Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/245)

Hi guys, just on my way back from the apple store with a new Macbook Pro. I know this is a total noob question, but this is my first Mac. I was wandering if it is necessary to use antivirus software with a Mac, and if so, which do you recommend?
I know loads of people say its not necessary, but I thought I'd ask you guys as I trust your opinions.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Im no help BUT Yes you should use one. Which one? Not sure ask Chris or Zepp or one of the other apple guys.. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yes.

I use Symantec's version, because I get it from work. Steve uses McAfee, because he works there. Both do the job.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/245)

Chris said:
Yes.

I use Symantec's version, because I get it from work. Steve uses McAfee, because he works there. Both do the job.
Cool, thanks guys. I think ill go with symantec because I've used it before. I can't wait to get this thing up and running. Tomorrow ill be ordering a focusrite interface, then the recording begins. I'm gonna try reaper first for the DAW as its free, but I may switch to logic down the line.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
FWIW, my home computer has been a Mac for the last 10 years. Never had an antivirus and nothing ever happened. Never had the need for an antivirus, really. :shrug:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

ESET is generally what I prefer, or if you want free, CLAMXAV is a good choice.
Even though malware for OSX at this time is pretty minimal, it still exists. You can also unwittingly spread Windows malware to your Windows using friends, which is irresponsible.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I changed my mind and went with McAfee. To be honest it doesn't really bother me which software I use as long as it does the job, and I managed to get 50% off with McAfee, so I went with them. Lovin' the Mac, I don't think i'll ever turn back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts