Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a TS7ovChaos. Sounds great, worked well, all that. It's been sitting on my pedalboard powered by a 1-spot for probably a year and a half now.

Went to my friend's place, took it off my board, and plugged into his pedalboard, which used a one-spot with a bunch of pedals daisy-chained (maybe six or eight in total.) When I plugged the TS7 in, it wouldn't turn on; no blinding blue LED, no sound, no nothing, and his One-Spot died. None of the other pedals in the chain died.

Any idea what might have happened? There was no burning smell, and everything looks fine.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We replaced the One-spot, and everything else still worked. My TS7 does not, with or without battery, or on the new One-Spot, or on the plug it was happily using all year at home. And yes, I've been testing with a cord in the input jack.

Sorry, I've been reading philosophical treatises on the justifications for criminal punishment and my brain is a little jellified.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, anyone know how to get in contact with Joe? He's dropped off the map again, and he helped me when I inadvertently fried a Bloody Murder's opamp a while back.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I would first suspect a loose DC-in port? If you wiggle it, does it work?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would first suspect a loose DC-in port? If you wiggle it, does it work?
Nope. Already tried that, and it also doesn't work with a (new) battery in it.

Keep in mind, the One-spot we plugged it into does not function anymore, for any pedal... and the fully-functioning one at home it sat with for years isn't working with it either, while powering the pedals to either side of it.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Something fried.

Do you have some way to trace the signal? If so, you could probably find out which component took a dump.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something fried.

Do you have some way to trace the signal? If so, you could probably find out which component took a dump.
I do not. No voltmeter or ohmmeter or anything. I wonder if there's a cheap EE/tech I can find somewhere nearby. I do have a soldering iron, but that's not helpful till I find the problem :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, you're in NYC, there's got to be someone who fixes pedals there.
The issue is finding someone who does not charge an arm and a leg :(

Could be worse though.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I don't know what the box looks like internally, but look for swollen or burst electrolytic capacitors, brown marks around any contact points on the board, or any sign of physical damage.

If I were you I'd snag a cheap multimeter, they're really a valuable tool even if you know how to do just a few things with them. You can set the meter to ohms and check for infinite resistance (open circuit) across various components. Since parts are so cheap, you could also try to replace the opamp and just see if that fixes the problem.

Can anyone tell me the basic list of mods done in the Chaos mod?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Bring it to Kevan's. We've both got multimeters, and lots of experience tinkering :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even if the opamp went, it's not just the opamp. The LED should at least be lighting up if that were the case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts