Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So you guys remember my cool Jackson right?

Workstation with Nile jacket patch at the ready :lol:

Alright so what are all these shenanigans about?

Motherfucking Germans and their precision packing efficiency

What does it do!?

A tribute to Stitches style of picstory :lol:

Need an R4 not an R2 :pissed:

Okay here's where shit gets messy

Mounting studs = Bastards

Oh well - here's what it will look like (ie. Awesome)

It isn't that bad - I just need to either hammer the anchors in super hard or rout out some of the wood in the anchor housings.

Either way, this fucking tremolo feels like absolute win. Heavy as fuck and feels harder than diamonds or [insert obligatory JJ joke here :lol:]

:metal: Still happy to even own such a fine piece of machinery

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of trem was in there originally?
Randy.

:lol:

Kidding. It's a Jackson brand trem, I think it's a JT-500. Identical to the schaller except it doesn't say 'made in Germany by Schaller' near the tremolo arm.

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent! Schallers are the tits. I like how solid and chunky feeling they are.
Totes McGotes. I'd love to buy one of those 9.99 edges off ebay and compare the two. In my humble opinion the Schaller is the best. I dropped the nut before and I'm pretty sure the floor said "...The fuck was that for?!".

·
Born To Lose, Live To Win
111 Posts
with the studs if you bang them in you can split the wood. if they look like they might go in with a bit more force go for it, but if they are really too big for the hole drill it. otherwise you may end up with a large split in the body.

best way to get the studs in is to use a vice - something like a carpenter's clamp with bits of wood on the face to prevent damage to the guitar. more precise than a hammer :)

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
you can split the wood. if they look like they might go in with a bit more force go for it, but if they are really too big for the hole drill it.
Truth. I made this mistake when I neglected to drill pilot holes for replacement tuners. Now there's a hairline crack between each peghole on the headstock. It was a spare neck, but still. Live and learn, right?

Totes McGotes.
Joben.

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truth. I made this mistake when I neglected to drill pilot holes for replacement tuners. Now there's a hairline crack between each peghole on the headstock. It was a spare neck, but still. Live and learn, right?

Joben.
Ryan - Let's just go get some fish tacos :lol: :tmm:

City Slickaaaaa'!

Yeah most of the time I employ my better judgement. I know a luthier in town so I'll pay him a visit. I need some fucking rosewood dust, I need to fill in the old screw holes for the nut and re-drill them. I have the worst luck with modifications - I always end up doing shit like this :lol: :ugh:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyway you can take a pic of the underneath of the schaller where the intonation screws are. The old original schallers strip these holes out and I would like to see what they did to fix this problem.

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyway you can take a pic of the underneath of the schaller where the intonation screws are. The old original schallers strip these holes out and I would like to see what they did to fix this problem.
As well as the hardened pivot edges (knife edges) it has hardened blocks that sit under the screw holes.

It looks pretty much like this:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I just recently bought one of these in black for my AT, $200.

If you are doing that intensive of an upgrade regmin You must really like that Jackson? You're looking at another $150 to get pickups that don't suck :lol:

BTW, the nut you are looking for is actually an R3. Same footprint as R4 (IIRC) but with narrower spacing.

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
:squint: why are you using it for a hat rack then? :lol:
To demonstrate the sheer quality of its components. That hat would have dragged the tremolo bar down and subsequently fallen off if it were one of the shit arms that come with the OFR's.

Just for thought, does anyone know if they give you the crap trem arms with Korean guitars or even Japanese guitars with original floyds, and the good version if you guy something American made/handmade?

·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just recently bought one of these in black for my AT, $200.

If you are doing that intensive of an upgrade regmin You must really like that Jackson? You're looking at another $150 to get pickups that don't suck :lol:

BTW, the nut you are looking for is actually an R3. Same footprint as R4 (IIRC) but with narrower spacing.
So the R3 is 42.86mm but with narrower string spacing?

Stewart MacDonald apparently don't sell R3's.

STEWMAC.COM : Locking Nut Sets

·
Registered
136 Posts
As well as the hardened pivot edges (knife edges) it has hardened blocks that sit under the screw holes.

It looks pretty much like this:

Damn the pic doesn't work! I read about what they did but just never saw a pic or anything. I know all the early 90's schallers on stock guitars had a prob with them stripping out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts