Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My daughter decided that she wanted to learn how to play guitar back in January. After doing a happy dance, I made a deal with her. We would rent a guitar and start taking lessons, and if she kept up with it I would buy her a guitar for her 7th birthday. Well that day has come.

Enter the Ibanez Mikro, purple of course, because...well.. purple...

Cool little guitar, stoked little girl, happy dad.

I do need to get some replacement tuners as this thing doesn't stay in tune very well and it bugs the crap out of me. Otherwise I am very happy.

She gets to use my Blackstar HT-5 as well. Pretty nice rig for a 7 year old.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Dude, she LOOKS excited to have that thing, but also trying to play it cool, because it's a cool guitar so she needs to play it cool too. Awesome! :metal:

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
very cool! Hopefully she stays with it, I see lots of talented kids just drop musical instruments all the time :(

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Congrats on the Dad points.

... Enter the Ibanez Mikro, purple of cource, because...well.. purple...
We're pink sparkly here, with a pink cord and pink DR strings and a pink tuner, for the 8-yr-old. Her picks are purple, but she fingerpicks almost everything.

The biggest hoot during the whole shopping process was going into stores, asking to look at one of the few short scales they had, they salesperson would had it to me, I'd just hand-off the guitar to my daughter, she'd get into a good classical position w/ the electric, and then rip-out her Twinkles, Lightly Row, Perpetual Motion, etc. The sales folks were always caught off guard.

Ray

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very cool! Hopefully she stays with it, I see lots of talented kids just drop musical instruments all the time :(
Hopefully I am setting her up for success. I was looking for an instructor who did 30 minute lessons, but found one who offered to split the hour between the 2 of us. So we go to lessons together, and we practice together. It is great quality time for the both of us.

We're pink sparkly here, with a pink cord and pink DR strings for the 8-yr-old.

Ray
Oh man, that's an awesome idea. I need to buy new stings anyway. What gauge did you go with? 10's?

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Hopefully I am setting her up for success. I was looking for an instructor who did 30 minute lessons, but found one who offered to split the hour between the 2 of us. So we go to lessons together, and we practice together. It is great quality time for the both of us.
We do something similar. Over the past year, she's worked-up to being able to focus for a full 45 min lesson, but I still practice with her between lessons, I have her "teach me" her songs.
... pink DR strings ...
Oh man, that's an awesome idea. I need to buy new stings anyway. What gauge did you go with? 10's?
I though we had a pack in the gig bag, but I can't find them. I'm pretty sure we went with 11's because of the shorter scale length, regular strings were too floppy. My daughter's Daisy Rock has a 22" scale length, I'm not sure what the Mikros has.

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
Congrats! Yes - replace the tuners. I got a Mikro years ago and replaced the tuners - the stock ones were the worst I'd ever seen. Couldn't stay in tune after any sort of bending. Heck, even just playing sent some strings out of tune.

For me, when I replace the strings I'll go with 10's or something similar. The 9's are way too floppy with the short scale.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
The kid in me just made me look for purple DR strings. I couldn't find any packs. It looks like there are purples in the rainbow pack, but not any all purple sets.

Ray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.