Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
this isn't just canada. it's what's wrong with the fucking world.

how about this, kick the fucking ball and if you miss or suck, you spend time learning how to not fucking suck. you pussy ass piece of shit. fuck.

fuck.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Rick's avatar totally makes it. :lol:

We want our children to grow up learning that sport is not about competition, rather it's about using your imagination. If you imagine you're good at soccer, then, you are.
No, sports are totally about competition, and if you suck at soccer, maybe you should work harder or find something you don't suck at.

·
getting schwifty
1,285 Posts
i'm sure the method described in this article is appropriate if you want your children to end up playing soccer exactly like the guy in rick's avatar. :yesway:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
This is so stupid. What's the point? Are they going to do the same thing with tennis? Have kids run around a court randomly swinging a racket? I also want to see some freethrows in basketball without a ball - that will be really exciting.

They're sure going to succeed in their goals of having no competition, since nobody will want to play.

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure this isn't some Onion-esque joke article? It wouldn't be the first time you've been suckered, Rick. I mean, you own an Agile...
One would think, especially considering my Agile whoring (I actually own three and plan on stockpiling more), but this is real. :lol:

I'm glad eventually the avatar worked for something. :rofl:

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
i'm sure the method described in this article is appropriate if you want your children to end up playing soccer exactly like the guy in rick's avatar. :yesway:
Because I have nothing to add to this thread other than to be pedantic, it's worth pointing out that guy in Rick's avatar is one of the best 'soccer' players in the world, and earns somewhere in the region of $400,000 a week, so I would happily be as good as him. :D

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because I have nothing to add to this thread other than to be pedantic, it's worth pointing out that guy in Rick's avatar is one of the best 'soccer' players in the world, and earns somewhere in the region of $400,000 a week, so I would happily be as good as him. :D
I found from searching some avatar website, I have no idea who it is. I found it the same way I found the Chad Kroeger avatar I had for a while. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I've thought about this a bit. It's true that playing shouldn't be only about competition at that age, since the physical differences between kids can be huge. In many sports the kids who happen to be big, strong and fast at an early age get a huge advantage, and get picked to play, while many smaller kids with good skills and good reading of the game get ignored. Usually the physical differences level out, and the kids who previously only relied on their strength and speed are usually not that good, since they're not bigger and faster anymore.

For example, when I was 12 or 13 I took part in a regional tournament where they gathered the best players from that age group to see who they'd pick for a regional team, from which they would later pick the junior national team. I played as a goalkeeper in the team that won the tournament. I didn't get called up for the regional team, even though I was clearly the best goalkeeper at the tournament. The guy who got picked was something like 185 cm tall (6'1") at 12 years old, I was about 150 cm (5'). 10 years later we were both playing at the same level, with me still clearly being the better goalkeeper, even though he'd been training with the top teams in Finland until he was about 20. I had given up any ambitions of becoming a professional footballer years earlier, so I had been playing just for fun all those years. Granted, I'm still not as tall as the guy is (he's something like 205 cm tall), but I'm faster, more agile and probably just as strong. I'm quite certain had I been training the way he had, playing against the best teams, I'd have had the potential to become a much better player than he is.

IMO they're still going over this in the entirely wrong way. There should of course be competition, because sports are no fun without competition. But the competition shouldn't be deadly serious as it often is. The problem is quite often the parents and coaches. The most effective style of play for a team of 13 year olds on a full sized pitch is to have a big, strong and fast player as an attacker and a goalkeeper who can kick the ball really far. Many of the coaches and parents want their team to win at all costs, which means the "best" players get favored, which often leads to teams playing a style that just doesn't work in the long run, and isn't fun for anyone. This style usually stops working when the kids are about 15-16, and the players who had previously been the best players of their age group suddenly aren't any good, because they're no longer bigger and faster than the rest of the players. But at 15 or 16 many of the kids that were ignored because of being too small when they were 11 or 12, have given up on the sport because they didn't get to play in the younger teams. Many players who could become great, quit playing because coaches favor the players who can get success in the short term. That's the real problem.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Rick's avatar totally makes it. :lol:

No, sports are totally about competition, and if you suck at soccer, maybe you should work harder or find something you don't suck at.
do you want a job in sport Scotland? - they could use a man with crazy ideas like yours....

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
We aren't so concerned with soccer up here anyway..

...but take the puck out of hockey...

·
Registered
185 Posts
this isn't just canada. it's what's wrong with the fucking world.

how about this, kick the fucking ball and if you miss or suck, you spend time learning how to not fucking suck. you pussy ass piece of shit. fuck.

fuck.
:yesway: lol

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
This is word for word an article that came out a year ago or two as a joke, but that time it was california or something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts