Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Don't quote me on this until someone fact-checks it, but I'm 90% sure that for a while now Nolly has only been a "studio" member of the band, and they've had another (real live human) bassist touring with them. They may change patches with a computer, but I'm pretty sure they've got a real live human playing bass.
You are incorrect. They just added his bass to the backing tracks with the synths/keys and backing vocals and other effects.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
You are incorrect. They just added his bass to the backing tracks with the synths/keys and backing vocals and other effects.

Well that sucks. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
A lot of metal bands don't even have bass players since they can be the hardest member to keep (whether that means the guitarist plays bass on the album or they just have studio bass players who don't tour). :lol: So I think that's superior to just not having bass at all, though I'd agree that having an actual bass player there would be much better. I imagine they'll have a bass player touring with them soon, though, now that Nolly's out of the band.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
IMHO, I'm not big into backing tracks to begin with - I've seen a handful of modern metalcore bands with a friend who's really into that stuff (like Northlane) and they literally all use laptops for everything now. Patch switching, clicks, backing tracks. Most bands have at least an extra guitar line and some synth in every song.

A few months back I saw Hands like Houses (IIRC) and their laptop crashed during the first song of the set, and they straight up couldn't play without it.

IMHO (it bears repeating haha), at what point are you not really listening to a band anymore, and just listening to the album?

·
18,790 Posts
I think Periphery strikes a good balance, though treads close to the line with having the bass on there.

Bands like Porcupine Tree and Nine Inch Nails who use it just for the stuff that's literally impossible to do live and could absolutely continue without it, I'm totally fine with. They're just using it for the extra 5% on top. Bands that use it for 50+% of their sound? Lame.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I've got no probs with backing tracks if they've got shit like keys, shakers and big choir type stuff that can't be produced live without 3-4 back-up singers...but when it's just a two or three part harmony and there's 4-5 dudes on the stage, get your shit together and sing it.

The vocals-on-tape thing is starting to happen on a local level as well. A couple years back my previous band played a show with these dudes from Cuba, they tore shit up through their entire set. They closed the set with a cover of Fear Factory's "Archetype", I was pretty drunk so I ran up front and started rockin' out, the closer I got to the two guys singing, they'd turn away from me and bow their hair over their faces/mics and the second I saw a dude slip up and not sing when he was supposed to but the vocals were still coming out the PA I knew something was up. I stood still with my arms crossed just watching them which threw them off a bit because they were spending more time trying to hide it than they were performing. Really lame.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The vocals-on-tape thing is starting to happen on a local level as well. A couple years back my previous band played a show with these dudes from Cuba, they tore shit up through their entire set. They closed the set with a cover of Fear Factory's "Archetype", I was pretty drunk so I ran up front and started rockin' out, the closer I got to the two guys singing, they'd turn away from me and bow their hair over their faces/mics and the second I saw a dude slip up and not sing when he was supposed to but the vocals were still coming out the PA I knew something was up. I stood still with my arms crossed just watching them which threw them off a bit because they were spending more time trying to hide it than they were performing. Really lame.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I think Periphery strikes a good balance, though treads close to the line with having the bass on there.

Bands like Porcupine Tree and Nine Inch Nails who use it just for the stuff that's literally impossible to do live and could absolutely continue without it, I'm totally fine with. They're just using it for the extra 5% on top. Bands that use it for 50+% of their sound? Lame.
What's pretty much where I'm at.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
With all the rampant lip syncing and miming everywhere in music these days, I feel like the world owes those dudes an apology.
At least most people these days are lip syncing their own parts. Milli Vanilli didn't even do it in the studio.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Bulb is a talented player. Nolly is a ridiculously talented player. I've never really listened to any of the Periphery records, but they were both at one of our N. Va. guitar get-togethers years ago. Nolly was the best guitarist in the room by a long ways--he could probably show it off a lot more outside the metal context.

·
18,790 Posts
Jesus. Why is this even a debate? Work on your parts AND your live pedal work... Then pull it off live, flawlessly.
I prefer seeing bands that aren't stuck to one spot on the stage staring at their hands and feet. It's a show.

I don't see how this is any different than any huge band (Metallica for example) having their techs do the switching for them so they can be anywhere on stage.

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Techs switching pedals ia cool. A bass player or singer switching you into and out of a solo patch is better. Lets your lead guitar player lean out ovee the monitors in rockstar mode, keeps the switching flawless, and impresses the ones who notice the clever coordination and usage of just those in the band.

Kids are so worried about botches being immortalised on youtube that instead their lack of balls are becoming immortalized. Thats not a good trade IMO. If metal is an attitude, that sure as shit isnt cutting it.

If you're worried about fucking up... Well... Focus on working on not fucking up.

Actually focus on all aspects of the the live performance - even the inconvenient ones.... Try finding the functional workarounds rather than worrying about looking cool.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Techs switching pedals ia cool. A bass player or singer switching you into and out of a solo patch is better. Lets your lead guitar player lean out ovee the monitors in rockstar mode, keeps the switching flawless, and impresses the ones who notice the clever coordination and usage of just those in the band.

Kids are so worried about botches being immortalised on youtube that instead their lack of balls are becoming immortalized. Thats not a good trade IMO. If metal is an attitude, that sure as shit isnt cutting it.

If you're worried about fucking up... Well... Focus on working on not fucking up.

Actually focus on all aspects of the the live performance - even the inconvenient ones.... Try finding the functional workarounds rather than worrying about looking cool.
You're making a lot of assumptions. In my last band, I never moved away from the mic or pedals because I needed to push them quite a bit. 99% of the time I didn't fuck up, but sometimes I'd hit a pedal and it wouldn't respond. I'm sure we all have those moments where we're supposed to go from clean to heavy or from heavy to clean, but it doesn't work and it sounds laughable.

I seriously doubt this is "kids worried about their mistakes being immortalized on YouTube."

Now in my case, my band wasn't big enough to justify someone else changing my patches and effects for me, but if I was able to do that, I can guarantee I would have. And I wasn't worried about "looking cool." I just wanted the patches, effects, or whatever to switch at the right time.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If we're talking about technology moving music forward in interesting ways, I'm much more impressed with how Twelve Foot Ninja uses technology. They might play on rails too, but at least they're doing it in a very interesting way.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You're making a lot of assumptions. In my last band, I never moved away from the mic or pedals because I needed to push them quite a bit. 99% of the time I didn't fuck up, but sometimes I'd hit a pedal and it wouldn't respond. I'm sure we all have those moments where we're supposed to go from clean to heavy or from heavy to clean, but it doesn't work and it sounds laughable.

I seriously doubt this is "kids worried about their mistakes being immortalized on YouTube."

Now in my case, my band wasn't big enough to justify someone else changing my patches and effects for me, but if I was able to do that, I can guarantee I would have. And I wasn't worried about "looking cool." I just wanted the patches, effects, or whatever to switch at the right time.
Imagine the shit show when Logic crashes. :D

41 - 60 of 69 Posts