changed the pre tube on mine for a High Gain JJ ECC83. Love it. It's subtle, but the amp is a bit tighter and richer in the gain departement. First stage starts a bit earlier also and it's "spread out" around the gain knob in a better way IMO (instead of turning the knob and then : boom, all of a sudden you get gain).

I boost mine with a Bloody Murder. It's a must IMO. Makes the amp way more responsive and tight. Like Josh said, just the boost with a bit of gain trough the clean channel sounds really great... Trough the loop, I have a G-Sharp, Korg Rack tuner, Danalectro EQ.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I liked to boost the clean channel of mine with a TS7ovChaos
^ This.

The clean channel seems to really respond well to boosts, overdrives and distortions. I found when i put a boost in front of the dirty channel, the preamp tube just soaked up all that gain and it got more saturated, but not any louder.

·
Ibanez fanboi
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I changed the pre tube on mine for a High Gain JJ ECC83. Love it. It's subtle, but the amp is a bit tighter and richer in the gain departement. First stage starts a bit earlier also and it's "spread out" around the gain knob in a better way IMO (instead of turning the knob and then : boom, all of a sudden you get gain).

I boost mine with a Bloody Murder. It's a must IMO. Makes the amp way more responsive and tight. Like Josh said, just the boost with a bit of gain trough the clean channel sounds really great... Trough the loop, I have a G-Sharp, Korg Rack tuner, Danalectro EQ.
So I've got a couple spare tubes, 2 12AX7LPS and 1 12AX7WC (Sovtek), any good for the HT-5? If not I'll buy a High Gain JJECC83.
And I read the manual.. and it says not to fuck around with the insides :lol:, so how does one go about changing the tubes, safely? :hsquid:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
^

Just remove the back grill. Pull the tube, insert new one.

I don't think changing the pre tube with the ones you already have is gonna make any substantial change. It's already a Sovtek in there, IIRC. Anyway, nothing wrong with trying them all and see if you like them. I talked to some guy at Blackstar before changing tube and it's no problem at all.

·
Ibanez fanboi
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, thanks. :wub:
Once I get some speakers, I'll start playing around with the tubes and see if it sounds any better.
I've sourced a pair of old (1987) Celestion G12H-100 speakers for $180. Good to go? Apparently these are predecessors to the G12K-100 which are found in Orange cabs, and if so, then I'm a happy camper. :D

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Make sure you swap the preamp tube, not the power tube though. The 12BH7 these use as a power section is technically considered a "preamp tube" but it's closer to the back of the chassis and, IIRC, sticks up more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts