Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I go both ways :)quagmire:), I'm equally impressed by a high tech, well rehearsed, high production show, and by some dude's set up in the corner of a room with no safety net. If the songs and the performance are awesome, I don't care what tricks are up their sleeve.
I'm impressed with it, it just strikes me as boring and clinical. There's no spontaneity in it, it's just like the album.

I think I've just romanticized the idea of live shows; I remember going downtown to the Doubledoor, and everyone just had their shit duct-taped to the floor, and stomped on shit. It was very punk rock, even though it was actually metal being played. I totally get the appeal of all the automation, I'd just be lying if I was thinking I like it more than the old school way.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Nah, he's right. Patches changed by a computer is a bunch of bullshit.

While we're at it, you know what else is bullshit? Wireless systems. I mean, why use a transparent-as-fuck digital wireless system that allows you to have freedom on stage, when being tethered by a 20 - 30ft tone-sucking instrument cable can give you the proper, authentic experience?

:kerry:
That's what good buffers are for, you heathen.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm impressed with it, it just strikes me as boring and clinical. There's no spontaneity in it, it's just like the album.
I do agree with you here - playing 100% to a click so much that even the preset changes can be pre-programmed is a bit sterile and boring. But while we never miss a chance to poop on Periphery I think Nolly's the wrong guy to do it to.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I do agree with you here - playing 100% to a click so much that even the preset changes can be pre-programmed is a bit sterile and boring. But while we never miss a chance to poop on Periphery I think Nolly's the wrong guy to do it to.
If you thought I was pooping on Nolly, you're getting the wrong impression, and I probably worded it poorly.

Nolly is a fantastic musician, and I think replacing him live with a laptop is stupid and douchey.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I know I've got a particularly short leash talking about these things, coming from the "other" site, but I've always found Bulb/Periphery's writing, playing and production to be particularly impressive. I know it's the dirty 'D' word but for whatever it's worth, Bulb was pretty early in that whole thing before it became super trend du jour (du decade?) and I thought, even if I wasn't super into it, the style was fresh and fairly original when he was doing it. I got sick to death of that whole sound like everyone else but no hate to Bulb and crew that it took off and kudos to them for going far with it, especially seeing as he's "one of us".

Btw, I say all that in the context of being someone that never bought a Periphery album (or pirated) or piece or merch. It's not my kinda thing but I can appreciate what they did/do. No shade on anybody for feeling the opposite on that, just wanted to throw that out there since it's a polarizing subject and the conversion was drifting there.

As far as the subject at hand, put me in the column with the rest saying I'd like to see Nolly do his own thing. He's a super talented dude and while bass playing is certainly one of those talents, his pre-Periphery body of work shows what the guy is capable of and it's been missed.

Edit: Thread needs moar vidz

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts

I think I've just romanticized the idea of live shows; I remember going downtown to the Doubledoor, and everyone just had their shit duct-taped to the floor, and stomped on shit. It was very punk rock, even though it was actually metal being played. I totally get the appeal of all the automation, I'd just be lying if I was thinking I like it more than the old school way.
What other people call "clinical" and "sterile" is what I call "the best stuff out there right now." I think "spontaneity" is boring. Why would you want to ruin a performance with something as disgusting as spontaneity?

I find what other people consider to be "fresh" and "spontaneous" to be "stale" and "boring as fuck." I find stuff like Periphery to be extremely fresh and not just a rehash of what people were playing 30, 40, or 50 years ago.

Not to say that I don't like stuff from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and so on. I do. But I don't want to hear new bands rehashing that stuff. Retro needs to die.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Hmmm, I'm right between Jeff and Naren here.

I've got no problems with automated MIDI switching, but I'm a big fan of spontaneity at shows. Dream Theater shows used to be that way, lots of improv and jamming and that had a major influence on me when I was younger, getting me to really enjoy improv jams. You don't see too many bands these days deviating and just going into a free style jam mid-tune, not in the bands we generally discuss here, anyway. Pantera or Faith No More when they'd randomly bust into a cover tune or fuck off onstage, even Blink182 with their onstage banter, I love that shit. Hearing a song slightly faster than it should be because the energy is high that night, you don't get that with a click-track. That's one of the biggest things I miss about Dream Theater live, Portnoy just rocked those tunes out...Mangini has to stay right at the album tempo or Petrucci will start bench-pressing Mangini's kit.

Oh yeah....when I shave my head, I look a bit like Nolly. There, now my post is relevant.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Hmmm, I'm right between Jeff and Naren here.

I've got no problems with automated MIDI switching, but I'm a big fan of spontaneity at shows. Dream Theater shows used to be that way, lots of improv and jamming and that had a major influence on me when I was younger, getting me to really enjoy improv jams. You don't see too many bands these days deviating and just going into a free style jam mid-tune, not in the bands we generally discuss here, anyway. Pantera or Faith No More when they'd randomly bust into a cover tune or fuck off onstage, even Blink182 with their onstage banter, I love that shit. Hearing a song slightly faster than it should be because the energy is high that night, you don't get that with a click-track. That's one of the biggest things I miss about Dream Theater live, Portnoy just rocked those tunes out...Mangini has to stay right at the album tempo or Petrucci will start bench-pressing Mangini's kit.
I'm usually a big fan of spontaneity but in Periphery's case, the nature of their music demands precision and they can get away with having a reliance of backing tracks. I unfortunately missed their recent Melbourne show, but I was told by my friends that they still pulled a great high energy show, which really all that matters in the end.

