Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as much as I try to like the modern Duncan JB I just never do. No matter what guitar or wood I try it in. I find it to be too trebly and it just never seems to have that mojo that you heard in those classic 80's hair metal tones like Demartini's. So I figured I would try out the real thing from back in the day. Picked this up on the Bay. It's an old JBJ. The extra J stands for Maricela Juarez. She is the head of the Duncan Custom shop presently. So being that it was wound by the Duncan's best back in the day the old JBJ's are said to have more warmth and tonefullness. Hopefully that is true. This pickup is super clean being that it is probably around 20 or so years old. Tests at 16.8K. I also have a 59' from the same era coming. They will be going in my Agile AL Albino.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If you like the old-style JB sound, buy a Suhr Aldrich. It's like a JB without excessive honk and harshness, but plenty of that 80s "snarl" and bite.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I thought the same thing, but in my research I found that they all read high 16's. But resistance doesn't always equal output. I have read a lot of stuff on the Duncan forums that they sound wamer/ We will see how it goes. As for the Aldrich I love them, but was going the cheaper route here. I got this pickup and the neck 59' for less than just an Aldrich bridge goes for.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also the uber expensive and supposedly uber awesome Duncan Custom Shop Demartini RTM is supposed to be based on the old JBJ only with an Alnico 2 magnet instead of a Alnico 5. Yet as is the case with most sig model pickups that is not what he used when he recorded all the Ratt stuff. It was the JBJ.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Jackson JB != standard JB. Jackson had something specific wound for their guitars in the 80s, some tweak to the JB that really makes them growl.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Jackson JB != standard JB. Jackson had something specific wound for their guitars in the 80s, some tweak to the JB that really makes them growl.
It makes them pop up small activity notifications from the taskbar? :scratch:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
It makes them pop up small activity notifications from the taskbar? :scratch:
Sorry, but why are you here? I see no mention of Blazes in this thread.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got it installed today. Not sure if it's the pickup or just that I stuck it in a big slab of mahogany, but I definately like it more than any JB I have tried lately. It seems to have a bit thicker tone. Definately can nail that 80's metal tone as well as old thrash type stuff with a little more gain. Seems like it will work perfectly for what I want it to do.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
JBs absolutely love mahogany, the old ones especially. Remember that the pickup was originally designed for Jeff Beck, who was playing Les Pauls at the time.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Biggest difference is the magnet gauss strength. Rough cast A5 and 20+years of age. We just released Antiquity JB and Jazz, plus a 35th anniversary model and I'm sure everyone is going to be like "See I knew the old ones were different!" but 99% of it is the aging magnet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts