Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pleasantly Confused
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to kill the noise from my trem springs in my 7s. I tried foam but can still hear some ring from them. I was wondering if anyone uses the Floyd noiseless springs and if they work. Also which should I get the regular, heavy duty or mix of both? I use different tuning for each B, A, Drop A etc.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I have a few sets of the heavy duty noiseless ones and they are great. I dont notice any change from using foam on my other guitars tho. Are you sure that its trem spring ring and not ringing past the nut on the headstock end?

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I stuff tissue paper inside of my springs. Roll it up and thread it up there, then I put a few sheets of paper towels under the springs. Bang the shit out of the body all you want, you won't hear those springs!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I just duct tape my springs, but then again I have dive-only setups on my Floyds so the springs don't need to come back 100% to position, because thats taken care of the dive-only blocking device.

However, for floating, I wouldn't use anything that gets in the way of the springs, so rubber covered noiseless springs is probably a good idea, instead of having things interfering with the springs movement like paper, foam or whatever.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm actually looking into these myself. My main concern is what springs are best for flutter, the stiffer ones which I might need to only use 2 of or the soft springs which I'd have to probably use more of.

Same thing goes for a brass block, not sure if it'll help or reduce flutter. :scream:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Flutter is a bout having 3 springs and having them arranged like a chicken foot:

/|\

It really does help so the heavy tension springs are great for having 3 springs on 7's or for heavy tension on 6's.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It flutters better because of the imbalance of tension on the springs :yesway: There is no mechanical reason to have them straight or angled.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
^Interesting, I might try that. I had a guitar with that formation once but I switched it to l l l and it had a better return to pitch and stayed in tune better (I guess because of spring balance instead of imbalance).

About the Noiseless Springs, I have them in 3 of my guitars and they flutter fine and feel great, otherwise in my edge Zero I just put surgical Tubing inside the springs but any "fun party plastic straw" you find at the dollar store will do the job as long as it's the right size to fit inside the springs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
^I heard that the /|\ formation of springs also causes them not to return to pitch as well as a ||| setup....

Should I go with heady duty or low tension springs?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The Floyd Upgrades ones? I have them in everything, bulk ordered like 30 years back. Can't tell a difference in sound, but they are black and look awesome.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
The Floyd Upgrades ones? I have them in everything, bulk ordered like 30 years back. Can't tell a difference in sound, but they are black and look awesome.
1. Have guitar plugged in normally on your amp
2. Hold the strings so they dont vibrate
3. Hit the strings really hard

If you hear a ringing, that's because of two things:

1. Springs makes sound. I dont have noiseless springs, but I have taped all springs with duct tape. They dont make sound anymore. But I can tape them because I have dive-only setup on all my Floyd guitars, if they were floating, I would not tape the springs because of interference with movement = will cause tuning issues
2. The strings beyond the nut makes sound. When I record I sometimes (depending on how "OCD" I am at the moment) fasten some foam to make them stop ringing.

Thousands of great songs have been recorded without these gadgets, so it's not mandatory.
It all depends on how picky one self is about the sound. :)

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Thousands of great songs have been recorded without these gadgets, so it's not mandatory.
It all depends on how picky one self is about the sound. :)
He meant he already has the noiseless springs, not sure why he would test them.

But the main appeal to me is that it helps reduce unwanted feedback and keeps the ringing out more focused.

To original poster: You don't need to get heavy duty unless you want more resistance, or unless when screwing the claw at max is still not sufficient to balance the trem parallel to the body.

·
Pleasantly Confused
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To original poster: You don't need to get heavy duty unless you want more resistance, or unless when screwing the claw at max is still not sufficient to balance the trem parallel to the body.
Thanks! I might need 2 sets of each. When I bumped my string gauges up I set the springs /l\ on my 2 UVs but had to add springs to my K7 and Prestige.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts