Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Well, that's interesting. Because I'm not really feeling six-strings. :lol: If I want to play something in E, well, what the fuck? I've already got that on my seven string. D? Already got that too? C? That too? Hey, I've got E, Eb, D, Db, C, and B all in standard!

I never really understood guys who had a mental block about sevens and thought they could only use their lowest string or could only write one type of music.

Sorry, Mattayus, but you actin' that way, yo. Not logical.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the "it's got all the things of a 6 string and more" perspective, because it's not just about the key I'm writing in, it's the general feel, and the psychology of the writing approach etc I suppose.

It may just be that I'm bored of my current 7 string and need a change. I need to go try out some shit and see where that lands me I suppose, both 6 and 7.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
Yeah, I know what you're saying. Sometimes, when I play my 7 strings, I feel like "fuck, I need more strings."

So, then I go back to my 8.

Wait, what were you saying?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I feel that way with 6's now. The neck feels too small in my hands, and I can't extend arpeggios as far as I want to.

Really, I just feel much more comfortable on a 7.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Different mood, different music, different guitar. I don't think there's much more to look into it.
This. I always switch back and forth, depending on my mood. I don't think it has to be one or the other.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the "it's got all the things of a 6 string and more" perspective, because it's not just about the key I'm writing in, it's the general feel, and the psychology of the writing approach etc I suppose.

It may just be that I'm bored of my current 7 string and need a change. I need to go try out some shit and see where that lands me I suppose, both 6 and 7.
Yeah, I think you should look at selling that LTD :D

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
We need to meet up finally, dude. You can get to play it and I can play some of yours etc, see if I have just fallen out of love with it :(

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts

My sixes just feel too small and I get the feeling like I'm missing something (which I am. Technically I'm missing 36 "notes" since my sixes have 22 frets, while my sevens all have 24).

I guess I really prefer the "general feel" of sevens. It might be because I have pretty big hands, but the sevens fit my hands better. Sixes feel too small and eights feel a tad too big.

I don't have any psychological writing approach differences per guitar either. I can write the same kind of stuff on a six, seven, eight, baritone six, baritone seven, or whatever, but I suppose that's probably not normal. Some people seem to be influenced by how their guitar looks. Like, they can't play jazz on a BC Rich and can't play brutal death metal on a telecaster. :shrug:

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Playing a 6 just feels weird to me.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
^

When I only played just 7 strings, it felt like that to me. Then, for whatever reason, the 7-strings stayed for a couple of months in its case and I only played 6ers. After a couple of weeks, that feeling or the one that 6ers are too small went away by itself. There's a transition time, I guess, but YMMV.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I can't really have an accurate opinion on this because most of my favorite guitars only exist in a 6 string form. I can't really say I prefer a 6 or 7 because I probably just prefer that type of guitar. For example, my main guitar now is a PRS SE singlecut. Before that it was a Gibson SG Special with a medium neck carve (had the 50s style one thinned a bit). Neither of those has an equivalent in the 7 string world. I can seee having an honest preference or not if your main guitar is an RG550 and your main 7 is an RG7620 or something similar, but when I pick up most 7s, I can't be as comfortable because in addition to the extra string, almost every other stat and spec is different as well.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
6-strings are "home" for me. I tried a few 7's but was never quite comfortable playing them. it was cool to have and mess around with, but even my 7620 I (*Deckard Cain voice* regrettably) sold, which played like a million kinds of awesome just never jived with me properly.

A long while ago I went to visit Brian Bowes, of Bowes Guitars and played a few of the git boxes he had there. I played his wenge/maple 7 and the katalox 7 and was like "These are pretty awesome, but not quite what I want". Then I picked up the shedua 6 and it was like crawling into your own bed after you've been sleeping on the floor in someone's basement for a week.

6-strings are where it's at for me, and likely will be for quite some time.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I'm in a rut with 7 Strings so I'm more focused on 6 strings at the moment.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Well interestingly I'm probably on the other side I suppose, where at the moment I don't actually own a 7 string! Shocking I know. :noway:

I've owned 7's in the past and always regretted the ones I've let go so when it came time to order a new present for myself in 2012 I went for a Carvin DC727, so I'm currently waiting very impatiently for it to be built so I can get my hands on it! :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Well, that's interesting. Because I'm not really feeling six-strings. :lol: If I want to play something in E, well, what the fuck? I've already got that on my seven string. D? Already got that too? C? That too? Hey, I've got E, Eb, D, Db, C, and B all in standard!
To me, an open E chord sounds very different on a 7 than it does on a 6. There's something about the thickness of the neck, and the attack angle of the pick that just gives it a different timbre. Having the same notes doesn't mean that they have the same "voice" (for lack of a better word).

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
To me, an open E chord sounds very different on a 7 than it does on a 6. There's something about the thickness of the neck, and the attack angle of the pick that just gives it a different timbre. Having the same notes doesn't mean that they have the same "voice" (for lack of a better word).
Yep. The E on a 7 feels more like the A does on a 6, to me.

This is why I'm digging the ever-living shit out of my Les Paul again.

7-strings are a matter of convenience and range for me. I find that 7-strings, and even more, 8-strings, start to dramatically change and compromise from the standard rock guitar format. Fanned frets and slanted pickups help both of these things, but change one's playing experience. I grew up with a Les Paul, not a fanned-fret 8 string, so I'm a bit set in my ways in terms of what my guitar should be.

I'd trade my 7620 for a great condition 550 or 565 in a New York minute. But I'm a bit locked into using that 7th string right now, so it's not likely to happen.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts