Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I've been out of a rig for a while, and well; after nearly giving up on this blackstar hunt, I'm thinking of maybe settling down with a bluesy amp like a fender delux or something and boosting it with that dandy little tight metal pedal people on ss.o are raving about:)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
What pedal?

If you can find one, my modeling Vox AD15VT can do some fairly light metal. No bruts, but closer than a DeVille.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Guys I've been out of a rig for a while, and well; after nearly giving up on this blackstar hunt, I'm thinking of maybe settling down with a bluesy amp like a fender delux or something and boosting it with that dandy little tight metal pedal people on ss.o are raving about:)
What pedals are the kids recommending these days?

I suppose a question is better than just a bump;
What amp would you guys recommend pairing the Ht dual with?
It would be my preference if I were to go this route to pair it with an amp that's relatively clean, probably a Fender of some sort. You'll still get the tube flavor that it imparts on the tone, but you'll get most of the main tone from the pedal. A good dirt box through a Twin is a pretty awesome sound.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just curious Tommeh, why not get a tube amp suited for metal?

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh, I'm just a bit wary of getting a high gain amp again; after selling mine, I was a bit empty so I headed over to my friend's and played on their rig, but I realized the fizzyness of them after a while and it kinda made me :noway: the idea of getting something similar, I figured if I got a clean amp to add distortion to, it would be more managable and less 'fizzy'

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Oh, I'm just a bit wary of getting a high gain amp again; after selling mine, I was a bit empty so I headed over to my friend's and played on their rig, but I realized the fizzyness of them after a while and it kinda made me :noway: the idea of getting something similar, I figured if I got a clean amp to add distortion to, it would be more managable and less 'fizzy'
The problem is that unless you get an amp like a keyboard amp or something, you run the chance of it being more fizzy due to the distortion preamp pedal "fighting" the clean amp's preamp.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts

Empryrean said:

What amp? Not all high gain amps are fizz bombs. :shrug:

The classic 5150/6505 is not fizzy at all...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I played through a distortion pedal into my bassist's tube Fender combo and I was not really liking the sound from it. I didn't spend much time tweaking it but it was fairly mid heavy and really bright. I like my mids but this was a bit much. I could probably have gotten something more usable from it with more time to experiment but I wasn't loving the overall sound from it for something heavier, anything classic rock or blues sounded great through it though.

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

What amp? Not all high gain amps are fizz bombs. :shrug:

The classic 5150/6505 is not fizzy at all...
5150, xxx, and a vyper :confused:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I don't find my Randall T2 really fizzy at all.

My XXX on the other hand has plenty of fizzy texture to it but it's kind of a brutal or pissed off fizz... however it does need a fresh retube.

If you're seriously considering a clean amp and distortion pedal... the pedal all the kids are raving about on sso is pretty slick... I would know *cough* just made clips w/ impulses heheh: https://soundcloud.com/wookieslayer I need to do a proper thread...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.