Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This totally needed it's own thread. :yesway:

Today's nifty app is Coconut Battery.

coconutBattery isn't just a tool which shows you only the current charge of your battery - it also shows you the current maximum capacity of it in relation to the original capacity your battery had as it left the factory.
You also get information about the battery-loadcycles (how often did you fully load your battery), the current charger (coconutBattery even warns you if you plugged in a wrong charger for your Notebook) and last but not least information about the age of your Mac.
Screenshot from their site:

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Interesting. Wonder how the battery of my macbook is doing after 3 years as it has been plugged to the charger 99,8% of the time I've used it :p

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
That's pretty cool and convenient how it sums it up. System Profiler shows almost the same stuff and a lot of other stuff as well. I wonder if the "Original Battery Capacity" is hard read from the battery or if it's from a listed spec.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Probably a spec list. That is going to suck to look at overtime. I'm curious to see how my OSX leopards battery is doing, I usually can't leave it unplugged for more than 15 minutes :ugh:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
goddamn! i got mine in january and its already at 84% max :/

·
18,790 Posts
I tried this a while back when I was trying to diagnose the problems I've been having with my iBook G4. Mine was pretty pitiful, IIRC, and I can only assume it's gotten worse in the last 2 months, since the problems have gotten worse :lol: As far as I can tell, it desperately needs a new battery, as it overheats and goes to sleep if I have it running and charging at the same time, and then it won't charge until it's cooled down, even when shut off. I thought it might be the fan or harddrive going, but it's absolutely temperature related and never an issue when running off battery power alone. Admittedly, the power jack is pretty fucked too, since the light on the power plug goes out when I wiggle it the wrong way (the fact that it wiggles is also likely a bad sign :lol: ).

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
^If your sound goes out, it's because the DC-in converter (where you plug the power adapter in) is also the soundcard. Why did they design it like that???

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I know this was a problem with the PowerBook G3 (the last black one before the titanium G4) but i think Apple learned from that mistake and didn't do it again.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
It depends on which G4's they were. The first couple of models still had it like that.

goddamn! i got mine in january and its already at 84% max :/
I don't know if this still applies with today's technology, but are you still supposed to drain the battery the first time you can?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
They say a lithium ion battery does need to be "conditioned" upon first use... drain it until it's *completely* dead, then charge it fully. But don't run it dead after that... they actually perform better over the long term if you charge them before completely depleted.

But even still, their usable life shortens considerably over time, and after a certain number of charge cycles, they're pretty much done. As you can see from my battery info above, my battery is more or less toast. I get about 20 minutes on a charge if i'm doing nothing and have the screen dimmed to its lowest level. Time for a new battery, or a new computer.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adding one to the list - WakeOnLan:

WakeOnLan

Screey from their website:

This is a pretty slick app. You can configure any device that supports WOL (like both of my NAS devices, for example) to get tagged at an interval that you configure. You can also use it to sleep devices as well.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
Thought I would throw this in here for anyone with a Mac and an Xbox360:

Connect360

Basically, wirelessly shares any media/films etc you have stored on your Mac to view/stream through your 360. There are lots of other tools that do similar things, but I thought I would put this one up as even an idiot like me has found it very easy to use.

It's only $20 but if you don't want to pay the full price, the demo allows a maximum of 5 files to be shared and as long as you have them in one place you can swap in/out what you want to watch at a given time.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Evernote
Great webcapture app, interfaces nice with iphone too

Dropbox
remote storage, integrates well with the shell

Cinch
Adds win7 screen cues to window management.

Dockspaces
Allows you to have mutliple docks, accessible by hotkey. works GREAT if you have multiple spaces, and you can tie it in to them

Paintbrush
MSPaint alike. Useful for quick graphydrawings

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
A "must have" to record audio streams into Garageband, Soundtrack Pro, Logic, etc.

Soundflower - Cycling 74

Soundflower is a Mac OS X (10.2 and later) system extension that allows applications to pass audio to other applications. Soundflower is easy to use, it simply presents itself as an audio device, allowing any audio application to send and receive audio with no other support needed.

Since Soundflower offers a straight forward method of communicating between applications on the Mac, there are a variety of situations where you can employ it.

Podcasting
Soundflower has been used extensively in podcasting by combining separate streams of audio into one source. Instead of recording an interview with Skype and only hearing one voice, Soundflower lets you publish both voices for a complete interview experience.

Cellphone
Use an application called DittyBot and Skype to access your iTunes collection from any cellphone.

Music
Record streaming audio from iTunes into Audacity, or route an audio stream from iTunes to Logic.
I also use it to record audio from the DVD player for backing track purposes, making MP's, etc.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts