Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I jammed my rectoverb a couple times, and had lots of time to play with all the knobs. I've gotten used to EQing the amp with my ears and not my eyes, because mesa's EQ system is fucking strange as balls. I will add in here as an aside that i haven't used it and band volume with a boost yet. It made a big difference in how much I liked the tone at bedroom volumes. Just wasn't jiving with the tone tho.

One of the days I was at the jam space rippin' it up I happened on a room of guys playin' some cool pseudo pantera stuff and the dude let me play his 5150 for a minute and it was instant gratification. Like, whatever setting he had going with and SD-1, and his single EMG charvel. Sounded phenominal. Dude made the analogy, "5150's man, they're like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good."

Sadly it seems neither amp will do everything I want, since I like to mess around with REALLY cleany cleans and the 5150 can't do that...ever. The mesa on the other hand has beautiful sparkly cleans, just the way I like it. I just can't haven't clicked with the dirty stuff yet.

As soon as the opportunity presents itself, I will be putting my nova drive in front of the recto at band volumes and seeing how it goes. Any sugestions before I flip this bitch?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
In my experience, the ROV is a great rock amp, but a mediocre at best metal amp. The 5150 is a fantastic metal amp, and a mediocre clean amp.

Have you considered something like a Mark V?

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience, the ROV is a great rock amp, but a mediocre at best metal amp. The 5150 is a fantastic metal amp, and a mediocre clean amp.

Mark V is fantastic, but it's $2250 +13% tax, and possible electronics tax as well (yay canada). I have an HD pro & velocity 300. It does everything for the most part, but I wanted a tube amp. Only paid $675 for the rectoverb, so it was a steal at the time.

Seriously considering the 5150 III Mini tho. It has both cleany cleans and super heavyness at the same time. (There are some volume matching issues between the shared clean and crunch channels, but that's a non issue, since i really only do super clean and raging metal) It's also small (which I like), has midi, series effects loop, and only 35lbs. Love the look of it too.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts

I'v had mine for years now and i get fucking brootal metal tones from it.

What speakers are you running on it? I have a 4x12 peavey blackwidow cab with swamp thangs and a mesa 2x12 with v30's. I DEFINATLY prefer the swamp thangs, but i'm not a fan of v30's.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

What speakers are you running on it? I have a 4x12 peavey blackwidow cab with swamp thangs and a mesa 2x12 with v30's. I DEFINATLY prefer the swamp thangs, but i'm not a fan of v30's.
Used both my 2x12 (v128 & man-o-war), and then a buddy's 2x12 (mesa w/ v30s). not a big fan of either. Not with this amp at least. I prefer every other amp I've owned for metal over this one, currently. Even my HT-5.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Have you played a 5150?

Drew had a ROV forever, and while it certainly smoked his old Nomad for metal tones, it wasn't even close to that apocalyptic grind that the 5150/6505/etc has.

(Not to bag on the ROV - different strokes and such)

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts

I liked my ROV for metal but it definitely shined at rock and hard rock. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I would love to try out one of the new 5150III minis.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Dude, if you like how the 5150 sounds, and you need cleans, sell the Rectoverb and get the 5150III mini.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I too like the instant gratification factor that a 5150 holds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are the Rectoverb and Single Rectifier pretty much the same amp? I am using a series 2 Single Rectifier with a Ts808 boost and Mxr Eq through a Vader cab and it kills when cranked, sounds so heavy. Although the 5150 plug and play is quite nice, I do love my Mesa.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Have you played a 5150?

Drew had a ROV forever, and while it certainly smoked his old Nomad for metal tones, it wasn't even close to that apocalyptic grind that the 5150/6505/etc has.

(Not to bag on the ROV - different strokes and such)
yea. That would be what i had if i didnt have a mesa. I just like the thick recto sound. I'v been very interested in a 5150iii aswell.

I get some pretty hardcore tones from it though. I need to record a clip that does the brootals

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
The rectoverbs IIRC are dual recs that are a bit mellower amps. For high gain recto crunch, IMO it's really best to go with the more mainstream recto amps.

Having said that the sound of the recto and the 6505 are very different, yet both are absolutely awesome. I'd say hit a music shop that will allow you to crank the heck out of both of them with a boost up front (especially for the recto, it's just about mandatory) and go to town with both. See which is better for you. I personally think they're both outstanding and would use either as my main amp.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Boost and volume really helps with the single Recs, otherwise they're a fizzy muddy mess. But the 5150iii does sound like it's up your alley.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The rectoverbs IIRC are dual recs that are a bit mellower amps. For high gain recto crunch, IMO it's really best to go with the more mainstream recto amps.

Having said that the sound of the recto and the 6505 are very different, yet both are absolutely awesome. I'd say hit a music shop that will allow you to crank the heck out of both of them with a boost up front (especially for the recto, it's just about mandatory) and go to town with both. See which is better for you. I personally think they're both outstanding and would use either as my main amp.
youre thinking of the tremoverb. The rectoverb is pretty much a single recto with a verb tank in it.

·
The Beard
448 Posts
Honestly, I love rectos for metal. With and without boosts in front. They do have one annoying thing though, which is they most certainly like their volume, else they don't open up at all. I don't mean power amp distortion, mind you - it's really a Boogie thing for the most part (my MkII is the same, so were Marks III and IV). This makes it quite fiddly to use them in smaller venues with tons of volume limitation issues.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I had a rectoverb for a while before I went to my mark III
this is what I did and it amde a huge difference.
used KT-77 power tubes
SD-1 boost (lordofChaos modded) in front
MXR 10 band in the loop (I always use one in every tube amp I've ever run)
Way better this way than just running it cranked. The 10 band brings it alive at lower volumes and lets you fine tune out the flub and fizz.
I actually really liked it when I had it but it was not a good 'at home" amp and that's all I used it for.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a rectoverb for a while before I went to my mark III
this is what I did and it amde a huge difference.
used KT-77 power tubes
SD-1 boost (lordofChaos modded) in front
MXR 10 band in the loop (I always use one in every tube amp I've ever run)
Way better this way than just running it cranked. The 10 band brings it alive at lower volumes and lets you fine tune out the flub and fizz.
I actually really liked it when I had it but it was not a good 'at home" amp and that's all I used it for.
Well I'm gonna take a stab at running a boost (nova drive) and put my 10 band EQ in the loop and see how that does. Probably still getting sold tho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts