Metal Guitarist Forums banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Honestly, I'm pretty peeved that they didn't just adapt the Zahn trilogy for the sequel trilogy, and this just adds more to it, because The Mandalorian is constrained by it to an extent. The sequel trilogy is like Van Halen's III album. You're a big fan, you want to love it, and you pretend to for at least a little while. But then you finally admit to yourself and others that it really is a big pile of shit. At least Lucas had a strategy with the prequels.
Yeah, hate to admit it, but this. I really really really tried to like it, tried to make peace with it - but even if i can let them get away with Force Awakens as a fan-service, TLJ and ROS are a fucking joke.

I tell you what - this Mando finale gives me CLOSURE. It healed me.
The Sequel trilogy and especcially how Luke is handled, left an open wound on my soul. THIS is the last i have seen of my hero? We never got enough Luke as fully evolved Jedi Master, outside of ROTJ.
And now this. Is it a total fanserrvice? YES IT IS, but good god this is a GOOD thing, everybody treats it like tis something bad - "oh they gave the fans what they wanted.." - YES, THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO.

I am so super happy currently and have an inner peave with Star Wars again finally.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
:lol:

In fairness I do think a lot of this is just for dramatic tension + so much of the Star Wars aesthetic is basically slapping a sci fi skin and some space Buddhism over shit from WW2 and samurai movies. Having to do some cloak and dagger stuff or run a blockade to pass along a secret message is a lot more interesting than sending it over Signal, you know? :lol:
That's fair. :lol: Still, vonsidering....

...the last time we see Boba Fett in the original trilogy, he was busy trying to kill Luke Skywalker before he's advertently sent to his apparent death in the sarlacc, it's certainly a little odd that when he shows up 5 years later Boba seems not to recognize him, or didn't mention, "hey, we last saw each other on fairly bad terms, but there's this Jedi who I once tried to kill, who almost killed me instead..."

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Yeah, hate to admit it, but this. I really really really tried to like it, tried to make peace with it - but even if i can let them get away with Force Awakens as a fan-service, TLJ and ROS are a fucking joke.
The Force Awakens was fun to watch, but was basically a straight remake of A New Hope. That would have been fine had they gone on and done something different in 8 and 9, which they started to in 8 before they spent all of 9 first undoing 8 and then reshooting Return of the Jedi's ending, but all together it just makes them a tangled, directionless mess.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Same, my LG TV is 2 years old but appearantly that's too old for the Disney+ App.
So I ended up signing up for Disney+, but I canceled after less than a week. Luckily it was during the free trial period, so I shouldn't be charged for anything. But it was a lot worse than I heard. Not only was there no PS4/other console app, no app on my smart TV (that I bought in 2019 - nor was there any I could find by searching on it), couldn't log in by the US PSN Disney+ app, or log in by the console browser, when I tried connecting by HDMI, it gave me an HDCP message, saying that I could only watch in SD unless I connected via "a proper HDCP method," despite using a smart TV from 2019, a high-spec laptop from 2020, and an HDMI cable I got a few years ago (2016-2018). I also was unable to use the TV's "mirroring" feature while Disney+ was open and logged in. And canceling my Disney+ account in Japan was a true challenge. Every streaming service I've used until now has a super easy-to-understand, clear way to cancel your subscription, but Disney+ was a confusing maze. Now, the way Disney does it in Japan might be completely different from how it's done in the US, but... yeah, if I keep going on, it'll just go into a neverending rant. :lol:

So, I ended up watching Season 1 and Season 2 of The Mandalorian on my laptop, which is about 1/10th the size of my TV's screen. Overall, I thought the second season was way better than the first season and it was an entertaining show, but I couldn't help but feel that it's quite overrated. :shrug: Maybe being forced to watch it on my laptop unconsciously lowered my rating a bit, but I thought it was an overall enjoyable and entertaining show, but didn't quite live up to the massive hype. I'm also one who prefers an overarching story, which is why I preferred the more connected nature of Season 2 over the episodic, unrelated "adventure-of-the-week" feel of Season 1.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
No. The Mandalorian isn't perfect.
It has episodes that I would never watch again and no episode is nearly long enough to watch and was quite repetitive at one point. What is good however is good.

That being said, I've felt that SW should have made a Boba Fett trilogy in the vein of John Wick meets Deadpool (not the comedy, thr grit) You make it the gritty SW film series and show a whole other side of the Galaxy in being a Bounty Hunter. Sure. We are getting T.V. Series but there is nothing like having a the film production of a movie. That Mandolorian has it but it still isn't all the way there.

Otherwise, I enjoy the show and Mando as a new character of the SW Universe.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So I ended up signing up for Disney+, but I canceled after less than a week. Luckily it was during the free trial period, so I shouldn't be charged for anything. But it was a lot worse than I heard. Not only was there no PS4/other console app, no app on my smart TV (that I bought in 2019 - nor was there any I could find by searching on it), couldn't log in by the US PSN Disney+ app, or log in by the console browser, when I tried connecting by HDMI, it gave me an HDCP message, saying that I could only watch in SD unless I connected via "a proper HDCP method," despite using a smart TV from 2019, a high-spec laptop from 2020, and an HDMI cable I got a few years ago (2016-2018). I also was unable to use the TV's "mirroring" feature while Disney+ was open and logged in. And canceling my Disney+ account in Japan was a true challenge. Every streaming service I've used until now has a super easy-to-understand, clear way to cancel your subscription, but Disney+ was a confusing maze. Now, the way Disney does it in Japan might be completely different from how it's done in the US, but... yeah, if I keep going on, it'll just go into a neverending rant. :lol:

So, I ended up watching Season 1 and Season 2 of The Mandalorian on my laptop, which is about 1/10th the size of my TV's screen. Overall, I thought the second season was way better than the first season and it was an entertaining show, but I couldn't help but feel that it's quite overrated. :shrug: Maybe being forced to watch it on my laptop unconsciously lowered my rating a bit, but I thought it was an overall enjoyable and entertaining show, but didn't quite live up to the massive hype. I'm also one who prefers an overarching story, which is why I preferred the more connected nature of Season 2 over the episodic, unrelated "adventure-of-the-week" feel of Season 1.
Must be a regional thing, because there's a Disney+ app on PS4 here in the US. That's how my son and I watch it in the basement, since the monsters scare the shit out of my 8 year old daughter.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The wife and I are 6 episodes in. It's entertaining but I don't get the hype. The episodes are pointless, the acting is terrible and there is no plot. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The wife and I are 6 episodes in. It's entertaining but I don't get the hype. The episodes are pointless, the acting is terrible and there is no plot. :lol:
To be fair, most people who are watching it now would have impossibly high expectations based on coverage. Really I'm happy to have genuinely fun Star Wars content in a space Western format that respectfully shows all kinds of aspects of the universe.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
To be fair, most people who are watching it now would have impossibly high expectations based on coverage. Really I'm happy to have genuinely fun Star Wars content in a space Western format that respectfully shows all kinds of aspects of the universe.
Fair enough. We are having fun watching it but with the absolutely outrageous hype surrounding it, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. It's kind of like the Witcher with shittier fight scenes.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Must be a regional thing, because there's a Disney+ app on PS4 here in the US. That's how my son and I watch it in the basement, since the monsters scare the shit out of my 8 year old daughter.
Yeah, that's what I mentioned. And you can't log into the US PS4 Disney+ app with a Japanese Disney+ account, so it did me no good.

Although my overall impression wasn't quite as negative as this, I did feel like the show was insanely overhyped, extremely repetitive, and terribly unbalanced with some really good episodes and some really mediocre episodes.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I actually didn't mean it to come across that negatively. I still enjoyed it, but other than Mando gathering his troops RPG style, the plot's more than a little thin. What the hell was the point of the prison ship episode?

We finished S1 tonight and enjoyed it though. It's good fun, though this certainly isn't Chernobyl. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I kinda like that there isn't a massive overarching plot in S1, and that it's basically just "Adventures in Star Wars" without being tied too heavily to any movie characters' story.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I actually didn't mean it to come across that negatively. I still enjoyed it, but other than Mando gathering his troops RPG style, the plot's more than a little thin. What the hell was the point of the prison ship episode?

We finished S1 tonight and enjoyed it though. It's good fun, though this certainly isn't Chernobyl. :lol:
That actually reminds me of something I thought the entire time I was watching the show, right from the first episode. It really felt like a video game. Like, Mando's abilities, weapons, and gadgets are all straight up out of a video game. How he switches between flame thrower, those whistling birds (which he can only use like once per episode), the pistol/blaster, the rifle, the rifle that disintegrates people, his blade, his grappling line, as well as the RPG/action game upgrades he gets like his upgraded armor, his jet pack, etc. I just felt like they had designed him to be like a video game character.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
That actually reminds me of something I thought the entire time I was watching the show, right from the first episode. It really felt like a video game. Like, Mando's abilities, weapons, and gadgets are all straight up out of a video game. How he switches between flame thrower, those whistling birds (which he can only use like once per episode), the pistol/blaster, the rifle, the rifle that disintegrates people, his blade, his grappling line, as well as the RPG/action game upgrades he gets like his upgraded armor, his jet pack, etc. I just felt like they had designed him to be like a video game character.
That sweet rifle disappeared for the last few episodes of S1 too. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I kinda like that there isn't a massive overarching plot in S1, and that it's basically just "Adventures in Star Wars" without being tied too heavily to any movie characters' story.
It felt like some sort of Lone Ranger type serial, which given the vibe and soundtrack and whatnot, may very well have been by design. :lol:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
When we went up to Mass last week for Christmas, we had my in-laws check out The Mando, I think it took us 3 days to blast through both seasons. They certainly aren’t big SW fans, but LOVED Mando. Got my wife one of the Hasbro Grogu’s that she’s been talking to and carrying around almost to a concerning amount.

We decided to re-watch all the movies, as we haven’t seen any of the sequel trilogies yet, nor Solo. We made it through the first 3 pieces of shit. Man, I always forget how bad they are until I get into them. I really can’t believe no one on set spoke up with, “Hey, I know we’re going to CG the rest of this scene, but really? You all think Hayden delivered his lines in an acceptable fashion?” Granted, the dialogue itself is fucking terrible, but still, a good actor can at least add something to shit lines. My favorite was in Attack Of The Clones when he was assigned to watch Portman, they do their initial greeting then the next scene is him crying like a little bitch and throwing a hissy fit about how everything is unfair. I don’t know if they figured the audience would assume some days have passed between those interactions, but the way it was set up in the movie, it was like he went from “Oh, nice to see you again. LIFE ISN’T FAIR TO MEEEEEEEEE WAAAHHHHH!”

I’m anxious to see the newer flicks and revisit the original trilogy as it’s been about 10 years since the last time.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
SO. Just finished 2nd season.

I thought the Must Bring The Child To One Of His Own --> Go to planet X --> Hey I need help --> Ok, but let's accomplish this mission first --> Oh, you need to go on this another planet --> Repeat ... Was getting nowhere.

But THEN.

Best ending ever.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts