Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Temporary Autonomous Zone
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be buying a quality amp, but I keep getting enticed by nice guitars. For example, I've got these customs (Oni, KxK, Carvin, VF Guitarworks) and play them through a 2x10" Crate TD-50C that I've had since about 1993.

I think the deal is that I dont play out anymore, and I'm in an apartment. My ex that I lived with had me sell the Mesa Recto / Marshall cab / Rack because it took up space. But that shouldnt stop me from buying a nice combo now, right?

I've saved some dollars for a nice amp, but I'm eyeballin' the Benedetto Bambino, and the Heritage Sweet 16 and stuff like that. I cant stop!

Anyone else do this? Craptacular gear with sweet guitars?

·
I dislike Porcupine Tree.
189 Posts
I've got the opposite, or something like that. Mesa cab and Blue Voodoo, but only decent or terrible guitars. That's just the luck of the (CENSORED CLICHE), though.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
No, and I never could. I could own a great amp and a crappy guitar, but I can't do the great guitar crappy amp thing.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
You're missing out on a lot of the joy of those nice instruments. Get a nice combo or something.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Since two of my guitars were stolen, I'm in the decent guitar / excellent amp arena.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I'm in the same camp. ESP Horizon FR-II and Ibanez S540LTD into a Line6 Flextone 2. I also keep browsing for guitars all the time instead of amps

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
up until a week ago, it was decent guitars and NO amp here :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I've always been in the "decent guitars, great amp" category.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My guitar amp is my "fire escape" piece of guitar gear. My guitars are awesome, but just not quite as important to me.

However, if I had to choose between my guitar amp and my Rickenbacker or Dingwall... :ugh:

·
Poland CEO / RHLC ©
2,393 Posts
I practice a lot without an amp :ugh: (although I still think my Behringer is one of the better .. "affordable" 15W amps:metal:)
So I guess i prefer a great guitar/decent amp more than the opposite :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
if money is no object, grab an axe fx and some studio monitors. if you don't play out then this set up will get you any sweet tone you can think of and you wont have amp gas anymore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Right there with you, man. I've got one Rico Jr, another one on order, a Strictly 7 on order, my Carvin, etc., but I sold my Boogie last year, and now I just have a Trademark 60 (which is OK) that I pretty much never use. It's mainly just me and the POD through headphones after the kids go to sleep. :( I definitely need to get in a band again!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I'm playing a 1700$ Chapman stick through a toneport because i dont have a bassamp or stereo guitar amp right now :lol:

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
IMHO, the foundation of your overall tone, aside from your fingers, is really in your amp. Every guitar is going to interpret your amp's tone differently. The tone of two different guitars through the same head will sound similar when compared to 1 guitar through two different amps.

So it's really a matter of how important tone is to ya! =)

·
Temporary Autonomous Zone
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, It's worse than that. I bought her engagement ring with the money from the gear plus some money from selling my car. Meh...I was in wub.

Edit; but yeah, dick was in a mason jar under the sink.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts