Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't really thinking of keeping these but decided they'll come in handy now that I've got a drummer in my band.

4x SM57s
2x SM58s
2x Samson C02s

Already got a 57 and a 58 so that gives me enough mics to fully do a kit. However I need to get a kick mic so I'm thinking of getting the SM7 I've been wanting for a while for vocal and kick use.

At the rate I'm acquiring studio gear I might have to open a studio again. Then again I prefer to make money instead of lose it. :lol:

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
It's impossible to have too many SM57s and SM58s. Ive also heard good things about those Samsons :yesway:

Also if you end up looking into a well priced kick mic the Sennheiser e602-II is great I hear.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in the studio I used a d112 primarily but I've heard good things about the e602. My main thing is I'm trying to g for more versatile mics over better for one job mics because I'm not doing things commercially anymore.

I'm gonna build a sub kick soon and see what results I get pairing it with the 57 or an SM7.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My main this is versatility. The SM7 is what I'll be grabbing soon to start tracking vocals with so whilst a D112 would be awesome it's also another $200 for a mic I'll rarely use all too often. But if one pops up at the right price I may grab it.

Ended up selling off the 58s as I don't really need them so that cash goes into the gear money pool for other things.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Stick the 57s on a cab and compare to see which your favourite is. There's always a favourite.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This I know, the 57 I had originally is the golden one I saved from when I left the studio years back.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Good shit. Comparatively rare knowledge, even among audio engineers. Just making sure. Carry on.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All good dude, I love all advice I can get about recording because everyone has their own tips and tricks. I learned early on about finding the best mic in the selection and always checking every speaker to see which one has the Magic.

Unfortunately I ended up learning how to record basically by being given a recording studio and being told to 'figure it out'. Learned chunks from forums, trial and error, other engineers and also a dude who used to work at Abbey Road and Olympic studios. Most of the bands I worked with were indie bands, blues rock wankers or hardcore kiddies. This was also back in the days before AXFX and such thankfully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts