Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a long time coming, and I've had this on the backburner for a while, but I've finally taken the toaster home.

I planned on getting the Kemper for my second solo album, but scheduled to get it specifically this month when I just got some session jobs coming in. While I'll still be using my 5153 live, the Kemper will a permanent resident at the studio I frequent so it'll be in every recording I'm involved in. So all good.

I also got this:

I just made a pedal count and the Xotic BB Preamp is my 98th pedal... :eek: Bloody hell... :lol: I've heard great things about this pedal so I was keen add it to the fleet. I'll try to post a clip on the gram later on depending on tonight's schedule.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
What do you think of the BB preamp? Is it an overdrive or something else? I always had a hunch that the BB could maybe get a sound similar to the old Fender Elite preamp, giving me something like the older Ty Tabor sound. I've been considering adding one to my board, but really don't have any experience with it.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Is this what tour retirement looks like (if you get session gigs)?

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers fellas. :cheers:

Time wasn't exactly abundant for me today so I barely had the chance to even turn on the Kemper. I did take the BB Preamp for a spin with 2 crappy clips on the gram.

What do you think of the BB preamp? Is it an overdrive or something else? I always had a hunch that the BB could maybe get a sound similar to the old Fender Elite preamp, giving me something like the older Ty Tabor sound. I've been considering adding one to my board, but really don't have any experience with it.
The BB is loud and thick. It adds a ton of headroom and midrange to whatever signal you're running, be it front end distortion (like a middle ground between a Blues Driver and a DS1), a solo booster for a cranked amp (clean or dirty), or cascading other dirt pedals. All the knobs do something so plenty of tone shaping. I loved it and has given my Heat Blaster a run for it's money.

The BB is supposed to be like a Bluesbreaker so I reckon it could nail a Ty Tabor like sound.

I love toast!

Is this what tour retirement looks like (if you get session gigs)?
Perhaps. Who knows, I'm open to another touring gig if the conditions are good.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Finally got to try it down in the studio on Satdee. I tried the first default Dual Recto profile and immediately felt like Hetfield doing crushing riffs. :lol: Loved it and that's even before I tried my own profiling. I've already used it doing scratch takes for the next upcoming project and purposely left it at the studio. Should I commit to going full digital, I can always just grab it any time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts