Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nolly is a good dude, and I wish him the best in his career. :yesway: I'm sure being the only non-US-living member of the band wasn't an ideal situation.

Hopefully this means we get more original songwriting from him - I really liked his compositions in RSF.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Hey, the best guitarist in the band left!

Seriously, good luck to him. Good guy, for sure, and can play his ass off.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Yeah, this isn't a surprise, considering he stopped touring with the band a while ago to focus on his production work. And that's been impressive. For example, he worked on the Devin Townsend Project's most recent album, Transcendence. I kind of hope he'll still play on the future Periphery material, though, since he really brought a lot to the table. :yesway:

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, this isn't a surprise, considering he stopped touring with the band a while ago to focus on his production work. And that's been impressive. For example, he worked on the Devin Townsend Project's most recent album, Transcendence. I kind of hope he'll still play on the future Periphery material, though, since he really brought a lot to the table. :yesway:
Im sure he will still produce and mix the band's albums, but wont be as close for writing and such.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I really dig his production on Transcendence and definitely look forward to hearing his future mix work.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Hey, the best guitarist in the band left!

Seriously, good luck to him. Good guy, for sure, and can play his ass off.
It's funny you mention that. Anytime a different guitarist would come play a guest solo on the album, he would transcribe it and then show the guys or at least that is what I was told.

He is a hell of a player. Doesn't get enough credit for it either.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Nolly 80's Neoclassical Shred Album Confirmed.
This, at once.

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner, TBH. His previous gig, writing and recording with the band but not touring with them, was a tough position to be in, and was a tough position, I'm sure, for their touring bassist. And, his production work has been taking off. He has a fairly distinctive sound to his work too - Trascendence sounds like one of his mixes, and that's a Devin Townsend album, for christ's sake - so I think there's a lot of opportunity for him. Stepping out of the band frees him to focus on his production work, stay home with his wife rather than tour, and if he wants to focus on his own musical projects without having to commit to any one of them full time.

Best of luck to him, though - I remember his "sloppy" videos covering Paul Gilbert solos. Guy is a monster player. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Nolly is a good dude, and I wish him the best in his career. :yesway: I'm sure being the only non-US-living member of the band wasn't an ideal situation.

Hopefully this means we get more original songwriting from him - I really liked his compositions in RSF.
This. I liked RSF better, and the dude is just insanely talented in every measure as a musician.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
How exciting. You get to see a band who's patches are changed by a computer,
Who the hell cares about this? :lol:

MIDI is awesome. If a band has a big performance synced to a click and it's easier for them to automate preset changes instead of tap dancing mid-set, I have zero problem with it. I have my Reaper projects set to change my presets for me too, and I play guitar once a month in a room by myself.

:zhao:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Nah, he's right. Patches changed by a computer is a bunch of bullshit.

While we're at it, you know what else is bullshit? Wireless systems. I mean, why use a transparent-as-fuck digital wireless system that allows you to have freedom on stage, when being tethered by a 20 - 30ft tone-sucking instrument cable can give you the proper, authentic experience?

:kerry:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Guitarists are the only idiots who care about whether the actual musicians on stage are changing their pedals with their own foots. Personally, I would much rather have the sound guy or a computer or something change the pedals or presets in a song. Why the fuck would you care whether the guitarist is doing that idiotic tap dance or not? :lol: "I can't believe this! He isn't pushing the pedal with his own foot!!! You gotta use your own feet! Yeah, I know it's annoying and sometimes you accidentally don't do it right, but you gotta do it yourself!" :lol:

I know there are those out there who hate "polished" sounds and want everything to sound as raw as possible. I've never been in that camp, though. I happen to fall into "I want things to sound as polished as possible."

·
18,790 Posts
I go both ways :)quagmire:), I'm equally impressed by a high tech, well rehearsed, high production show, and by some dude's set up in the corner of a room with no safety net. If the songs and the performance are awesome, I don't care what tricks are up their sleeve.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Nah, he's right. Patches changed by a computer is a bunch of bullshit.

While we're at it, you know what else is bullshit? Wireless systems. I mean, why use a transparent-as-fuck digital wireless system that allows you to have freedom on stage, when being tethered by a 20 - 30ft tone-sucking instrument cable can give you the proper, authentic experience?

:kerry:
No, you know what's really fucked up? Having BATTETIES power your pickups. I mean, c'mon, what's up with that shit?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
:dgaf:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts