Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SLAT3-7 arrived yesterday. Thanks to UPS for leaving it leaning against my front door. :lol:

Since a certain drunken dwarf wouldn't leave my house last night after cover band rehearsal, I haven't had a chance to take pics yet. I will, however, give some first impressions.

1.) The new Jackson ATA cases are awesome.
2.) The green swirl looks much better in real life than in Jackson's promo pics.
3.) Jackson's Pro line quality has been turned up a notch. This guitar is gorgeous, and the fit & finish is great.
4.) It's nice being an endorser - they did a setup and put it in Bb for me at FMIC before it shipped. However, this is a reasonable sample, as this was the last green swirl they had left, so they couldn't cherry pick one for me.
5.) It plays like butter. Seriously, this is the best-playing Japanese Jackson I've experienced that wasn't made before 1993. Seriously, this makes the COW look like a toy, and those were pretty good.

I've played most of this guitar's competition (though not the new LTD H1007s), and this pretty much clobbers them. I had debated long and hard about buying a Loomis (which I like) instead of one of these. I'm glad I didn't.

Craptastic pics, finally! Hopefully I can get better ones when VA stops doing its Kansas impression:

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I figured you'd like it since you like the old Pro/model 6/750xl necks
and now that you have it in front of you does the HS look as huge to you as it does in pics?
I didn't think so, I really liked the ones I played at Matts, toob ad they were already spoken for.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I'm glad to hear it turned out like you liked it.

Since you posted pics of the 6-string version, I have seriously considered picking one of these up.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured you'd like it since you like the old Pro/model 6/750xl necks
As I said to Dave - "this is a 2 hum, Floyd version of the Pro Soloist you used to have - but not dead". :lol: Seriously, they pretty much nailed the Soloist feel in a 7. It's not my CS guitar, but it'll do in a pinch.

and now that you have it in front of you does the HS look as huge to you as it does in pics?
I didn't think so, I really liked the ones I played at Matts, toob ad they were already spoken for.
The binding helps a lot to balance it. It's still huge, but for some reason the unbound versions look gigantic, whereas these merely look big.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He can't ban a mod, Rog. :lol:

For the whiners, pic attached. Excuse my messy-ass desk in the background. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Why did you think I was going to leave early? I wanted to play the new guitar. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Much more interested in picks of that Zion

Although even this pic makes the swirl look better than jscksons, like you said

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
Can't believe (well, yes I can actually) that UPS would just leave it there by your door.:nuts:

Yes, PICS PLEASE! Especially close-ups of the swirl. I'm curious to see how that green swirl looks (I'm too lazy to search elsewhere).

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
How's the tremolo on those?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah yes the power of Jackson OEM - it's then probably the standard FRT1000-7 maybe?
I think so - I don't think there's a 2000 series 7 string. It's exactly the same one that's on the Loomis, by the look of it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts