Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· OldSchool Blacksmith
2,902 Posts
Ola needs to do a Rocka Sig Model. Think of all the places you could add super glue!!

· Premium Member
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done making it look like a $150 guitar mate :lol:
What do you mean?

No guitar has ever GLUED their pickup rings, at least not that I know, except my

BESIDES

Direct mount guitars looks unfinished.

Like "I'm too lazy to install pickup rings, let's just leave it with out it, and make more money because of less materials and labor involved"

That's how I see it

Pickup rings complete a guitar look

· Premium Member
3,834 Posts
BESIDES

Like "I'm too lazy to install pickup rings, let's just leave it with out it, and make more money because of less materials and labor involved"

That's how I see it

No they dont, its you that just don't like the look ;)

In fact they look better since they cant hide awful routing under a crap plastic thing.

· OldSchool Blacksmith
2,902 Posts

That's how I see it

Gotta say, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the direct mount thing came from some company trying to shave money off production costs. "If we can save $.50 a guitar and we sell 10,000 units that's $5000 added to our bottom line!"

But, I know a lot of people prefer the ring-less thing. To each his/her own...

On a less serious note: Just imagine how much Ola could save in screws by using superglue! His profits would soar by pennies on every unit.

· Premium Member
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course

So anybody saying pickup rings looks "cheaper" is objectively wrong.

You save:

1 pickup ring
2 drill holes (you only need to drill 2 holes for the pickup)

Same thing with saying a solid gloss finish looks cheaper than a natural oil finish.

The solid finish costs more in material and takes longer to finish and cure, rather than just applying a couple layers of oil that cures over night.
And you dont need safety gear/rooms when finishing with oil either.

Solid finishes are in other words objectively more of a luxury than oiled guitars.

· Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,943 Posts
It's debatable whether pickup rings look better or not, but I hate direct mounted pickups on a functional level.
Pickups are incredibly sensitive to distance from the strings, some more-so than others, so if you change action or want to do any set-up changes, you've got to take the damn things out and pack them with foam or whatever, rather than just a few turns of a screw. Plus direct-mounting butchers the tabs, rendering them unusable in anything else other than another direct-mount guitar if you feel like swapping them out. Not without either changing the baseplate amongst other things. Rings or pickguard or GTFO.

· Read Only
62,440 Posts
I prefer guitars without rings, but I totally understand why people like them - the utility factor can't be beat.

Having said that, if your Solar is a guitar you adjust pickup heights on often, just screw the damn things into the guitar like a normal person man. It's a tool, not a priceless artifact. :wub:

· Premium Member
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never do it. When I install a pickup I set it at a "normal distance that doesn't sound too muddy or is too hot or catching the strings with magnetics" from strings and just ROCK OUT!

ROCKING OUT > worry about pickup height :flex:

But these are factory installed and I haven't bothered hiehging or downing them at aALLLLL

· Premium Member
32,642 Posts
It's debatable whether pickup rings look better or not, but I hate direct mounted pickups on a functional level.
Pickups are incredibly sensitive to distance from the strings, some more-so than others, so if you change action or want to do any set-up changes, you've got to take the damn things out and pack them with foam or whatever, rather than just a few turns of a screw. Plus direct-mounting butchers the tabs, rendering them unusable in anything else other than another direct-mount guitar if you feel like swapping them out. Not without either changing the baseplate amongst other things. Rings or pickguard or GTFO.
:agreed:

I actually prefer the look of pickup rings, although I can understand why others don't. No one can argue the utility, though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts