Metal Guitarist Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Imagine the shit show when Logic crashes. :D
See, that's the flip side. It's not exactly easier to play to a click with all that automation. Shit goes wrong, someone loses their place or comes in at the wrong time, and the automation is unforgiving, it leaves you behind, and you look stupid. It's just a different kind of performance with its own required skills and needs just as much practice to get it right.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Imagine the shit show when Logic crashes. :D
:hesright:

I have no doubt that the dudes in Periphery are tight enough to play without the tech, but I have to assume that a lot (most) of the bands trying to imitate them aren't. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
:hesright:

I have no doubt that the dudes in Periphery are tight enough to play without the tech, but I have to assume that a lot (most) of the bands trying to imitate them aren't. :lol:
Yup. I guess my point is, I think every single person in Periphery is super talented; no doubt in my mind. Even the whiny bitch singer. But the on the rails performance is sterile IMO, and leaves a lot to go wrong in a very different way. And I don't even mean someone losing their place. I mean technology fucks up. You can recover from a pedal fucking up; it's tough, but it can be done. Recovering from a fucked up computer situation is going to be a lot harder, unless they have a means of going all manual, which they very well might. I certainly would hope so.

And yes, I can guarantee there are bands trying to imitate them, to much less success.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Yeah, they all have midi switchers on stage so they can keep going without the computers if needed or if they feel like changing it up a bit.
That's good then. They should also think about getting a real bassist too, to replace Mr. Apple MacBook. I hear that guy's a real dick to deal with, total hipster douche. :D

·
18,790 Posts
That's good then. They should also think about getting a real bassist too, to replace Mr. Apple MacBook. I hear that guy's a real dick to deal with, total hipster douche. :D
Yeah, I'm betting they'll get a full time bassist now. I was conflicted, as it's weird to run the bass from a backing track, but at least you were still hearing Nolly, the guy who was in the band :lol: I'm just bummed I missed seeing them with him in the band.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I hear that guy's a real dick to deal with, total hipster douche. :D
Can't be any worse than Misha on his social media platforms when someone has a different opinion from him.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
There's something kinda funny about a genre that's built on mime'd or karaoke'd youtube superstars, complete with over-emoting and it turns out the stage show is basically the same thing.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Don't quote me on this until someone fact-checks it, but I'm 90% sure that for a while now Nolly has only been a "studio" member of the band, and they've had another (real live human) bassist touring with them. They may change patches with a computer, but I'm pretty sure they've got a real live human playing bass.

As far as patch changes via MIDI.... Eh, as a dyed-in-the-wool tube snob and something of a primitive curmudgen when it comes to gear - I don't even really use much in the way of FX - I have less of a problem with this than you might think. If I was in a situation where we were playing to a click anyway and we had a bunch of patch changes to worry about, I totally get the appeal of outsourcing that to a MIDI track so I could just focus on playing music and having fun - this may come as a bit of a shock, but I didn't get into guitar because I really enjoy stepping on pedals. :lol: The only major downside is it limits your ability to improvise or jam, but in a lot of contexts that's not really a priority anyway, so whatever.

This is how I feel, too. I don't really LOVE Periphery on stylistic grounds - not my thing but that's cool - but my problem with djent has way less to do with Periphery (who at the end of the day are pretty cool guys writing very identifiable music, and have the chops to pull it off live) than it does their imitators. I've seen them live, had a good time at the show, and while I don't listen to it much I have one or two of their albums, and I've generally dug their music videos. It was actually a really cool experience, seeing them live, because after years of Periphery being "bulb from the Petrucci forums" it was like part of the internet had been made flesh and walked out on a stage in Allston, MA. Kind of a surreal experience. :lol:
:agreed: It is kinda neat to look back and "know" Bulb back then. Ive been out of the loop with the forums and Periphery and Bulb in general. That said, like Drew mentioned. They are pretty down to earth chill guys who are really good at what they do. I appreciate that even if I also don't listen to that genre.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts