Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno, these days I'm not feeling the aggression from it. I'm listening to a lot more fast stuff lately, and it's really coming out in my writing. I dunno about you, but the speedier the riffs, the less I like playing them on the 7 string.

I love the bite and snarl that comes from being in, say, D standard or even Drop C or something. Just the feel of a 6 string in general is feeling preferable to me. When I'm down in Bb I tend to write the slower/groovier/chuggier stuff and it's getting a little... old.

I find it hard to get anything fast to sound good. I know bands like Unearth and Nevermore don't have that problem, but fuck it, I'm not them :lol: I'm leaning more towards that pissed off Decapitated sort of thing.

Anyone else have moments when you feel like giving the 7s a rest?

I mean, my band has a nice mix of 6 and 7 string songs, but the 7 string is definitely the more dominant tone of the band at the moment. I feel like that might make a u-turn very soon though.

As usual, I'm not sure what the point of this is. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Simon's now a doctor.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I actually switched back to 6 strings not too long ago. I felt like I was stuck in a rut riding on the B string. Though I am tuning my 6 strings to C# Standard, Drop B, and Open B there is a bit more creativity. I do plan on adding another 7 or two to my arsenal soon, I loved the feel of them and i'd like to see if the time i've had away makes me more creative with them.

·
Bored of boredom
878 Posts
Comes and goes, depending on what I'm listening to and stuff. I find that on 6 strings my riffs are more.. metal :metal:

then on my 7 and 8, I just kinda, like being really syncopated and all that crap :noway:

·
18,790 Posts
I love playing 7-string, and when I briefly didn't own one, I missed it quite a lot. My current 7-string is not really doing it for me, probably because it's too similar to one of my 6-strings, but not as nice, but I still play it because I love 7-string. I am playing mainly 6-string lately, though.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I'm actually feeling like this at the moment, except I don't own a 6'er :lol: I've ummed and aahed about getting the 6 string version of my RGD for ages.

·
IN THE FAAACE!
1,247 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I'm in a dropped tuning 6-string phase. But the 7 will never leave my collection.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Blankplank said:
I'm actually feeling like this at the moment, except I don't own a 6'er :lol: I've ummed and aahed about getting the 6 string version of my RGD for ages.
Do eet! I'm really digging the look if the new RGD 7421 seven string.

·
18,790 Posts
I just change tunings way too much. In an hour long bedroom jam I'll go from standard to drop-D to open-C to Karnivool's tuning (BF#BGBE) to various step-down variations of any of those, which I don't do as much on the 7-string (though I'll do a lot of drop-A or drop-D/A).

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simon, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, that could be taken so many ways :lol:. Are you saying just throw caution to the wind and get into sixes, or stop being a pussy and play in low tunings? :lol:

I felt like I was stuck in a rut riding on the B string. Though I am tuning my 6 strings to C# Standard, Drop B, and Open B there is a bit more creativity.
This, and...

I find that on 6 strings my riffs are more.. metal :metal:
...this, are definitely what I was trying to get at. My higher-tuned stuff is way more 'metal', and more creative. It's certainly relating more to my newer style and direction. When I first got into 7 strings I was in a real moment of making everything have that low groovy swing, but after about 3 tracks of that shit it's time for a change :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
:lol:

Not really a funk I get into, man. I tend not to just riff on the lowest note in a lot of my songs though (and having a keys player in the band helps mix up the key I write in). I've got into 'guitar playing' funks quite a bit, but never over the amount of strings on the guitar, since anything I can do on a 6, I can on a 7. :shrug:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
I go back and forth. A 7 has been my main guitar since 1997. However, every know & then, I decide to play a 6 down in B standard from time to time just to...
a) change things up to keep it fresh.
b) challenge me to rethink songs I originally wrote on 7s.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I only own two 6ers so when I get a bit tired of the 7's, I'll play those for a bit.....and it just makes me realize how much I love playing 7's more.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Different mood, different music, different guitar. I don't think there's much more to look into it.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have two custom shop Jackson 7 strings that I haven't touched in two years. I'm pretty sure that they're each missing a string at the moment and have a good coating of dust.

I'm just enjoying C# or drop-B on a 6er a whole lot more than my 7s these days.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Never really find that to be honest. I do have the odd song that uses only 6 strings, but they are in E Standard anyway so I already have my 7's for that.

I don't find myself forced down a certain way because of it though. I think it might be because I've played 7's for all but 1 year of playing, so it isn't really a different feel for me.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I've been playing my Iceman more than my sevens as of late, not sure if thats to do with the shorter scale on it or it having a fixed bridge and wanting to mess about in other tunings, but its just fun as hell to play.

I think I'll always prefer sevens though, even if I write songs on them that sometimes don't even go onto the low B string, I just feel comfortable on them. It's good to mix things up occasionally, be it on a different guitar or something with more/less strings as it inspires you to look at things from a different perspective and venture out of your comfort zone.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts