Metal Guitarist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping my Fender guitar for reasons of nostalgia only, being my first electric guitar, will not get me out there as a pro. :p It just won't help unless that is the guitar I want to use. I may get rid of it, I may not but meanwhile...

What guitars are respected around here that go sub $750 used? Not entry-level either. And if you could note what routing they have that would be great. HSH seems to be the most versatile unless you find an HHH.

Also, what do you guys use the different pickups on your guitars for?
Middle single-coils for cleans (as noted by somebody one here, forgot the name)

I use my neck for solos, bridge for some rhythym and solos and middle for a lot of rhythm.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Live in fear.

I use my bridge for rythm, middle position (neck and bridge) for most lead work, and neck for cleans.. You can get plenty of good ibby stuff (like recently on ss.org there was a maple thru mahogany RGT for $300), you can get a socal for that price, plenty of older jackson/charvel goods to be had in that range, LTD1000s, BCRich stuff, American Peaveys

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I mean, shit, I have a prestige grade ibby with dimarzios and a case for $300 shipped in the classifieds right now :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Go to a store, pick up every guitar in your price range, and take home the one that feels and sounds best.

That said, Schecter, LTD, Fender, Ibanez...

Hell, I've got a Mexican made Fender Jazz Bass V that I've gigged with plenty. Your Strat is good enough to gig with, even go pro with. I use a modified Squier and feel no shame about it at all, because it sounds great.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'm waiting on everything. I'm just going to absorb information.
There's a time to take action and there's a time to listen. Right now I just need to listen and learn. :D
Wrong. You need to experience and learn. Go forth, grasshopper. Get thee to a guitar shoppe.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wrong. You need to experience and learn. Go forth, grasshopper. Get thee to a guitar shoppe.
I did and will continue to. I know the ones I like but hey, I also like this DigiTech RP350 + PA Spkr. If I was to choose I made end up playing one of those Rondo SX guitars.

You guys are supposed to be the experienced ones with guitars so I'll take suggestions. I need to know what to look for on eBay and in pawn shops and such. BTW, also would like to know the price that would be reasonable to pay for them. Also, mostly Fender guys around here, thus Fender guitar selling shops. Not much in the rock and metal department.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Dont get hung up on price Do get hung up on Sound and playability. You can find perfectly acceptable stuff for $750 bucks (especially used). Play your friends guitars - figure out what you like and dont like about them (and why). Go into a large music store and do the same thing (play different guitars until the clerk gives you the stinkeye) :lol: Guitar Centers are good for this.

You need to find out for yourself what you like and don't like - the only real way to do this is by trying lots and lots of guitars. Sure you could get us all to tell you what we like and why we like it but in the end you might end up buying something based off of a recommendation and absolutely hate it.

For me the pecking order is Playability > Tone > color/Finish I don't get hung up on Body Wood. I do Prefer Maple or Ebony Fingerboards but Rosewood works fine...

Lots of people pick Tone first . I pick it second as you can really tweak tone by changing pickups/ amp settings. A guitar that plays like a dog will probably always play like a dog (unless it was set up poorly....) Plus i tend to sound the same no matter what I play through :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Oh god, this will turn into a shitshow. :lol: Hey, points for giving it a second shot, man. :yesway:

Keeping my Fender guitar for reasons of nostalgia only, being my first electric guitar, will not get me out there as a pro. :p It just won't help unless that is the guitar I want to use. I may get rid of it, I may not but meanwhile...

What guitars are respected around here that go sub $750 used? Not entry-level either. And if you could note what routing they have that would be great. HSH seems to be the most versatile unless you find an HHH.

Also, what do you guys use the different pickups on your guitars for?
Middle single-coils for cleans (as noted by somebody one here, forgot the name)

I use my neck for solos, bridge for some rhythym and solos and middle for a lot of rhythm.
Honestly, for the money you can't beat a used Ibanez RG550 if you want a "metal" guitar. You can find them with decent aftermarket pickups for WELL under $750, they play like butter, and provided you like the basswood sound (some guys do, some don't - it's very even which can be both a blessing and a curse but because of that it holds up pretty well to FX processing, so with your digitech you should be fine), they're just super-versatile all-around axes.

Honestly, for cleans, unless I happen to be playing bluesy, gritty, Jimi-esq stuff with a lot of hit ons and ornamentation, more often than not I just use a humbucker. They're darker, but not so spikey and present so they sit in the mix pretty well. The neck works great for jazzy stuff, while I've always thought a good 'bucker can sound very lush in the bridge. For perspective, I almost never use the singlecoil on my UV7PWH. I prefer the humbuckers for almost every single application.

That said, a neck singlecoil on a Strat for leads is pure sex.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:spock:

You honestly don't realize how many rock and metal guitarists use Fender, do you?

Fuck it, save up some more and buy a Gibson, it's what most of your favourite guitarists use anyways.
Personally I favor the Strat shape. Nothing wild & pointy, they look cool but just not for me.

Gibson shape I don't like at all and I don't want a heavy, as in weight, guitar. Not saying that they don't look good but once again, just not for me.

I know Fender is used for metal and stuff but I can't find one with the 24 fret option that I am pretty hung up on.

I don't what this thread to get like the other one. Everything is going pretty well right now though. Thanks for the suggestions. RG550, on the list now.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Also, mostly Fender guys around here, thus Fender guitar selling shops. Not much in the rock and metal department.
What is with this preconception that a strat cant do metal?

Done with a Fender Fat Strat (HSS) tuned to B Standard.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Hell, all of Devin Townsend's "Terria" was cut with a stock American strat, that looks exactly like mine. :wub:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.