Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
It's probably for the best anyway... their record deals in the 70s, 80s must have been fairly poor terms for them and it all disappeared on drugs... now they are clean they get some more money!

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^heh.

It's kind of sad if you think about it. I mean, they've been around for decades, lots of radio hits with different generations, released like 15 albums, headlined around the world among a list of other things.... and this is what they made the most money from?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well:

He only mentions how much the game made, not how much Aerosmith got.

He's including what he's assuming are concert and album sales that were due to them being in the game.

Also, there's inflation to keep in mind.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Activision CEO Bobby Kotick was quoted by MTV Multiplayer at the company's analyst day as saying that the band is enjoying more than just exposure to new fans and renewed interest of loyal rockers thanks to the videogame tie-in.
The source makes that claim somewhat suspect, considering he clearely has a horse in this race as well as probably isn't too up on the bands finances.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I had read one time they made little to nothing until Walk This Way, and they still didnt make a lot of money, but it broke them again and they were able to take a bigger cut of sales.
Do you mean the '80s rap version? They did pretty well before that, but undoubtedly they became a mainstream pop band after that.

I call total bullshit on the GH thing, if it's comparing their GH earnings versus their earnings from every album in a recording career that goes back to 1973. Prior to Permanent Vacation in the '80s, their only huge album was Toys In The Attic, but most of their albums were consistent sellers over that entire time. And obviously they became huge from Permanent Vacation onward for a long time.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you mean the '80s rap version? They did pretty well before that, but undoubtedly they became a mainstream pop band after that.

I call total bullshit on the GH thing, if it's comparing their GH earnings versus their earnings from every album in a recording career that goes back to 1973. Prior to Permanent Vacation in the '80s, their only huge album was Toys In The Attic, but most of their albums were consistent sellers over that entire time. And obviously they became huge from Permanent Vacation onward for a long time.
I was wondering myself if inflation was factored in. I'm pretty sure it's more just by straight up dollar wise.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
The source makes that claim somewhat suspect, considering he clearely has a horse in this race as well as probably isn't too up on the bands finances.
Quoting for emphasis since this is an aspect everyone seems to have missed - this isn't Aerosmith claiming that they'd made the most money from GH, this is someone from Activision, the game publisher, claiming that Aerosmith made the most money from GH.

I mean, Activision probably doesn't get copies of the band members financial statements exactly, you know? :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.