Come to think of it, almost all of the modern bands use backing tracks nowadays. Nothing against them at all, and I've seen some great live bands using them. But sometimes I do think that I really miss certain spontaneity or the lost art of clever arrangement. Or when multi instrumentalists like Geddy Lee or Mike Keneally effortlessly multi tasking through songs. Rush is pretty much the best example of right down the middle: the use of modern tech to ease performance whilst still showing they can pull off every sound with just 3 members.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Good luck to him! I'm a big fan of Nolly and I'm really pleased that his production career is taking off. I'm sure there's even more, bigger and better things still to come for him too. His guitar playing really is off the charts good, so I really do hope he gets more time and chance to show that off to us all.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
What other people call "clinical" and "sterile" is what I call "the best stuff out there right now." I think "spontaneity" is boring. Why would you want to ruin a performance with something as disgusting as spontaneity?

I find what other people consider to be "fresh" and "spontaneous" to be "stale" and "boring as fuck." I find stuff like Periphery to be extremely fresh and not just a rehash of what people were playing 30, 40, or 50 years ago.

Not to say that I don't like stuff from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and so on. I do. But I don't want to hear new bands rehashing that stuff. Retro needs to die.
What does retro have to do with anything I said? There are plenty of bands that control their own shit, not a laptop. It's got nothing to do with "retro".

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
What does retro have to do with anything I said? There are plenty of bands that control their own shit, not a laptop. It's got nothing to do with "retro".
Die retro...DIE!!!!!

·
Bowes Guitars
1,958 Posts
How exciting. You get to see a band who's patches are changed by a computer, and who's bassist is now a computer. :roll2:
Periphery is one of the best bands I've ever seen live. They are on point, totally professional and absolutely dedicated to playing their fucking asses off dude. Who cares if they don't have to worry about changing patches?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Periphery is one of the best bands I've ever seen live. They are on point, totally professional and absolutely dedicated to playing their fucking asses off dude. Who cares if they don't have to worry about changing patches?
Because knowing the entire performance is on rails is boring, dude.

They're all amazing musicians, despite making IMO awful music. I won't debate that. But the on the rails thing doesn't appeal to me, and replacing Nolly live with backing tracks is really, really lame.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't follow the band, but that has to be a temporary thing, right? :lol:

"The band can't make it tonight, but no worries, we will be hooking up Lucas's iPod to the FOH system so there's no need for a refund!"

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I don't follow the band, but that has to be a temporary thing, right? :lol:

"The band can't make it tonight, but no worries, we will be hooking up Lucas's iPod to the FOH system so there's no need for a refund!"
I would sure hope so. :rofl:

"We're going to be playing the album all the way through, in it's entirety! No really. The album. We're going to sit here with you and listen!"

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Because knowing the entire performance is on rails is boring, dude.

They're all amazing musicians, despite making IMO awful music. I won't debate that. But the on the rails thing doesn't appeal to me, and replacing Nolly live with backing tracks is really, really lame.
Don't quote me on this until someone fact-checks it, but I'm 90% sure that for a while now Nolly has only been a "studio" member of the band, and they've had another (real live human) bassist touring with them. They may change patches with a computer, but I'm pretty sure they've got a real live human playing bass.

As far as patch changes via MIDI.... Eh, as a dyed-in-the-wool tube snob and something of a primitive curmudgen when it comes to gear - I don't even really use much in the way of FX - I have less of a problem with this than you might think. If I was in a situation where we were playing to a click anyway and we had a bunch of patch changes to worry about, I totally get the appeal of outsourcing that to a MIDI track so I could just focus on playing music and having fun - this may come as a bit of a shock, but I didn't get into guitar because I really enjoy stepping on pedals. :lol: The only major downside is it limits your ability to improvise or jam, but in a lot of contexts that's not really a priority anyway, so whatever.

I know I've got a particularly short leash talking about these things, coming from the "other" site, but I've always found Bulb/Periphery's writing, playing and production to be particularly impressive. I know it's the dirty 'D' word but for whatever it's worth, Bulb was pretty early in that whole thing before it became super trend du jour (du decade?) and I thought, even if I wasn't super into it, the style was fresh and fairly original when he was doing it. I got sick to death of that whole sound like everyone else but no hate to Bulb and crew that it took off and kudos to them for going far with it, especially seeing as he's "one of us".

Btw, I say all that in the context of being someone that never bought a Periphery album (or pirated) or piece or merch. It's not my kinda thing but I can appreciate what they did/do. No shade on anybody for feeling the opposite on that, just wanted to throw that out there since it's a polarizing subject and the conversion was drifting there.

As far as the subject at hand, put me in the column with the rest saying I'd like to see Nolly do his own thing. He's a super talented dude and while bass playing is certainly one of those talents, his pre-Periphery body of work shows what the guy is capable of and it's been missed.

Edit: Thread needs moar vidz

This is how I feel, too. I don't really LOVE Periphery on stylistic grounds - not my thing but that's cool - but my problem with djent has way less to do with Periphery (who at the end of the day are pretty cool guys writing very identifiable music, and have the chops to pull it off live) than it does their imitators. I've seen them live, had a good time at the show, and while I don't listen to it much I have one or two of their albums, and I've generally dug their music videos. It was actually a really cool experience, seeing them live, because after years of Periphery being "bulb from the Petrucci forums" it was like part of the internet had been made flesh and walked out on a stage in Allston, MA. Kind of a surreal experience. :lol:

21 - 40 of 69 Posts