Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back home 3 hours ago, plugged into my retubed knicklehead reverb,
and couldnt dial in my sound, a process that took a few minutes with the JJ e34l's.

(My tech swapped out the JJ's because they were microphonic).

I think these sovtek's arent really working for me, I'm not sure why, they're not nailing my sound the way the JJ's did.

I'd say they maybe dont have the same bite or maybe rich harmonics the JJ had, I feel they are abit sterile maybe.

The leads sounds better with the sovteks though, alot more rounded and less sharp,
but my main gripe is about rhythm, not lread tones.

Anyone here did this move from sovtek el34's(these are the wxt) to JJ's e34l's or the opposite, like me?

Any suggestions? other tubes that will sound more like the JJ but also consistent?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
(My tech swapped out the JJ's because they were microphonic).
This could be ignorance on my part, but I've never heard of power tubes needing to be swapped because they were microphonic. Preamp, sure, but not poweramp.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, when I called rivera and told them what happened, they said it sounds like the tubes were microphonic.

The tech said the same thing, so I'm pretty positive thats what happened.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Well, when I called rivera and told them what happened, they said it sounds like the tubes were microphonic.

The tech said the same thing, so I'm pretty positive thats what happened.
Ringing noises when you mute the guitar after a note, and occasional squealing? That's preamp microphonic tubes, not poweramp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Sovteks are stock in a lot of cheaper amps because they are consistent, cheap, and durable.

They're not the "richest" tubes, but they are good at what they do.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ringing noises when you mute the guitar after a note, and occasional squealing? That's preamp microphonic tubes, not poweramp.
Not exactly what I had, this is not the subject and what I'm upset about now though so I'm not willing to get into this.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Not exactly what I had, this is not the subject and what I'm upset about now though so I'm not willing to get into this.
I'm asking, not just to split hairs or be a dick, but because I'm wondering if the power amp tubes were even a problem to begin with. How old were the JJs? What exactly was the problem that made you think they were microphonic? Do you still have the JJs?

I mean, power tubes are so far back in the gain staging, I really don't see how a microphonic tube could be a problem in the same way they often are in the preamp slots...

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I'm with Drew on this one, from my experience power tubes just wear out and sag or they blow out and kill volume. I've never heard of a power tube going microphonic either and I've been playing tube amps for something like 15 years now.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I took out two JJ KT77's out of the JSX because they were microphonic :shrug: - bought 2 JJ 6L6's and the problem was solved. I did the ole pencil test.

I highly doubt that the change in brand made that big a difference in the amp's tone, by the way.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what could actually make me fighting the sovtek's to sound good but having great sound with the JJ's after 5 minutes?

By the way, I talked to my tech and he said he'll have new JJ sets in he's store in two weeks, he offered me to take that time to play the sovtek's and if I'm not happy with them he'll switch the sovtek's to JJ's for me without an extra charge, I may go for that.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
The Sovteks are stock in a lot of cheaper amps because they are consistent, cheap, and durable.

They're not the "richest" tubes, but they are good at what they do.
Just what I said in the other thread. :yesway:

To the OP : If you like JJ's, I don't understand why you keep looking for something else. :shrug: Just wait for the replacement set.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I've always been a JJ man.

:jj:

In fact, I've got JJ's in my Sovtek MIG100H :lol:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just what I said in the other thread. :yesway:

To the OP : If you like JJ's, I don't understand why you keep looking for something else. :shrug: Just wait for the replacement set.
If he'd tell me he was making an order back than of course I'd wait, he only told me now when I called to say I dont like the sovtek's.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts