Metal Guitarist Forums banner

No Mandalorian thread?

10K views 144 replies 29 participants last post by  Rev Drucifer 
#1 ·
A little surprised by that.

I've been watching this with my girlfriend. Bulletpoint review:

1) It's entertaining - I can nitpick things here and there but it's been a lot of fun.
2) I have no clue what or if there's going to be an overarching story, or if it's going to be a Lone Ranger style "The Incredible Adventures of the Mandalorian and his Sidekick, Baby Yoda."
3) Baby Yoda steals pretty much every scene he's in. My girlfriend just coos and squeals uncontrollably whenever he comes on screen. We got caught up on episode 6 last night, and she had to go back afterwards and rewatch a few scenes because she didn't think Baby Yoda had a big enough role in this episode. I don't disagree.

#2 ·
IMHO this series is the best "star wars" related thing since the original trilogy.

We finished e07 just 10 minutes ago,great episode.

3) Baby Yoda steals pretty much every scene he's in. My girlfriend just coos and squeals uncontrollably whenever he comes on screen.
Yeah, similar scenes in our household... Only that it's actually me who is cooing every time he is on.

#3 ·
IMHO this series is the best "star wars" related thing since the original trilogy.

We finished e07 just 10 minutes ago,great episode.

Yeah, similar scenes in our household... Only that it's actually me who is cooing every time he is on.
I mean, I'm mostly just quieter than she is. :lol:

#5 ·
Obviously I watch it. I had like, 200 different varieties of Boba Fett action figures as a kid, shit tons of different Slave I models, the Mandalorian Armor novels trilogy, :lol: the fucking works. I don't watch the episodes when they come out, I tried that on the first 4. The Episodes are so short it's a bummer, I actually thought they were going to release the whole season at once, Netflix style. It's better to wait until like, 3 are out at once you haven't seen and then marathon those.

Distribution style aside, I like it, obviously I'm not caught up yet, but good on Disney for actually keeping the helmet on all the time. That's an integral part of the mythos of the Mandalorian culture and I was really worried they were going to make it a "hey, look at this star or that star".

That said, as much as I like the show, as someone who has been a huge fan of the whole "Mandalorian mythos" thing since I was like, 7, I'm disappointed to see it getting so much mainstream attention. I feel like I have to take my Mythosaur skull stickers off stuff, because it's annoying to have people be like, "Yeah, I like that show too".

It was always mega popular among the fandom of course, but when shit like that gets too mainstream it's just not as cool if you were a fan before. I thought the idea of the Night's Watch was cool the first time I read the ASOIAF, but when the show came out and all the sudden like, people who weren't even in nerd subcultures were just throwing around catchphrases, it became not as fun. That said, I'm not stupid enough to think being a fan of all the Mandalorian stuff was ever mega obscure, Boba Fett's post Sarlaac Fate and the Mandalorian culture exploration in general was a huge part of what drove the EU boom in the '90s.

Show is cool though, even if I think the distribution strategy fucking sucks. Either make the episodes longer, or put it out all at once Netflix style. The whole "bite sized" format makes it harder to get invested.

But you know, once again, mega MEGA props to Disney for not throwing out a huge cornerstone of the mythical culture and have a bunch of characters taking off their helmets just to be like, "oh, I know that actor". Respect. That was a solid choice. Of course, I anticipate helmets will eventually come off, but as long as its in extreme moderation, that's fine. Since the inception, the cornerstone of the mythos, way predating the series was like, "You are seeing their real faces, they are a culture obsessed with cool battle armor". So the #1 fear was Disney was going to throw out that characterization, which I was glad to see they avoided.

And yeah, Baby Yoda. That's all that really needs to be said. Cultural phenomenon.

#8 ·
2) I have no clue what or if there's going to be an overarching story, or if it's going to be a Lone Ranger style "The Incredible Adventures of the Mandalorian and his Sidekick, Baby Yoda."
This season reminds me of the first two Witcher books. A series of short stories to introduce characters, situations, and the world to you, then an epic and more in-depth story once you're more familiar. Let's see what season 2 holds, because season 1 is just a series of short stories so far. Awesome ones, very reminiscent of quests in RPG games, but short stories for sure.

#9 ·
This season reminds me of the first two Witcher books. A series of short stories to introduce characters, situations, and the world to you, then an epic and more in-depth story once you're more familiar. Let's see what season 2 holds, because season 1 is just a series of short stories so far. Awesome ones, very reminiscent of quests in RPG games, but short stories for sure.
Glad I wasn't the only one who got that read, the whole, "You start with shitty armor, but you earn the good stuff as quest rewards." structure was cool.

Of course, in terms of Star Wars super fan level griping, no one was thrilled that they invented the whole "Beskar Steel" thing, since it was called "Mandalorian Iron" for fucking ever.

They tried to retcon it and say, "Technically they refer to the same thing" and if you go look at Wookiepedia they've amended it to, "Beskar Steel, also known as Mandalorian Iron". They did that with lightsaber crystals too.

But considering one of Star Wars main weaknesses is giving names that sound stupid for things, I couldn't get stoked on Beskar Steel. Especially when, narratively, it makes more sense to call it by its other cooler name, instead of introducing more stupid sounding shit for people to keep track of.

And before anyone says, "That's just autism spectrum fanboy griping, all fictional universes give unnecessarily stupid names to regular things", allow me to remind you that the only musical genre explicitly mentioned by name in the Star Wars mythos is "Jizz". Not "Jazz", they couldn't just call is "Jazz". "Jizz"

More baffilingly, Disney recanonized Jizz. If I was Disney, literally the fucking first thing I would do upon decanonizing all the old EU would be like, "GUYS, I KNOW THIS SUCKS, BUT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, THERE IS NO LONGER A MUSIC GENRE KNOWN AS JIZZ".

Nope.

I was actually super stoked to hear regular person words like "hell" in The Mandalorian, it's about time Star Wars stopped mucking things up by making up a bunch of stupid sounding names for stuff that already has better names.

The next time someone is like, "the whole midi-chlorian thing is so fucking stupid", lets just remember that the original trilogy had a musical genre called Jizz.

#10 ·
Also, another all time classic from "Star Wars giving cool things that already had cool names stupid names for no good reason".

"Thrawn" is like, a naturally cool sounding made up word. Like, Black Metal Stage Name cool.

But someday someone just barged intro the writers room and was like, "HEY GUYS, WOULDN'T IT BE COOLER IF THRAWN WAS ACTUALLY SHORT FOR Mitth'raw'nuruodo?"

"Thrawn" = cool sounding

"Mitth'raw'nuruodo" = sounds like a JRR Tolkien word for a Mithril Dwarf Toilet reserved for particularly nasty dwarf shits

#15 ·
Meh, not watching, too much else going on, but...

Full stop. Been seeing her long? Going well? :wub:
:rofl:

Since last September, though things didn't get serious till the start of the year (she's a doctor, was dealing with boards and a new job before then). Things are going pretty good, though - to come full circle - if she was forced to choose, I'm not positive I don't rank second behind Baby Yoda. :lol:

#29 ·
:agreed:

The problem is, there are too many people who don't care for their dog. Oh, I know they love their dog but they need more than love. They need a lot of attention and exercise. Nothing wrong with that, but if you don't want to give them what they need then don't get one.

Also, please stop buying "Support Animal" harnesses just so you can bring your companion to Walmart. Thanx.

#31 ·
Oh, I totally agree that dogs take more time and care. Cats are nice if you like low-maintenance animals that you can leave at home for a weekend. But, I prefer dogs emotionally. And, until I retire, I probably won't have the time for a pair (one is cruel imo, dogs are pack animals).

Ideally, I prefer no animals in the house, and a neighbor with a couple of nice dogs :lol:

#32 ·
Just finished the season finale, holy shit. For anyone who hasn't seen them, I highly recommend checking out the Mandalorian centric episodes of Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels for more context. The Mando plot line in Rebels ended with Mandalore being in open revolt against the Empire; with all the talk of "the Purge" the entire season, and a certain character's possession of a particular Mandalorian artefact in the season finale, it's safe to say that the revolt ended very badly for the Mandalorians.

#38 ·
I'm now up to speed. :yesway:

Fairly obvious connection, perhaps, but if the Darksaber was so core to Mandalorian culture and rule, a pretty plausible storyline could be the Mandalorian eventually fighting and killing Moff Gideon and taking the blade back, and trying to reunite the scattered remnants of Mandalore

#43 ·
I'm going to be so disappointed if they don't bring the Clancy Brown character back. Clancy Brown is legitimately one of my all time favorite actors. It was so fucking obvious it was him under all the makeup. Legitimately one of the greatest villain actors of all time (and Mr. Krabs). Not that he hasn't appeared in a shit ton of other places in Star Wars media, being an ultra talented voice actor, but that is his first live action role.

That is pretty much the closest Clancy Brown has got in his post Highlander career to reprising the role of Kurgan. Which is an all time favorite.

Similarly, it was amazing that you could recognize Moss from the IT crowd as the droid right off the bat. Fucking love that dude as well.

There were obviously a lot of characters in there played by obvious guest stars; Sons of Anarchy dude, Harry Potter/GoT lady, Bill Burr, etc. But Clancy Brown and Moss were definitely the highlights.

#44 ·
I also thought it was a cool nod to old timey mega fans that the "Moss from The IT Crowd droid" was the same type of droid aesthetically as 4-LOM. Since Zuckuss and 4-LOM are the second best bounty hunters introduced in TESB. (They count as one unlike all the other Bounty Hunters, being a team)

I hope they bring back Zuckuss next season. They already brought back the IG droids. Dengar hasn't made an appearance. Neither has Bossk, but there were plenty of bounty hunter Trandoshans in the first episode.

#45 ·
I also thought Werner Herzog was a better villain than Breaking Bad dude.

A lot of people regard that guy as a mega skilled actor, but I thought his character wasn't that menacing. Probably not the actors fault.

Part of it is the character design. I just couldn't take it seriously, the second he came on screen I was like, "Why is Al Sharpton wearing Darth Vader's armor?".

It seriously looks like the guy was also acting in a role in an Al Sharpton biographical movie and they had to work around that.

I just can't take AL SHARPTON WEARING DARTH VADER ARMOR seriously as a character design.

#46 ·
Also, I feel like the series really fucked up by not giving Carl Weather's character a scene in which he does a manly Predator handshake with Mando.

Not only does he not get to give a manly handshake, Carl Weather's character also gets his manly handshaking arm ripped up by that beast.

I just found that part unbelievable. It would have been slightly more believable if it was the other arm. But I refuse to believe that the manly Predator handshaking arm can be ripped up by some random alien beast.

That was definitely a huge error by the writing staff/directors/producers/etc. Casting Carl Weathers and then not doing a tribute to the Predator handshake scene. Not only that, his Predator handshake arm gets torn up by a random beast. I refuse to believe that.

#47 ·
Never seen Breaking Bad, but I thought that guy played a very convincing villain. In Trump's America casting a black man as a major villain, and then making him a smart, effective, prepared, and coldly efficient one to boot, is probably a bold choice, but I was sold. :yesway:

#49 ·
Casting a bi-racial actor who was born overseas who is more famous for playing Hispanic characters and has a proven record of being profitable and critically acclaimed in an era where we are talking about the injustice of Hollywood's propensity for disproportionately giving black roles exclusively to bi-racial actors or black actors who are "Light enough for Hollywood" who have a history of being profitable is definitely not as much of a progressive victory against Trump's America as you are making it sound. :lol: I mean, that's as much of a progressive victory for blacks as Rashida Jones portraying Harriet Tubman. Keep up with the times Drew. :lol: (https://medium.com/@hanxine/the-biracial-aesthetic-colorism-and-hollywood-ebe00725cd0b) (https://www.thoughtco.com/black-actresses-speak-out-about-colorism-2834671) That is like, the safest, least progressive choice they could have made for a black space villain. Especially considering the most famous movie villain of all time is from Star Wars and was voiced by an indisputably black man, and they've cast loads of actors like Samuel L Jackson and Forest Whitaker.

The real victory against Trump's America in this show was the lead going to a man named "Pedro". Mexicans stealing our jobs, right? BUILD THE WALL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.