Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
can't comment on the other units you mentioned but I had the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it worked just fine. I bought the 3rd generation with the USB-C port for like $170 on zzounds.com. once I got the HX stomp I didn't need it anymore and sold it. it was nice and small and didn't take up too much room. the USB-C cable provided enough power to run it I didn't have to worry about a wall wort or anything. I'd buy one again if I ditched my digital rig.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have a stomp and and the second gen Focusrite 2i2. If you get a 2i2 make sure it is a third gen, the second gen has clipping issues with hot/active pickups.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I've just changed over to a Steinberg UR824, I've found that using an interface designed specifically for Cubase has been a huge bonus. It also came with bundled software that got me right up to date with the latest and greatest Pro version, worth hunting around to see if anyone's doing good deals on partner software.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,247 Posts
I'd always recommend the Scarlett 2i2. My buddy bought one and it's great. I wouldn't worry about MIDI on the interface itself really. If you're recording yourself, you'll have different takes for different channels and effects anyways. Just don't forget a decent set of cans or some monitors.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oof, that's $900 here :lol: I'm assuming I'll probably just use Reaper for the free-ness of it.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd always recommend the Scarlett 2i2. My buddy bought one and it's great. I wouldn't worry about MIDI on the interface itself really. If you're recording yourself, you'll have different takes for different channels and effects anyways. Just don't forget a decent set of cans or some monitors.
Any benefit to getting a 2i2 over a solo? Only plan to plug in my guitar, no need for other channels, unless I can cheat and do double tracking with 2 inputs coming from each side of my power amp.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,247 Posts
For the extra £30 it costs over here, I'd rather have the two mic pre's and not need them, than need them and not have them. Plus, IIRC, the outputs on the Solo are RCA jacks, rather than 1/4" jacks.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the difference here is $70 + tax, so not an insignificant portion of it. What do you use the outputs for? Like I'm literally just plugging my guitar in to my computer, or the output from my amp if I go the Captor route.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Honestly I'd recommend the 2i4 if you can swing it for that reason. Even if you're just recording yourself, there were many times where I felt having two extra outs would be very helpful. You can probably get a 2nd gen pretty cheaply used, and they're just fine.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,247 Posts
Well the difference here is $70 + tax, so not an insignificant portion of it. What do you use the outputs for? Like I'm literally just plugging my guitar in to my computer, or the output from my amp if I go the Captor route.
How do you plan to listen back to what you've recorded or are playing? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at the product page I think it has quarter inch outputs on the newer one on the back, hard to tell because since everything is so black :lol:

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-solo

But I had just planned to use headphones so as to not wake a potentially sleeping baby. I have a set of Senheiser headphones that I'm thinking should be good enough for my intended purpose.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I know absolutely fuck all about recording so if I'm missing a reason that these things are important please let me know :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,446 Posts
I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo that I got for free with a purchase I made in 2019 and it's definitely enough for what you've described. Hell, I have a nicer audio interface, but I still use the Focusrite when I'm using Skype, even though I don't use it for recording music anymore (and if you're going to ask why I still use the Solo for some things, it's because it's small and convenient).

How do you plan to listen back to what you've recorded or are playing? :lol:
Maybe this is just me, but I've been recording with audio interfaces for about 14 years now and have owned 4 different audio interfaces, but I've never listened to what I'm recording with anything other than studio headphones. Is that not normal? Sure, once I'm done recording guitar, bass, vocals, etc., I'll disconnect my audio interface and listen to what I recorded through my PC's speakers, but that's afterwards.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,247 Posts
It's honestly more of a preference thing for me. I'd rather track through monitors, and mix through them, then make tweaks referencing between my monitors, cans, and a few other sources. I'm gonna spend most of my time listening and mixing on monitors, so figure I might as well track with them too.
Plus, I fucking hate headphones at the best of times :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That seems reasonable, but again, this is me recording for practice and maybe a little track here and there, not looking to go down the rabbit hole of announcing an album and having it take 10 years like Drew :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I basically use my 2i4 as a soundcard, instead of having speakers connected to my PC. That's a way the extra outputs can come in handy - I can have my stereo system connected via RCA, while any potential monitors could be connected to the balanced outputs. I still basically only record on my headphones though.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I wasn't suggesting getting a UR824, just that since you mentioned a Steinberg unit, you might find that some retailers offer it bundled with a really decent level of Cubase too.

·
Premium Member
23,421 Posts
I have a Focusrite 2i4, but I really only use one set of monitor/speakers with it, so I could probably get by with the 2i2. Everything I've recorded and posted has been my AxeFx running into the 2i4 and right into Reaper.

I've got a Torpedo Live that sounds amazing, too, and the Two Notes software has decent power amp sims if you're just running a preamp into it, but the AxeFx is just an easy-button compared to my tube rigs, which is kind of in pieces due to my small space.

But, typically...

Guitar > AxeFx (amp sim, cab sim) > 2i4
Guitar > Mesa Studio Pre > Torpedo (power sim, cab sim) > 2i4
Guitar > Mesa Studio Pre + Mesa 2:90 > Torpedo (load, cab sim) > 2i4

Functionally, I could also utilize the stereo quality of the 2:90...

Guitar > Mesa Studio Pre + 2:90...
... L > Torpedo (load, cab sim) > 2i4
... R > 2x12 > SM57 > 2i4

And I'm sure I could insert the AxeFx between the guitar and preamp to capture a DI, as well... :lol:

I haven't bothered with DI's or reamping or anything because I'm trying to focus on capturing ideas, arrangements, and the like. When I get to a finished arrangement, I'll probably set the tubes back up to try "real-amp" recording, and maybe some reamping with DI's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts