Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Noiseless springs preventing grounding...

7K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  Rocka_Rollas 
#1 ·
I have had trouble with humming in one of my guitars for a while and now I figured why.

The goddamn noiseless springs... should have drawn that conclusion earlier :nuts:

Anyway, without having to scrape off the noiseless coating, is there any other way to get the grounding done?

#2 ·
hmm, I get what you are saying.

the coating on the spring is keeping the circuit from completing from the bridge to the spring claw?

Just scrape the coating off the ends of one of the springs I guess.

I never used those coated springs, I always use soft foam strips between the springs and the body wood, never

#3 ·
Maybe Solder a bit of wire from the Trem Block to the Sping "attach" thing, might help as long as you compensate its length according to the Trem Movement.

Or remove the Springs and just take off the coating only where they meet Metal (Block and the other thing), so theres Metal in contact with Metal all the time.

#5 · (Edited)
Are you guys nuts?

A wire from claw thing to block would fuck with tuning stability big time :ugh:

Keep in mind this is a FLOATING Floyd.

For my dive-only Floyds I just ducktape all springs completely, since the bridge returns to zero thanks to the block thingys.

But for FLOATING there shouldn't be anything preventing the bridge from returning to zero

#9 ·
Took Angrychair pic (sorry m8) and quickly did a mockup using Paint and a Mouse so dont judge me on my drawing skills :D

Use Superglue to attach the wire to the body and solder it to something on the Brigde, can be the Block, can be any piece of Metal in there.

#19 ·
Ok, you mean THIN wires like... if I trassled up a wire and just use one thinnest wire possible?

Well, that could work, yes.

But I was assuming I would use the wires I always use for grounding, regular guitar wires I use for everything in the electronics, which are rather thick... :idea:

Yes, if I trassled a wire and use the thinnest possible YES that could work.

I never use thin wires for grounding. Only if they come in like pickup wires 4-conducts but not between pots and bridge etcetc

#21 ·
Ok, you mean THIN wires like... if I trassled up a wire and just use one thinnest wire possible?

Well, that could work, yes.

But I was assuming I would use the wires I always use for grounding, regular guitar wires I use for everything in the electronics, which are rather thick... :idea:

Yes, if I trassled a wire and use the thinnest possible YES that could work.

I never use thin wires for grounding. Only if they come in like pickup wires 4-conducts but not between pots and bridge etcetc
Something multi-strand and flexible - computer wire, for instance. Doesn't have to be hair thin - just flexible.

#29 ·
Ok so I attempted to solder the wire to the trem, and I couldn't get it to stick to the surface.

So I superglued it into one of the holes, and then knotted it around the claw. I made sure there was enough room so I could dive fully.

Result:

First, without ground wire.

Starts at perfect zero cents, and after a deep dive, I'm back to... zero!
Could have tried a few more times tho. But I know this guitar stays well in tune.

Then WITH the wire:

First I had to find the right body angle to make it zero (just leaning the guitar super little tips over tuning, which everybody knows about floating bridges)
So, the result showed that:

-2 or -3 cents on every divebomb! I fluttered and got back to perfect 0 pitch.

Just to be sure it was the wire, I tried removing the wire and then do the same procedure with many dives:

Now it returns much easier to 0!
Sure, it flickered just between 0 and -1 sometimes, but still better than -2 or -3 as I got everytime with the wire attached!

SCIENTIFIC RESULT:

A wire will screw with tuning stability.
If fluttered it will return to pitch tho.

CONCLUSION:

Leave the bridge alone from stuff that prevents movement.

#48 · (Edited)
Ok so I attempted to solder the wire to the trem, and I couldn't get it to stick to the surface.

So I superglued it into one of the holes, and then knotted it around the claw. I made sure there was enough room so I could dive fully.

Result:

First, without ground wire.

Starts at perfect zero cents, and after a deep dive, I'm back to... zero!
Could have tried a few more times tho. But I know this guitar stays well in tune.

Then WITH the wire:

First I had to find the right body angle to make it zero (just leaning the guitar super little tips over tuning, which everybody knows about floating bridges)
So, the result showed that:

-2 or -3 cents on every divebomb! I fluttered and got back to perfect 0 pitch.

Just to be sure it was the wire, I tried removing the wire and then do the same procedure with many dives:

Now it returns much easier to 0!
Sure, it flickered just between 0 and -1 sometimes, but still better than -2 or -3 as I got everytime with the wire attached!

SCIENTIFIC RESULT:

A wire will screw with tuning stability.
If fluttered it will return to pitch tho.

CONCLUSION:

Leave the bridge alone from stuff that prevents movement.
Wow man, I'm really surprised that it had an effect. Did you end up sanding the ends of a spring instead?

#30 ·
I find that all very weird but ok... (hope you gave it enough Lenght so it never streches)

Last resort, get a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE wire roll it in one of the tunning Pegs and roll the other tip around your wrist or leg, it works and you have freedom of movement, since its a Studio Guitar you dont have to look Metal and Cool :D

#32 ·
I find that all very weird but ok... (hope you gave it enough Lenght so it never streches)
Nope it didn't stretch.

Supergluing the wire isn't going to give conductivity... Also you can't solder to the trem claw because it's aluminum.
Yeah, but this test was only to show tuning stability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.