Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
I have Duncan Customs in my H7 and DiMarzio Imperiums in my Jackson Franken-7. The Customs are tried & true. The Imperiums are lower output, a bit more articulate, but lack a bit of that hi-mid/hi crispness I love from the Customs. Ultimately, I'll probably sell the Imperiums and replace them with a set of Elysian Trident IIs when I have some spare cash again.

This is Customs panned left, Imperiums panned right:

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/the-sound-wizard-5-1-3

·
Read Only
0 Posts
If you shoot Adam (elysian) a note I bet he could come up with something rad to fit your routes.

:crabclaw:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I always dug the Dimarzio PAF 7. But I also use a lot of gain and tend to lean towards lower to medium output pickups. Crappy cell video but this was my Prestige Ibanez with PAF 7s, through a 6505+ 120 watt.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always dug the Dimarzio PAF 7. But I also use a lot of gain and tend to lean towards lower to medium output pickups.
Typically that's what I do as well, boost and use the gain on the preamp. I just figured maybe I should not be an old fogey and try some of these new fangled "modern" sounding pickups.

I ended up snagging the Fishman open core classics. $425 Canadian ruples when all was said and done...

I also found out that the pickups I installed on Coop's Solar guitar were the classics, so turns out I've already tried the classics and liked them, so that's reassuring. I believe his Solar is maple neck through mahogany wings so hopefully it's somewhat similar.

Hopefully they don't take too long to arrive, the Sii7 is just sitting sadly on my workbench after I've fitted the electronics.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Typically that's what I do as well, boost and use the gain on the preamp. I just figured maybe I should not be an old fogey and try some of these new fangled "modern" sounding pickups.

I ended up snagging the Fishman open core classics. $425 Canadian ruples when all was said and done...

I also found out that the pickups I installed on Coop's Solar guitar were the classics, so turns out I've already tried the classics and liked them, so that's reassuring. I believe his Solar is maple neck through mahogany wings so hopefully it's somewhat similar.

Hopefully they don't take too long to arrive, the Sii7 is just sitting sadly on my workbench after I've fitted the electronics.
Right on and those being popular right now, if you don't dig them it wont be hard to sell some barely used pickups. Stuff like the PAF 7s you can find all day long used and cheap, since people like to change them out of perfectly fine instruments like the Ibanez I used to have.

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
If you want something off the beaten path and arent in need of the JB/59 "classic rock" tone and want something more modern, then I love the Full Shreds from duncan. They are great for heavier stuff without getting muddy.

Depending on the guitar, I love the Custom (SH-5) in the bridge and the sentient is a great neck pickup. The pegasus and nazgul suck big time tho.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Post some clips when you get 'em installed. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah, my playing is absolute shit, and I honestly don't even know if I can play a whole song anymore. I'm basically a collection of random Iced Earth and Emperor riffs at this point :lol:

I'm more of a guitar enthusiast than a guitar player these days.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Well, get back on the horse. :horseshh:

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm trying :lol: At the start of the pandemic I had barely touched my guitars in probably 2+ years, then I started a 6 month term on loan to another team at work that essentially allowed me to work 100% from home, which was good with the birth of my daughter in April.

Beginning of November I went back to my old job which meant braving the plague ridden wasteland, but luckily I got offered a permanent position on another team that means I'll be able to work from home 100% of the time, I think even after the plague has fucked off. So, hopefully that will start soon and I can play while I work, should help matters.

I was never an amazing player, had a decent right hand for rhythm though.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
I'm trying :lol: At the start of the pandemic I had barely touched my guitars in probably 2+ years, then I started a 6 month term on loan to another team at work that essentially allowed me to work 100% from home, which was good with the birth of my daughter in April.

Beginning of November I went back to my old job which meant braving the plague ridden wasteland, but luckily I got offered a permanent position on another team that means I'll be able to work from home 100% of the time, I think even after the plague has fucked off. So, hopefully that will start soon and I can play while I work, should help matters.

I was never an amazing player, had a decent right hand for rhythm though.
I'm definitely not an amazing player either, so don't let that stop you. :lol: Just set aside 30 minutes a day to play, whether it's structured practice or goofing off. Before long you'll be back where you were and then start noticing improvement.

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
For different from what you have, even though you already bought some, I like the Duncan Duality. Quite a bit, actually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts