Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been sitting on this project for months and I finally got the time to do it.

I started with this guitar:

I look out the horrid Nazgul pickup and promptly sold it with the matching, but not horrid Sentient neck pickup.

I added Full Shreds for max br00tz bruh :metal: (no pic unfortunately :( )

Then I got the idea that I needed an HSH 7 string. That led me to doing this:

The black button in place of the toggle is a kill switch that isnt wired currently. I also have black mini toggles on order.

The middle pickup is a Seymour Duncan SSL 5-7 RWRP. This thing sings!

I was able to use a buddy's CNC to carve all the added switches but I had to do the relief cuts in the cavity by hand. The mini toggles are almost sunk full depth. I used a 5/8" brad point after drilling the pilot holes to counter sink them into the cavity. I used a 3/4" very sharp chisel to provide the relief for the super 5 way.

Some Close ups of the insane wiring I did. This allows me get Strat, Tele, and Humbucker tones from one guitar.

The super switch is wired like this:
1. Bridge
2. Bridge outside coil + Middle
3. Bridge + Neck
4. Neck outside coil + Middle
5. Neck

The mini toggles are coil taps for the neck and bridge in positions 1, 3, and 5.

The push/pull on the tone changes position 3 from B+N to just the middle pickup.

This was a lot of fun and I will be doing it again shortly.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Well, that's an insane wiring cavity. :lol: Very clean routing, too. :yesway:

Also, Seanbabs! :wub:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Nice work! I've been slacking on my crazy wiring jobs :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Sweet!

Are you going to use the same pickups in the blue one?

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
holy shit that wiring is nuts
It sure is nice to have a guitar that gets you that many tones :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
You know, it's funny because that's the sort of wiring configuration you'd expect of a guy who owns one guitar, but wants it to do everything. :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I was very interested in trying one of those out. Is the nazgul really that terrible? I quite liked a few examples i found of it on youtube.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet!

Are you going to use the same pickups in the blue one?
No the middle will be the same but I have a Sentient/Pegasus set for it currently. I also have a bunch of Dimarzio's I want to try. Thats the main reason I put the liberator pot in :lol:

holy shit that wiring is nuts
It sure is nice to have a guitar that gets you that many tones :)
Yeah Its great to be able to get what I need on the fly.

That guitar with HSH looks so much more appealing than the original HH variant! Good work!!!!!
Thanks man!

Nice work! I've been slacking on my crazy wiring jobs :lol:
Yeah you have! I actually looked at one of your old thread for a different guitar I just wired up :yesway:

Well, that's an insane wiring cavity. :lol: Very clean routing, too. :yesway:
Thanks man!

Wirelessly posted (iBrone)

Looks awesome. Love the green and blue colors.
Yeah bright colors are my thing too!

Thats pretty sick. :yesway:
Thanks!

Love the HSH and wiring. Very nicely done. :yesway:
Thank you!
I'm now GAS-ing hard for a 7-string with that pickup/switching setup.
Good :lol: I can make a diagram if any one is interested :yesway:

You know, it's funny because that's the sort of wiring configuration you'd expect of a guy who owns one guitar, but wants it to do everything. :lol:
Yeah I am all about flavor in my playing so sometimes I just really want a Tele tone but I hate having to switch guitars all the time.

I was very interested in trying one of those out. Is the nazgul really that terrible? I quite liked a few examples i found of it on youtube.
Some guys really dig it. It's just not for me. Honestly I would buy the guitar and then you can flip the pickup pretty easy at ss.org and try something else. The sentient is the goods tho :metal:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yeah you have! I actually looked at one of your old thread for a different guitar I just wired up :yesway:
Nice :D

I suppose I've just found what I liked having available live: a hot humbucker (A5, 10~14k), a HB sized P90 in the neck, a 3-way toggle, and a kill switch :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finished the twin this weekend :yesway:

I swapped the Floyd from a Special to a German OFR in chrome.

I am running a Pegasus/Sentient Set and it sounds massive :metal:

I had to use the original black nut because the OFR nut was slightly different and didnt line up.

TWINS!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Damn. :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts