Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
hmm, I get what you are saying.

the coating on the spring is keeping the circuit from completing from the bridge to the spring claw?

Just scrape the coating off the ends of one of the springs I guess.

I never used those coated springs, I always use soft foam strips between the springs and the body wood, never

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Maybe Solder a bit of wire from the Trem Block to the Sping "attach" thing, might help as long as you compensate its length according to the Trem Movement.

Or remove the Springs and just take off the coating only where they meet Metal (Block and the other thing), so theres Metal in contact with Metal all the time.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Maybe Solder a bit of wire from the Trem Block to the Sping "attach" thing, might help as long as you compensate its length according to the Trem Movement.

Or remove the Springs and just take off the coating only where they meet Metal (Block and the other thing), so theres Metal in contact with Metal all the time.
These. I'd just run a wire from where the grounding tab is on the trem claw, to the block. Failing that just take the springs out and scrape the coating off where they make contact at both ends.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are you guys nuts?

A wire from claw thing to block would fuck with tuning stability big time :ugh:

Keep in mind this is a FLOATING Floyd.

For my dive-only Floyds I just ducktape all springs completely, since the bridge returns to zero thanks to the block thingys.

But for FLOATING there shouldn't be anything preventing the bridge from returning to zero

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Why would soldering a piece of wire (6-8 cms) would ruin the tunning stability? As long as you dont have the cable getting tangled preventing movement...

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
Why would soldering a piece of wire (6-8 cms) would ruin the tunning stability? As long as you dont have the cable getting tangled preventing movement...
right! like leave enough wire length that it can freely move back and forth while the trem block moves. I do think the other option mentioned was good too though. if you sand the coating off just where the springs contact the claw and block, they will make a circuit.

Capture.PNG

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Took Angrychair pic (sorry m8) and quickly did a mockup using Paint and a Mouse so dont judge me on my drawing skills :D

Use Superglue to attach the wire to the body and solder it to something on the Brigde, can be the Block, can be any piece of Metal in there.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took Angrychair pic (sorry m8) and quickly did a mockup using Paint and a Mouse so dont judge me on my drawing skills :D

Use Superglue to attach the wire to the body and solder it to something on the Brigde, can be the Block, can be any piece of Metal in there.
You honestly cannot figure out the tuning issues this will cause? :lol:

·
Guitarded
429 Posts
You honestly cannot figure out the tuning issues this will cause? :lol:
i just don't see how it will interfere with the springs or claw engagement distance. if the wire has enough extra length it shouldn't impede the trem, block or springs at all.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
man... I need to post this:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

The wire (thin wire) will have enough length to go back and forth and wont have any force... its just working as a conductor... the enough length will prevent applying any grabbing force...

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
No it wont man... ahahaha im laughing because its seems you arent seeing on how EASY this is and you are over complicating it... you will get it and then will say.... fuck... they were right :p

·
Guitarded
429 Posts
No it wont man... ahahaha im laughing because its seems you arent seeing on how EASY this is and you are over complicating it... you will get it and then will say.... fuck... they were right :p
tears of anger at his soldering desk right now lmao. Well Rocka, if it doesn't work you could always still sand the ends of the springs to get the coating off. Actually you could probably get away with sanding just 1 spring on both ends.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, you mean THIN wires like... if I trassled up a wire and just use one thinnest wire possible?

Well, that could work, yes.

But I was assuming I would use the wires I always use for grounding, regular guitar wires I use for everything in the electronics, which are rather thick... :idea:

Yes, if I trassled a wire and use the thinnest possible YES that could work.

I never use thin wires for grounding. Only if they come in like pickup wires 4-conducts but not between pots and bridge etcetc

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I'd like to see you try and push a fully floating trem with a length of 22awg wire and see if it moves. It would be like trying to draw fine art with a piece of cooked spaghetti.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts